Does this happen to you?

Options
For cardio workouts, I like to run until I'm exhausted, but sometimes I get these debilitating side cramps that prevent me from moving at all. Today I ran for just ten minutes and boom, I was done. It's not even worth entering on MFP! I get the cramps under my ribcage, typically on my right side. Sometimes the pain is so bad, I can't even walk without it killing me.

Does this happen to you? What can I do to prevent these cramps? Is there something I can do when I get them so I can continue my workout?

Replies

• mlconway
    mlconway Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes!!! I used to always get that pain under my ribcage...usually once I got it, I would have it all day long. I'm not sure what changed, but I haven't had that pain in probably 8 months now. Of course, I have been eating a LOT healthier and really trying to drink a lot of water. I think stretching helps, too. When I had the pain, I would clasp my hands together on top of my head and walk around and it seemed to help relieve some of the pain.
  • monica22886
    monica22886 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A sidestitch???

I'm a cross country coach and I always tell my girls the trick to losing them is exhaling a big breath on the opposite foot's downstep of the sidestitch.

Hope that helps!
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    That's happened to me while on the elliptical before, I just slow down and drink water while still going and it goes away. But it comes out of no where!!!
  • monica22886
    monica22886 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water helps too! Your body is trying to tell you something!
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    A sidestitch???

I'm a cross country coach and I always tell my girls the trick to losing them is exhaling a big breath on the opposite foot's downstep of the sidestitch.

Hope that helps!

This! My high school basketball coach told me this very same thing, it's all in how you are breathing that causes the sidestitch. Be aware of how you are breathing.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I read about side stitches not that long ago. Apparently taking deep belly breaths is the go? Havent had one for awhile so I havent had the chance to try this out.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You usually get side stitches when you aren't breathing properly. Make sure you take lots of regular breaths while you're running.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I agree, its all about getting your body enough oxygen while you are exerting yourself.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I agree, its all about getting your body enough oxygen while you are exerting yourself.
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    i was taught that is breathing related. we tend to inhale and exhale in rhythm with our steps, which cramps some muscle or another. take a deep breath every now and then, vary your breathing pattern.
  • getupandmoveit
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Very helpful. I will definitely do this.

It's so frustrating when you finally get out to run and then your body won't let you. :(

I'll work on my breathing.
  • ccchick
    ccchick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to get these when I first started to run. Mine went away when I corrected my form. I found that as I ran, my arms swung across my body turning my torso. After I corrected this (shoulders staying in line with the hips) the pains went away. hope that helps!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It helps to do tricep stretches over your head, and bends. The movement stretches your whole ab area, and can help reduce the likelihood of a sidestitch. It's helped me at least.
  • getupandmoveit
    Options
    Will do! Thanks! :)