CHARLESTON SC'S HOT AND FIT!!

Options
I NEED MOTIVATION!!! Any one around SC knows the weather is CRAZY. Well so is my weight loss!! Its too hot to run, but i wanna be "HOT AND FIT" before the end of the summer!!

Replies

• FruitLoop05317
    Options
    run at a gym where there is air conditioning, or just push through the heat....through pain comes beauty...
  • dancer_emt
    dancer_emt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I live in SC too! I totally agree with the rediculous weather changes. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other. :-)
  • TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Although it does not get as warm up here in PA (usually), I find myself gaining back lost weight during the summer. The heat turns me into a slug and with all the parties, bbqs, and treats around it is so easy to gain weight. My goal this year is to try and stay as active as possible this summer!
  • dl000062
    dl000062 Posts: 5
    Options
    I lived in Charleston but now in Ohio. I can relate to the summer time challenges either in SC or in Ohio. The key for me is getting exercise in before 7 am. It also helps by adding energy throughout the day.
  • swbernstel
    swbernstel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a Columbia dweller and definitely understand the weather you're talking about. My best advice is to run either in the morning or late afternoon. A great advantage to running in the morning is it gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day. Also, a wet bandana around the neck helps a lot too.
  • SOUTLO
    SOUTLO Posts: 2
    Options
    I live in Summerville, SC (just up the road)and my husband and I walk in the evenings after dinner at about 8 or 8:30. Otherwise, I hit the treadmill inside or the pool. Unfortunatly, he humidity will get to be too much soon:( You can also try walking the beach the breeze off the water makes it bearable at least.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Go at night. I live in West Columbia -- we are even hotter than you in Charleston! I had to cut my midday walk short because of the heat.

And its only May!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hear you... I'm in NC just 45minutes from Myrtle Beach and the weather has been crazy. Had to modify walk with dog today because it was mid-90's but she and I were desperate to get out. Stay in the A/C. You can go to the gym or do an exercise routine at home. Hope this helps:smile:
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i am in SC too, and it IS way too hot already..i understand..i think the best times would be before noon, and after 7 or 8 to be outside. it is already hitting 100 degrees here, so i really dont have much good advice for ya..but im with you on being hot and fit by summers end..best of luck
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    run at a gym where there is air conditioning, or just push through the heat....through pain comes beauty...

It's not a good idea to just "push through the heat" here. We're talking 105 degrees in the sun. Better to wait until the temps are down.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Go at night. I live in West Columbia -- we are even hotter than you in Charleston! I had to cut my midday walk short because of the heat.

And its only May!

im in w. cola too..where abouts are you ?
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< SC girl here! I stay in the gym in the summertime.........too hot! :flowerforyou:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Charleston! I go to Folly Beach at least once a year. Yes, it is just unreasonably hot and humid sometimes, but you have all that water for swimming and paddling! The Low Country Paddlers group is awesome if you're into kayaking or canoeing. Otherwise, you have to get in your workout early, or late. Still uncomfortable sometimes though - I've tried to run in Charleston at 10pm in July, and it was still 94 degrees! Good luck! Just know that, even considering the temperatures, I'd trade place with you in a heartbeat! Beautiful place! :happy:
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    I seriously don't know how anyone up there does it. The food choices are too fabulous for words! But I'm sure it's old hat when you live by it...lol. My parents were just up there this weekend to walk the city and kept sending me pictures of all the yummy places they went to eat.

Best of luck to you all - Jacksonville, FL is rather hot and muggy and all around gross all the way into the evenings lately! I think spring was only here for a long weekend...LOL
  • simonesmith83
    Options
    I’m totally in agreement with you! Like today... ANOTHER GRADUATION PARTY!!!!
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options
    Ya I hear ya, I went to basic training there in the middle of the summer. the heat sucked, but it was a good workout. early morning runs weren't to bad though
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello, i am from charleston too, feel free to add me if you want..