Eat whatever you want and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lebarnes07
    lebarnes07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    JAMsMom13 wrote: »
    So, I find that the only time I don't lose weight is when I don't eat what I want. I am a firm believer in eating what ever the heck I want just in moderation! I'm down almost 20lbs so I must be doing something right! I am looking for friends who share this belief because it seems like everyone is on this no sugar, no salt, no fun lifestyle. I can't live like that... I won't. So, if you are in the same boat and have been successful or even if you are just starting out, please add me!
    cgamblemfp wrote: »
    I have the same mind set. I struggle enough anyway and cutting out certain foods would be a nightmare for me! I think if it fits in my calories it's fine :-) Although there still needs to be some amount of moderation and variety.

Feel free to add me; my diary is open for friends to look at.

• lebarnes07
    lebarnes07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way too. I love food. All kinds of food. I don't want to be tied down to some boring unhealthy diet or spend money buying diets foods and drinks.
  • cazvenger
    cazvenger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working my way through a pile of tootsie rolls that someone brought to the office, and it's a wonderful thing. I've planned my whole day around having the calories for it, and it's so worth it. :)
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with this too :) and I'm not a fan of low cal diets I would never go lower than 1500. i'm probably not the best person to add right now because I've had a virus for the past month and it's making me pathetic and whiny, but just give me an add if you like :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dr. Layne Norton, PhD of Nutritional Science, advocates strongly for IIFYM. He says studies show overhwelmingly that fad diets, cutting or restricting foods, will lead to regaining weight, usually plus some. And aggressive calorie restriction leads to muscle loss. And per these studies, the overwhelming consensus is that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to do it slowly and sustainably by eating the same things you will be eating after the weight is gone and controlling portions.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in eating what ever the heck I want just in moderation!

For me, "eating whatever the heck I want" and "moderation" are at direct odds with one another. Because what I want to eat never fits within my allotted calorie limits. Thus it always boils down to what I get to eat, now what I want to eat.

Eating whatever the heck I want is how I got fat to begin with.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks in and eat what I want (within the deficit, of course-lol) ~ feel free to add me also!
  • jusme1977
    jusme1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do! Anyone please free to add me. I'm in the mindset that you can have whatever you want, just in moderation. I have noticed I started craving some of the healthy stuff too. I'm definitely not going to eat something I don't like just because it's "healthy".
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    In the context of an overall balanced diet, yes, I eat whatever I want.

For example, I had McDonald's for lunch today. But I also have fruits and cheeses and homemade burgers planned for the rest of the day. It's all about balance. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    82 pounds lost eating what I want - while maintaining a good macro-nutrient balance. Most days.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

For me, "eating whatever the heck I want" and "moderation" are at direct odds with one another. Because what I want to eat never fits within my allotted calorie limits. Thus it always boils down to what I get to eat, now what I want to eat.

Eating whatever you want, or how much you want? There's a big difference between the two. I've lost a lot of weight eating whatever I want - just not as much as I used to when I was obese.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever you want, or how much you want? There's a big difference between the two.

Not to me. What I want to eat is a Cracker Barrel Country Boy breakfast, Five Guys little bacon cheeseburger and fries for lunch, and a rack of baby back ribs and then ice cream for dessert.

Not gonna happen on a 1570 daily calorie allotment.

You see, for me, what I want to eat is to eat to satiety. This is at direct odds with a calorie deficit.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 years old. I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I eat what I want, sure, but small portions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Eating whatever you want, or how much you want? There's a big difference between the two. I've lost a lot of weight eating whatever I want - just not as much as I used to when I was obese.

Some foods are very difficult to fit in - so calorie dense that just a little bit is more than enough calories, and at the same time taste in a way that any amount is never enough.

Food should make you happy and satisfied, not leave you more hungry.

My solution has been to find out which foods I like that I can eat to satiety, focus on them, and have small amounts of the hyperpalatable stuff very, very rarely.
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kdpmjscj4 wrote: »
    I stil eat what I want, just with more water/veggies/fruit. I'm only in my first month but I'm down 10lbs.

That's essentially all I did with my diet. I haven't had any chocolate recently, but I've noticed that in the 3 weeks of changing my habits.. I haven't actually WANTED it, either! I'm down 11lbs, right now, weigh in on Fridays!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yep - I lost 60+ in 2011 - eating whatever I wanted - nothing was off my menu (besides sad diet food like fat-free cheese and and fat-free salad dressing). I've continued to maintain my goal weight for 3.5 years... continuing to eat whatever I feel like eating. As long as I stay active and stay within my calorie goal, managing my weight is pretty effortless.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long I have the calories and my macro. Feel free to add me peeps.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Eating whatever you want, or how much you want? There's a big difference between the two.

Not to me. What I want to eat is a Cracker Barrel Country Boy breakfast, Five Guys little bacon cheeseburger and fries for lunch, and a rack of baby back ribs and then ice cream for dessert.

Not gonna happen on a 1570 daily calorie allotment.

You see, for me, what I want to eat is to eat to satiety. This is at direct odds with a calorie deficit.

Then you're talking about something entirely different.

The OP is talking about eating she wants - not eating what she wants ALL the time. That's part of this weight loss thing - sacrifices. I want to eat McDonalds Egg McMuffin for breakfast, with a latte, Panera for lunch and pizza for dinner. So I do - just not all on the same day.

You can certainly eat to satiety - every meal, and stay within your goals (which seem a little low, IMO). But you have to put some work and thought into - and that's on you.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Some foods are very difficult to fit in - so calorie dense that just a little bit is more than enough calories, and at the same time taste in a way that any amount is never enough.

Food should make you happy and satisfied, not leave you more hungry.

My solution has been to find out which foods I like that I can eat to satiety, focus on them, and have small amounts of the hyperpalatable stuff very, very rarely.

That sounds sensible, and a lot of people feel the same way. I've found that weighing out strict servings or even half servings of foods I love works for me. A half serving of lemon ricotta ravioli mixed with some veggies and a half tablespoon of butter ends up feeling very decadent and satisfying. Add some chicken and it's a very healthy meal. A slice of pizza cut into very narrow wedges and presented beautifully over a salad pleases the eye as much as the palate. Craving a greasy cheeseburger? Make sliders and oven fries. Making your food beautiful contributes to satiety. So does eating on smaller dishes.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I basically eat what I want too. In a perfect world I would only eat fast food once, maybe twice a week. But I'm single and I live off of a busy road so I end up eating out a lot. I just try to eat more veggies with my other meals.

I do try to watch my sodium intake though. The scale will not move if I eat a bunch of high sodium stuff all the time.