Fat acceptance? No way!

At age 60, I can no longer accept my fat. I can call myself a "BBW", "big boned," or "curvy," but the truth is that the extra 100 pounds I have been lugging around for the past 10 years is killing me. Being a realist, I have no desire to be a Victoria's Secret model, ever fit into a size 2 or achieve "thigh gap." I would be thrilled to wear a size 14-16, have more energy, reduce arthritis pain and be able to enjoy the things I can no longer do because my fat is holding me back. So far, I have lost 30 pounds and have 60 to go. It has been a slow, often frustrating journey, but I am making healthier choices and have not put the weight back on. I accept that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and I can not speak for anyone than myself. If there are women who can be in the morbidly obese category, and still be fit, agile, healthy and happy, then more power to them. I reject the unrealistic and unachievable standards set by the fashion industry and media, but neither can I accept that being 100 pounds overweight is acceptable, at least not for me.

Replies