Breastfeeding :)

Options
Hi mums, I'm keen to lose some wright but not sure how to calculate BF calories. My baby is 8 months and I'm feeding him around 4 times a day. Any ideas how to calculate it:) many thanks.

Replies

• Cjmi427
    Cjmi427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We usually say exclusively breastfeeding a newborn (8-12 times a day, no supplementing) burns 500 calories or more. In your situation, you could be using around 250, but if you are trying to lose weight, I would underestimate down to only like 100 a day. If you are losing more quickly, you can always increase your estimate.
    And don't worry about not eating enough calories to nourish your baby. Only the most undernourished mothers have milk supply issues from not getting enough calories. Now, milk supply can be affected by many other things, but a reduced calorie diet alone isn't one of them. HTH.
  • ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am currently breastfeeding my 9month old and stopped counting my breastfeeding calories because I wasn't losing much weight. When she was 8 months old, I logged about 250. She just isn't as interested in eating as much because she loves table food.

I would do 250 and if you aren't losing, then bump it down to 150.
  • Stacyandsilas
    Stacyandsilas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am breastfeeding. I don't log the breastfeeding as extra calories. I eat around 1800 a day and have been consistently losing about half pound a week now. Any less calories and I notice my milk supply decreases a bit. Just fiddle around with your numbers until you find a sweet spot!
  • ntsm7
    ntsm7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Many thanks :) I will start with 200 calories the I will keep an eye. I'm keen to lose around 8 kg fast as I have an occasion to attend in 3 months. I hope I can lose as much as I can. Many thanks again.