What was your main downfall when it came to packing on the pounds?

Options
Clo747
Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
WINE! Oh dear, I really lent on the bottle in hard times. I thought I was making myself feel better, but it really did me no favours. And it also made believe I could eat whatever I want and stay the same weight. Wine, it turns out, is bad at math. :s

Replies

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Definitely eating at night. Like another meal or two after going to sleep, not just the timing of eating my regular meals.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ditto everything OP said except it was beer.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Laziness. It's so much easier to sleep in rather than get up to exercise. It's so much easier for my wife to stop somewhere and pick up dinner via carry out or drive through than it is to cook.

Lazy, pure and simple. Fortunately, those days are behind us!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Probably milk and corn chips.

I could easily go through about 1200 calories of milk while eating a bag of chips with homemade salsa and really not even feel full.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Food! Sweet things, salty things, and crunchy things. I am amazed sometimes now when I realize I don't have as much of an appetite as I used to.

70044776.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Being way too sedentary and lack of moderation when it came to serving sizes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eating.

and eating and eating and eating and eating and not moving and eating more.
  • luisgerry16
    luisgerry16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Laziness and a love for everything sweet. It's easier to lay on your couch and eat a whole bag of oreos while watching your favorite show than to cook a healthy meal and go to the gym for an hour and a half.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Too many calories. Mostly in the form of Dr. Pepper.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    A complete disregard and ignorance of the calories I was consuming compared to what I actually needed.

In other words, I ate too many calories.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Coke, Dr. Pepper, and gooey cheesy foods. General laziness, as well.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eating lots and lots of bread, chips (and I mean the entire bag), eating lots of sugary things. And laziness as well.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sweets were (and still can be) my biggest downfall. I was never one to limit portions. Instead of one Krispy Kreme donut, I might eat 3 or 4 in one afternoon. Instead of 1 or 2 servings of Froot Loops, I might eat half the box or more while watching a movie. I used to drink soda like others drink water. 2 or 3 large pieces of pizza. Large ice cream servings. 10 Oreos or more at a time....

Much of it was mindless grazing. I still fight that habit. Even though I had a ginormous breakfast today (over 500 calories, was trying to see if I had a lot of my daily fat/protein in the a.m. if it would help me overcome the afternoon munchies that always get me. Nope.) I still want to munch.

It's a hard habit to break....I haven't broken it yet though I'm trying to make more nutrient dense / satiating choices....
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    A cross between not believing in myself and wanting to believe hype over what I knew was scientifically sound.

Very embarrassed to admit that :/
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I substituted any and all food for filthy rotten cigarettes.
    Plus an attitude of "It's better to be 20-30lbs overweight than be a smoker"
    Plus holding the couch down as if it would escape while I binged on Orange Is The New Black and Doritos. And cookies. And pizza. And milkshakes. And McD's.
    Friday's became known as "Poutine Day" and Saturdays were fish and chip day. In one sitting I could easily consume 4000cal. (After already consuming around 3000-4000cal through the day)

My entire life has been a series of overindulgence of things that I believe make me feel good.
    One substance at a time.....I'm learning to live without some (alcohol, cocaine, codeine, nicotine, marihuana, assortment of other pills) and learning to moderate others (shopping, food,)

Why oh why doesn't my brain get off on exercise?!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    alcohol
  • FullofTrixie
    FullofTrixie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wine and cheese and crackers and bread. That is my favorite meal but a loaf of bread in one sitting with s bottle of wine and a pound of cheese is not good for the waistline
  • soozquu
    soozquu Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Pizza and ice cream and inactivity.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Why oh why doesn't my brain get off on exercise?!

it took a long time, but mine does now! LOL! (Things I never thought I'd say....)