Spaghetti squash

Options
Is an awesome replacement for spaghetti!! I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it, so please give it a try! That is all.. :)

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yuk. Not for me. Wish I liked it.
  • leslileberman
    leslileberman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It might not have been for me, but considering I've tried all of the other super yuk spaghetti replacements it is pretty darn awesome in comparison LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    no, it is not.

real linguine is always greater than spaghetti squash, no matter how many ways you slice it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, and "spiralized" zucchini are great in italian recipes of all kinds. And many other recipes!

http://www.food.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-with-sage-and-walnuts-386211

Super nutritious!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash. I have 4 plants growing in the garden now, which should supply us until next Spring and provide a few to share with friends.

But it's not a substitute for pasta IMO. When I want pasta I have pasta, though I do now go for 1/2 calorie high fiber pasta.

But if you like it as well as pasta, have it and enjoy it. Taste is very personal.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Awesome might be a bit of a stretch.

"acceptable" "palatable"...maybe.

It works in a pinch if you're craving spaghetti sauce and need a lower-calorie option to get it into your belly. Otherwise, I'm generally more satisfied with a smaller portion of regular pasta.

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What is spaghetti squash? I'm in the uk and have read about it on various American sites but it doesn't seem to be something we produce over here. Is it the same as a butternut squash or is it more like a courgette?
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I like it as a vegetable, but I would feel deprived if I wanted pasta and had squash instead. But it's awesome that it works for you! I just wish it was easier to get round here. I meant to plant some this year and forgot and think I've left it too late.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I should try it. I actually love squash and zucchini. Of course I like pasta, but it's mostly the stuff that goes on the pasta, not the spaghetti itself, so I'm probably the right girl to try this.

Do you make it yourself?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What is spaghetti squash? I'm in the uk and have read about it on various American sites but it doesn't seem to be something we produce over here. Is it the same as a butternut squash or is it more like a courgette?

Not particularly like either one. It's an oval, yellow skinned squash with a pale colored flesh that will shred into 'spaghetti' like strands after it's cooked

baked-spaghetti-squash-garlic-butter-4564.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCWCcKl6fmWnWOyUaWiOBws9e_IuENfNABforBgUNKGfdIm4BpMQ
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm for it! I like spiralized zucchini too. I bought one of those vegettis but I really want the big paderno spiralizer. I have to keep my kitchen gadgets on the DL though cause I have a million and my husband always complains that we I'm bogarting all the kitchen space with them. I totally am.

Oh, and I'm editing because I wanted to add that sometimes I mix in some pasta with my zoodles but this helps alot cause I like a big portion.

My favorite is spaghetti squash with ham, peas, a poached egg and some shaved parmesan. I'm a sucker for a runny egg.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I've not seen them in markets in the UK, but have in U.S. and Canada.
    But you can grow them there!

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p2720/PUMPKIN-Vegetable-Spaghetti/product_info.html

EDIT! Apparently you *can* get them some places there.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Vegetables/Tesco_Spaghetti_Squash.html
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    loooove spaghetti squash. it doesn't taste just like spaghetti, but i kinda like the taste better? and i top it with all sorts of stuff- bolognese/marinara, used in pad thai dishes, honestly it's so delicious and versatile :)<3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

from the outside it looks more like butternut, and it is a winter squash like butternut. But it's taste is more like courgette. Totally different texture than both.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I've not seen them in markets in the UK, but have in U.S. and Canada.
    But you can grow them there!

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p2720/PUMPKIN-Vegetable-Spaghetti/product_info.html

EDIT! Apparently you *can* get them some places there.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Vegetables/Tesco_Spaghetti_Squash.html

They are pretty easy to grow, and can be stored for several months after harvest.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash and zucchini! So good! I often make it with a cauliflower alfredo sauce. Nom!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Love it. It makes the most luscious frittata. I like it with marinara, too -- a lot-- but don't expect it to taste like pasta.