How do you guys....

Options
Hi. I'm having issues with" snacking". How do you guys deal with the want to snack when you shouldn't? Like what to you do to curb that want. I'd love to hear it all

Replies

• sweet11
    sweet11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm still fairly new to trying to curb my appetite, but I do a couple of things. I will drink water until I don't have that craving anymore. Another is that I will try to redirect my mind to something else, like getting on pinterest or reading something hilarious. Or I will try to do some crunches or push ups until I am not craving that little snack anymore. I hope those might help!
  • cazvenger
    cazvenger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving junk food, I try snacking on something better like carrots or apple slices and drinking a lot of water with it. That way I'm avoiding the chocolate and getting in another serving of fruit/veg.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I plan all my meals and snacks ahead of time, so I know that today I will get a reasonable snack in between lunch and dinner. I look forward to it. In the meantime, I ate a reasonable breakfast that will keep me full until lunch. And I'll drink coffee so I can taste something in the meantime.

I'm also kind of strict about what time I eat. I only have access to the food I bring in to work (there isn't anywhere to buy food, without actually leaving), so I have to make sure I don't run out! I drink coffee at 10am, eat lunch at 12, drink more coffee at 2pm, and my snack is at 3pm. Then I go home and have dinner, and I already know what snack/dessert I'll eat afterwards.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Another way to curb the cravings: go ahead and log it before eating it. Sometimes just seeing the big numbers (and pushing my day into Red), will stop me (you can then delete it if you don't eat it). Or maybe seeing that the snack number really ISN'T that big will make you confident that you can indeed have a small snack and not ruin your day. It's easier to make a decision when you can see the numbers.
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you want a snack because you are actually hungry or if it is because you are bored? If you are actually hungry then try having some veggies or whatever you can fit into your calorie allotment along with some water. If you're bored, go do something. Get out of the house if you can or do some house chores if you can't.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm having issues with" snacking". How do you guys deal with the want to snack when you shouldn't? Like what to you do to curb that want. I'd love to hear it all

I prelog everything I am going to eat the day before. Sounds annoying, but it helps. I then hold myself accountable for everything in the food diary for the day. I tend to eat three meals a day with one snack in between. I don't deny myself any particular type of food. If I want chips, I make sure to measure out a portion and log it.
  • smercado194
    smercado194 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I get the urge to snack, I usually do. I think it's more a matter of what you snack on. Try celery, carrots, grapes, apple with peanut butter.

However, if I've passed my calorie count, I drink green tea or water.

Hope this helps!
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Log it before you eat it for sure, and make sure you are eating the serving that you think you are. Like, last night I wanted ice cream. I had it, but I measured it out first. Its like a compromise between your craving and your goals.
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ahhhh. Tough one. It's going to take some willpower depending on the kind of snacker you are. Personally, I was/am a bored snacker; when I'm relaxing I wouldn't mind having something to munch on.

My success so far I think in reducing the calories of my snacking are protein foods. I try to eat my snacks spaced out through the afternoon to tide me over until dinner too. My usually items are frozen or refrigerated Greek yogurt with granola/choc. Chips/nuts, beef jerky, a salad, fruits (I love berries) and kale chips. Eating these have really curbed my diet, I've gotten to the point to where I don't really feel the necessity of needing to snack more which is nice. :)

Oh, and one more thing. Before I eat anything, I try to log everything I want to eat before I eat it. Seeing the numbers I have or don't have left that day really help me decide what I do or don't want to eat. Sometimes it means for me putting a snack back until I find something that I think is acceptable nutrition-wise. This has really helped me not only eat less, but snack much healthier too! :)

Good luck, I hope this helped!