200 pounds to lose WITHOUT surgery...have you done it or are you close?

Options
2»

Replies

• LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I need to lose approximately 268 pounds and since December of 2014 have lost at least 51 pounds. The reason why I say at least is because I am only weighing once a month when I see my Diabetic Educator. Until I can get a scale for home that's the only option I have. I take it 10 lbs. at a time so I don't get overwhelmed
  • cyhertz
    cyhertz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 - needed to lose 100 and am changing up my exercise. I know it is hard at first but movement is key to success. Start out by walking and go from there. I did it mostly by biking and other low intensity activity.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't need to lose that much, but in my case the strugle is a lot like that....I would advise to go see a doctor.... I had a lot of problems losing weight, I went to the doctor and I had several conditions that needed to be controled, insuline problems, hypothyroidism, cushing syndrom, pcos, you name it. I had it all. My journey, therefore, has been slow, but I'm finally achieving it.... we can do this!
  • techguymike7801
    techguymike7801 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm down 115 pounds in just over 9 months. I don't think loosing 200 pounds is realistic for me. I started at 360 and am 6'3".
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Started with 300lbs to lose. Lost 120+ so far by eating less and moving more. Learned lots on this site and confident I will get to goal and maintain it. You can do this!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I lost 150+ here & am maintaining. It IS possible.

Weigh/measure/log (I pre plan/pre log my meals so I know where I stand and adjust thru the day)...throw in some walking or other exercise you enjoy or can tolerate doing.

Remember you didn't put the weight on over nite, it's not going to disappear over nite.

One day, One pound, One step at a time. You CAN do it.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    There's a user here called @CyberEd312 who lost 300+ pounds. :) You can find his story in the success stories. Another called Tannon or a similar name has lost 200+ pounds. Both were done with no surgery. I know several others who lost 100+ without surgery as well. It can be done!
  • amycfatnomore
    amycfatnomore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been reading lots under the success stories & on a motivation scale of 1-10, I'd call myself a 12! :smiley: I've been taking super tiny baby steps (giving up soda, cut back on sweetened drinks, parking further away, etc) until about 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I pretty much eliminated all sweetened drinks (except my iced coffee a couple times a week - a treat I've decided I'm going to allow myself to continue because it doesn't trigger any intense cravings & it feels like such a treat) and added lots more "healthy" foods. Already losing pounds & noticing a little less chub on my sides I think. I can't wait to change from an embarrassment (even though they'd never admit it) to my family to an INSPIRATION to my family. :love:
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been reading lots under the success stories & on a motivation scale of 1-10, I'd call myself a 12! :smiley: I've been taking super tiny baby steps (giving up soda, cut back on sweetened drinks, parking further away, etc) until about 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I pretty much eliminated all sweetened drinks (except my iced coffee a couple times a week - a treat I've decided I'm going to allow myself to continue because it doesn't trigger any intense cravings & it feels like such a treat) and added lots more "healthy" foods. Already losing pounds & noticing a little less chub on my sides I think. I can't wait to change from an embarrassment (even though they'd never admit it) to my family to an INSPIRATION to my family. :love:

You can do it! :) Definitely take baby steps, so you don't burn yourself out. And if you feel like you really want a soda or something, don't keep denying yourself until you go on a crazy binge--log the soda, make room for it in your calories, and enjoy it. All the best to you! :)
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've lost 133lbs so far and still going downwards. I was offered a gastric band recently to speed up the last few stones prior to surgery but my response was no thanks - I got myself into this mess, I'll get myself out of it.

The secret is not to set too big a goal, and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, what's done is done so put it down to a learning experience and start afresh the next day, its worked for me.

My kids say I'm their inspiration now, whereas I know they used to be embarrassed to walk down the street with me when I weighed 375lbs :(

Good luck!
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat; 200lb weight loss goal. I actually started the surgery process but decided that I had never really tried to lose weight on my own. I wanted surgery to be an absolute last resort.

