Weight loss and birth control

Options
Has anyone mastered this combination? Particularly with the Mirana/Skyla form of BC?

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME. I have had a Mirena since I started this journey. I had my daughter 3 years ago and was at my heaviest then. I had the Mirena for 5 years before then and we decided to get pregnant when it was time to remove it. I replaced it after having her. I have lost almost 50 lbs all while having the Mirena.
  • KF500T
    KF500T Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! I'm switching to this after using the ring for a long time and have heard it is easier to lose and maintain weight from some people....and then heard from another lady that she gained a ton of weight on it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've had the mirena for 3 years. I've steadily lost over 30 pounds.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes,
    the calorie deficit works for me.
    I have the ring
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Mirena and a 30 lb loss since December. I gained the thirty pounds in about 6 weeks on zyprexa last summer. I've had this Mirena for two and a half years, and I'm having it removed at the end of the summer in favor of Essure. No hormones, no babies. Ever!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Never used Mirena, but I have tried a few different types. Started with regular BC, realized that regular BC is awful for me because I have a heart condition. Switched to progestin-based BC, and then tried out the NuvaRing. Finally settled on Depo around 3 years ago, and need to transition off of it soon since I've used it so long. :(

I did gain weight while on BC, but because I wasn't tracking my food. When I log and actually keep track of my intake, I've lost steadily on Depo. BC can mess with your appetite, so it's important to log while on it. It doesn't physically cause weight gain. I lost 28lbs while on it, and maintain/lose easily on it when I want to.
  • KF500T
    Options
    I gained a little over 15 pounds while on the ring...it has been terrible! I'm praying this does the trick and it sounds like it will. I've read that some ladies tend to have nasty headaches with the Mirena, though?
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    KF500T wrote: »
    I gained a little over 15 pounds while on the ring...it has been terrible! I'm praying this does the trick and it sounds like it will. I've read that some ladies tend to have nasty headaches with the Mirena, though?

I hated the ring! I had awful cramping while on it. Plus it was just plain annoying, haha. I use BC to help manage cycle symptoms. Depo is wonderful, minus having to go in every three months to get a new shot. I hate shots. :(
  • KF500T
    Options
    Never used Mirena, but I have tried a few different types. Started with regular BC, realized that regular BC is awful for me because I have a heart condition. Switched to progestin-based BC, and then tried out the NuvaRing. Finally settled on Depo around 3 years ago, and need to transition off of it soon since I've used it so long. :(

I did gain weight while on BC, but because I wasn't tracking my food. When I log and actually keep track of my intake, I've lost steadily on Depo. BC can mess with your appetite, so it's important to log while on it. It doesn't physically cause weight gain. I lost 28lbs while on it, and maintain/lose easily on it when I want to.

Good point! I asked the doc this question, if we gain weight simply because we are on it or if it's due to appetite issues and loss of energy levels. He said 5 pounds of weight gain can usually be attributed to BC in general, but any more than that is because we tend to eat more and lose energy while on it.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Good point! I asked the doc this question, if we gain weight simply because we are on it or if it's due to appetite issues and loss of energy levels. He said 5 pounds of weight gain can usually be attributed to BC in general, but any more than that is because we tend to eat more and lose energy while on it.

Yep! As you can see, I shopped around for a TON of different options before settling on my current one. Every body is different, and some options are better for one person than another. If someone is gaining a ridiculous amount of weight on one (due to it messing with their appetite), it's generally not a bad idea to try out something new, and see if that balances everything out. People tend to think it's the BC causing the gain, but those little pills/shots/rods/IUDs don't contain the calories necessary for major gains. Your doctor seems right on the mark with his comments!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

I hated the ring! I had awful cramping while on it. Plus it was just plain annoying, haha. I use BC to help manage cycle symptoms. Depo is wonderful, minus having to go in every three months to get a new shot. I hate shots. :(

I was on depo for 8 years before switching to Mirena. The doctor said it causes bone loss is you're on it too long and that I needed to change things up. I beleive 3 years is the recommended max for Depo. Oops!
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I was on depo for 8 years before switching to Mirena. The doctor said it causes bone loss is you're on it too long and that I needed to change things up. I beleive 3 years is the recommended max for Depo. Oops!

Yep! I've been talking to my NP about it, since I'm really on the edge of the recommended time frame. For bone stuff, I've made sure that I'm getting some calcium into my days. I'm moving out-of-state soon and have to get a new PCP, so I'm not scheduling my next shot appointment, and going to talk with my new doctor about new options. It's sad; Depo is awesome! I just wish you could stay on it indefinitely, haha.
  • katieshaheen66
    katieshaheen66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and have lost 33 pounds since mid January :smile: