Eating Out Healthy - Ontario, Canada

Sometimes I need to just grab something on the go, but I have such a hard time finding healthy options on the fly. What are your suggestions?? I live in Ontario, Canada so we don't have all of the same options that other provinces or the US has.

Replies

• KateQuattro
    KateQuattro Posts: 20 Member
    Hi! I'm from Toronto so I can help :). Not knowing any potential diet restrictions you may have, here are some items.

Breakfast - Tims Berry oatmeal without the brown sugar. Tims Breakfast sandwich on an English muffin with egg white and turkey sausage (lots of salt and carbs but better than the alternatives).

Lunch - You can run into a grocery store and grab a premade salad. Whole foods, Longos, Fortinos, Vinces Market (the gourmet and the Italian stores lol) often have great offerings. Whole foods has a make your own stir fry and you can opt for brown rice and rice noodles and load up on the veggies and protein which choosing your own sauce and quantities. I love to really load up and find it can last me a few lunches or lunch and dinner that day. If you more of a hot table kind of girl, all of these grocery stores prepare their own food in store. So they should be able to provide the ingredients to you! Fortinos - Turkey meatballs + grilled sweet peppers + scoop of tomato sauce and rappini = fantastico!

Dinner - This is tougher. As always the same items from lunch apply, I think Tims has a chicken wrap you can have grilled chicken in instead of breaded? or maybe that's McDonalds. Starbucks has a feta and egg wrap, not sure if its available for dinner. It has a bit much salt but the protein is high and calories are low.

If i'm going to be on the road i try to bring chopped veggies, fresh fruit, maybe some skinny pop... a few snacky things that help me avoid making poor choices.

Food for thought -

• emilykate4
    emilykate4 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks so much ^. I am having the hardest time with dinner, I think the answer is going to be bring some healthy snacks and then have something else once I get home if I have plans after work.

I don't have any dietary restrictions but I am kind of a picky eater unfortunately!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Get the HealthyOut app! It works here in Ontario, I swear! It's great for searching for places to eat out on the fly and even lets you customize if you're persnickety about your eating habits!
  • KateQuattro
    KateQuattro Posts: 20 Member
    I didn't know of this app. say whatttttt!! lol
  • emilykate4
    emilykate4 Posts: 7 Member
    Get the HealthyOut app! It works here in Ontario, I swear! It's great for searching for places to eat out on the fly and even lets you customize if you're persnickety about your eating habits!
    I am going to download this right now! Thank you so much!!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Woot! I'm downloading it too!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Does that app work in Vancouver too?