night time snacking

Options
help, i need some sage words of advice. i do well all day long, eating my meals and snacks, i prefer low carb and have lost 10 lbs. the challenge is the evening munchies and i have no will power. i can only exercise so many times per day. how do others get past the munchie attacks? what are you eating that kills the munchies but doesn't go to the hips?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I try and make sure I have calories leftover at the end of the day because I like to snack in the evenings. Try and plan your meals a little better to give yourself wiggle room at night.

I usually eat veggie straws (you get 38 of those for 130 calories) or Special K cracker chips (27 for 110 calories), baby carrots and light ranch, etc
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My evening munchies are killed by string cheese or Chobani 0 fat yogurt.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    My late night snack is 1/2 cup frozen berries, 100 ml low fat yoghurt and some Low Cal Jello.....
  • angelquest
    angelquest Posts: 15
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with calorie free butter spray and popcorn salt! A lot of salty, crunchy, filling happy snacktime, with very few calories! I'm a nighttime snacker too....satisfies my cravings really well!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the Nabisco 100 calorie snack packs (Lorna Doone's or Fudge Stripes), or if the kids have eaten all those, I might munch on grapes or pretzels.
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I eat edy's fruit frozen bars (just 25 cals buy it at walmart) otherwise drink water without breathing :P works for me ;)
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I try to be good all day so I can have my popcorn at night. I love pop secret homestyle... The whole bag is 140 cals. It actually motivates me throughout the day!
  • veriviki
    veriviki Posts: 44
    Options
    I just got over a really bad craving by drinking a bottle of water with crystal light and eating a few baby dill pickles (about 40 calories total). Try saving some calories for night time snacking too!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Every night I slice up a whole grapefruit. This is my evening treat. The sweet and the tart are a perfect night time treat. Then I have ome water, or water with an emergen c packet in it for a little taste of sweetness, and then kitchen is closed.
  • thisishowwepray
    Options
    This is a big problem for me, too. I feel that eating at night helps me wind me down and feel like I am having some "me time." The best solutions I have found:

1) MAKE THE ENTIRE SNACK and have it outside of / away from the kitchen instead of sitting in the kitchen where there is more food or eating out of a box

2) Start with fruits and veggies*

*I will almost always end up eating dry cereal (my favorite PM snack) anyway, but this helps me get the cereal down to 200 calories or fewer instead of half a box
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree to trying to save some calories for the evening. Or plan the day like you are going to have a snack. I like to track mine the day before. This will help you know what you can (or can't) go for.

My "go to" snack is popcorn. Air popped is the lowest on calories. But if you are going "low carb" maybe get some carrots or mini cukes or something. =) Good luck!
  • semarshall17
    Options
    I usually eat fruit (Watermelon, Strawberries, Grapes), yogurt, or cereal and a piece of cheese.. and I love orange juice.. sometimes I have popcorn.. I have the mini bags, they're great for snack-sized portions! :)
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Popcorn (air popped with a low cal, small amount of butter), or a 100calorie popcorn bag. Carrots is a major part of my munching but usually by after dinner I've already had carrots so like variety. Celery w/ peanut butter. Decaf tea really helps w/appetite but im not a big tea person (caffenated dehydrates ur system so only decaf tea), werthers original sugar free if I have a sweet tooth but not many calories left. Half an apple, and can add peanut butter if I have extra cals I need to use. 2cups spinach 1tbls feta 1tbsp almond sliced almonds, seasoned with garlic, pepper, etc...lots of options, but the popcorn is my #1 choice
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with calorie free butter spray and popcorn salt! A lot of salty, crunchy, filling happy snacktime, with very few calories! I'm a nighttime snacker too....satisfies my cravings really well!

I love air popped popcorn. Where do you get butter spray? I have never heard of it. Is in by the popcorn in the grocery store?
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    Plain raw vegies like carrots are great evening snacks - few calories, crunchie and you have to chew them (as opposed to inhaling a stack of Pringles in one bite). I think crackers, even low cal types, are killers, because if you don't have enough will power not to snack in the evening, you probably don't have enough will power to stop at a "serving" of crackers. I also like Blue Bunny lite fudgesicles. You can eat 2 for 70 calories. I try not to eat anything after 8 p.m. When I'm tempted to munch after that, I try a cup of hot tea with a little light vanilla soy milk added. You might try changing up your evening routine a bit, too. The "munchies" are more habit than hunger. Instead of just sitting idle in front of the TV, find something to do with your hands (i.e., hand sewing, needlework, playing cards, working a crossword puzzle). Best of luck!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a MFP group you may be interested in:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230615-may-2011-no-late-night-snacking
  • bdstrang
    bdstrang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wow, thank you all for you hints, some excellent ones that i will try for sure. i love popcorn, and that seems to be a favorite. will have to acquire a taste for zero butter popcorn. wish me luck!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I try and make sure I have calories leftover at the end of the day because I like to snack in the evenings. Try and plan your meals a little better to give yourself wiggle room at night.

I usually eat veggie straws (you get 38 of those for 130 calories) or Special K cracker chips (27 for 110 calories), baby carrots and light ranch, etc

This.
    Also, you don't necessarily need to eat "snack" food. You can have a proper meal.