I started by cutting out pop and certain fast foods cold turkey. It was difficult but it has been over a year now without them.

I only got serious about my weight loss in Feb. 2015 and am down 60lbs so far (80lbs overall.)

It really keeps me motivated to think of how miserable I was and the amount of time I wasted essentially killing myself with food. I don't ever want to go back there, so I just take it one day at a time. I'll get there eventually. I try to live by this:

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

Earl Nightingale
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am very anti-surgery. Here's my funny story, though . . .

Early on I decided to get hydrostatically weighed. This is the most accurate way to measure your body fat percentage, and I really had no idea how much I should have lost because I have an odd body type. (Turns out I didn't need to loose NEARLY as much as BMI would have said) I didn't have 200 pounds to lose, but I did have well over 100. I found a clinic that would do the weighing for $60. Before making the appointment, though, I called my health insurance (Kaiser) to see if they would cover this. (I didn't think they would, but I had to ask)

Their response is that they will not cover hydrostatic weighing (like I figured), but I was surprised that in the response they said they DO cover the surgery, and they asked me to make an appointment with the gastro department to have a consultation and begin the surgery "process". No way!!! I just thought it was funny that they will not cover a $60 weighing to support healthy weight loss, but they will cover a multi-thousand dollar surgery to support very, very risky weight loss.
  • penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

Early on I decided to get hydrostatically weighed. This is the most accurate way to measure your body fat percentage, and I really had no idea how much I should have lost because I have an odd body type. (Turns out I didn't need to loose NEARLY as much as BMI would have said) I didn't have 200 pounds to lose, but I did have well over 100. I found a clinic that would do the weighing for $60. Before making the appointment, though, I called my health insurance (Kaiser) to see if they would cover this. (I didn't think they would, but I had to ask)

Their response is that they will not cover hydrostatic weighing (like I figured), but I was surprised that in the response they said they DO cover the surgery, and they asked me to make an appointment with the gastro department to have a consultation and begin the surgery "process". No way!!! I just thought it was funny that they will not cover a $60 weighing to support healthy weight loss, but they will cover a multi-thousand dollar surgery to support very, very risky weight loss.

i think that the majority of medical people see WLS as a permanent solution to obesity so they'll see this surgery as an economical way to reduce expenditure on you long term. I don't think people will see it in quite the same way in 20 odd years when the long term statistics become known, but this is purely my opinion.

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

i think that the majority of medical people see WLS as a permanent solution to obesity so they'll see this surgery as an economical way to reduce expenditure on you long term. I don't think people will see it in quite the same way in 20 odd years when the long term statistics become known, but this is purely my opinion.

I've already seen some of the short- and medium- term statistics, and it's scary as heck!
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As many have said, yes - it can be done. I've got 100 to lose, and am down 43 since early March. If you're here and posting, you're already on your way! You got this!!!
  • vwagar
    vwagar Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    1hoq34l6jsal.jpg
    I've lost 155lbs in 15 months with MFP diet and exercise! I still have 30 more to loose
  • amycfatnomore
    amycfatnomore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @vwagar You look fabulous!!!
  • vwagar
    vwagar Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel so good and so proud! I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD...TRUST ME YOY CAN TOO... Love yourself! Move 3o mins a day (at first I could only do 10 mins of my exercise bike or a short walk) now I track my steps and I'm walking on avg 9000 steps a day... It's a gradual process and you will find your way...it's a lot of brain power... Log ur food even if it's not good for you! You will learn that you can eat a lot more when it's not processed junk ( I like to eat so I think of it this way) you have to really want this and your golden! Add 5 fruits/veggies a day to ur diet..lean protein and eat frequently throughout the day to keep ur hunger at bay and sugar levels normal(smaller meals) I eat all meals healthy and then I have frozen yogurt at night with light whipping cream or exta churned ice cream or anything I want within my calorie range! I plan it into my day! It's the 80/20 rule.. Google it... Good luck with ur journey! Start now!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!