Struggling to lose a pound a week

Options
2»

Replies

• ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're set as active but you're counting the exercise you do normally (walking the kids to school, running around with them, etc.) and on top of that you're counting walks as part of your normal routine AND eating those calories back, you're likely overestimating your burn. It's like double-dipping.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity what happens if you put to 1 pound a week? If you get the 1200/day goal it means that your deficit is probably not as big as you hope it would be.

You're losing on average ~1 pound a week, yes? Eating as you are, activity as it is, you'll likely continue to lose at this rate. If you think you can get enough nutrition and feel satisfied eating a little less (not eating all your walking calories back) then you can probably lose a little faster. On the other hand, if you feel you shouldn't eat below what you're eating now - nothing wrong with losing 1 per week. As you get closer to goal that likely will slow down more.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Perhaps you should have included my next sentence, where I suggested leaving an extra 100-200 calories on the table to account for any errors?
    If you're earning extra calories from your iPhone app - your activity level is probably fine in my opinion.
    If you eat them all back, though, the extra calories are a wash. They net to zero and an overstated activity level could still factor in to less loss than expected.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Well, you're bumping up against MFP's 1200 minimum, which kind of skews the analysis. If you're logging correctly and not losing the expected amount over a reasonable period of time -- probably at least a couple of months -- then you're moving less than you think or might have a medical issue. And the "logging correctly" will still be a big if.

I have two active children, housework, shopping, cooking, lifting three times a week, and about 15K steps a day and I probably wouldn't go past "lightly active."
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bottom line at 5'2" and 136 losing 2 per week would be near impossible unless you do a high amount of exercise & activity. (I classify activity as day to day stuff, and exercise as intentional for the sake of exercise.) Losing 1.5 pounds per week would still be a stiff challenge.

*Assuming you still eat at a safe level, to have proper nutritional needs met.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should have included my next sentence, where I suggested leaving an extra 100-200 calories on the table to account for any errors?
    If you're earning extra calories from your iPhone app - your activity level is probably fine in my opinion.
    If you eat them all back, though, the extra calories are a wash. They net to zero and an overstated activity level could still factor in to less loss than expected.
    Perhaps you should have read the very first post in the thread in which I wrote that eating back of all the probably overestimated burns was likely to be a factor. That had already been covered.

• gkbanister
    gkbanister Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 136# also, I started low carb on 5-7-15, and i weighed 145, its taken me til now to lose 9#. I eat 1200 cals a day. and don't eat back my exercise cals, and the only exercise I get this time of the year, is riding my horses and barn work. I think 1# a wk is fine, u don't have alot to lose. I'm gonna friend request u, we can keep in touch!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok. Here's the math.

I put your stats into this calculator and put your exercise at "light" since all you do is walk. It calculates your TDEE (the total amount of calories your body burns everyday) at 1938.

For every 1lb per week you want to lose, you would subtract 500 calories a day.

So for losing 2lbs a week: 1938 - 1000 = 938 calories a day to eat. DO NOT DO THIS! (caps for emphasis because I want it to be clear that I'm not recommending this). MFP will not give someone less than 1200 calories a day because its unhealthy and not possible to get the appropriate nutrition.

To lose 1 lbs a week: 1938 - 500 = 1438 calories a day to eat. Keep in mind that with the TDEE method, you don't eat back exercise calories because it's already built into your calorie goal. If you are at 1200 calories plus eating back exercise calories (~200 or so a day per your post above), then you are eating 1400+ change a day. This is why you are losing a pound a week. It makes sense.

To lose 0.5 lbs a week: 1938 - 250 = 1688 calories a day to eat. You could eat more food and still lose weight.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have seen this suggested to measure calories burned from running/walking...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @EmmaLevy2015:

You're doing great! One pound a week (or slightly less) is perfect for where you are right now. I would keep doing everything exactly the same way. In August or September, you'll likely slow to a half-pound a week or less. And that will likely be the right loss weight also.

Keep up the good work!
  • EmmaLevy2015
    EmmaLevy2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've set my activity to slightly active and I've put my goal at 1lb loss a week and it's given me 1360 calories! Some weeks I have lost a pound then some I have stayed the same. I will carry on with the 1200 calories a day and just eat half my excercise calories and expect to lose a pound a week. I have been a bit less strict with what I'm eating recently so need to get back on track! I was thinking about getting a Fitbit or some sort of device which may give me a more accurate calorie burn. I really do need to get some more exercise in but then that will just give me more calories to eat so I don't really know it's all so confusing! Thanks for all your help guys
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Eating at an aggressive deficit will not get you to goal any more quickly.

According to your ticker, you have 24 lbs. to go. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week and be patient.

Fitbits calculate your TDEE, the number of calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. When you connect a Fitbit, MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to your Fitbit burn minus your deficit. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've set my activity to slightly active and I've put my goal at 1lb loss a week and it's given me 1360 calories! Some weeks I have lost a pound then some I have stayed the same. I will carry on with the 1200 calories a day and just eat half my excercise calories and expect to lose a pound a week. I have been a bit less strict with what I'm eating recently so need to get back on track! I was thinking about getting a Fitbit or some sort of device which may give me a more accurate calorie burn. I really do need to get some more exercise in but then that will just give me more calories to eat so I don't really know it's all so confusing! Thanks for all your help guys

Sounds great. I wouldn't worry about eating back the calories just yet and see how it goes. You can always monitor your loss & eat some back or more on a day you are truly more aggressive with your workouts. Personal suggestion in my opinion would be too be cautious of your fat content and definitely get your protein macros up. Keep up the great work. Consistency is key.
  • EmmaLevy2015
    EmmaLevy2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes I do struggle with the protein, I have protein bars now and then to up my protein and satisfy my sweet tooth