Using MFP while pregnant

Options
rayyesnk
rayyesnk Posts: 24 Member
I've been off MFP for a while because I haven't been trying to lose weight, but been trying to conceive. I'm now 10 weeks pregnant but I don't feel good about how I've been eating. I've been confused with all the "info" out there about what you're supposed to be eating while preg. my acupuncturist tells me I NEED to eat meat at least once/week and eat an egg every day (I was a vegetarian before who ate seafood occasionally). I know I need particular nutrients for the baby (protein, calcium, B12 etc) but I ate really 'clean' before (gluten/ dairy free and mostly veg.) Eating meat is hard for me but I'm trying. I guess what I'm saying is that I have just been eating what I feel like and think I 'should' eat, and I haven't been feeling very good. I'm not eating healthy the way I'm used to eating healthy. I'm already gaining weight and it doesn't seem like, in a good way. My pants are all tight on me. And since I've been so tired, I haven't been exercising much.

My question is: can I use MFP to help me plan meals and track my nutrients even though I'm pregnant? Has anyone done this? I want to be sure I'm eating right but not too much. Also, what would I put in as my 'goals'? Would I indicate that I'm trying to gain weight??

I did a quick web search for meal planning sites for pregnant women but didn't find too much, especially when it comes to special diets.

thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• JenileeFinley
    JenileeFinley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr or midwife! As someone who has been through two pregnancies, I can tell you it is so normal to be feeling bloated and yucky and incredibly tired at 10 weeks. Listen to your body, take a really good prenatal. My midwife said the fetus will get everything it needs but it will be at your expense so if there isn't enough calcium In your diet or vitamins it will impact you but the fetus will get what it needs. Not entirely sure how this works so that's why I recommend talking to your midwife. But don't be hard on yourself for not exercising right now. You will feel so much better and energized when second tri comes along and want to eat more nutritiously too. Best of luck!
  • mrsnightengale
    mrsnightengale Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks and using the app still to keep track of what I'm eating and making sure I get enough/not too much of stuff. Also to track my weight.

The gain and how your feeling is pretty normal though. I've put on a good deal of water weight lately, my clothes are tight thanks to it, and I've felt like I have the flu. Isn't pregnancy fun? Lol
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    rayyesnk wrote: »
    My pants are all tight on me. And since I've been so tired, I haven't been exercising much.
    First of all, congratulations!

Second of all, this is normal. Your uterus is expanding and your body is changing. I don't know if this is your first pregnancy but essentially, you typically feel pretty crappy until week 16-18 (if you're lucky). Your body is just changing. As for eating, I suggest you talk to your doctor or midwife about nutrition. You need to gain weight and yes it's smart to do it in a smart way. Don't try to lose weight right now. This is not the time for that so if you're thinking you need to, eliminate the thought.

Good luck!

• rayyesnk
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try and use mfp to track my eating and nutrients (not to lose weight). I just don't want to be eating mindlessly. I'll also talk to my doctor on Friday. Thanks!
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    rayyesnk wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try and use mfp to track my eating and nutrients (not to lose weight). I just don't want to be eating mindlessly. I'll also talk to my doctor on Friday. Thanks!

I didn't use MFP for my first pregnancy but for my next I think I will change the settings to track a weight gain of 0.5 lbs per week. That's what most doctor's recommend. I saw that somewhere on here and I thought it was good advice.

• margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    maybe do a post asking people who are in the same boat as you to friend you? (starting with the people in this thread) ...or people who have been through this? That could be a great support forum.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I used this site during my last pregnancy it helped keep me accountable. If you have a special diet then ask your dr. to refer you to a nutritionist they did this for me and it helped a lot she was able to give me meal ideas and you can get protein from other places besides meat and the baby will be just fine. A nutritionist can help you with this and to give you alternatives for items you do not want to eat so the baby will get the nutrients. It is common for woman who are pregnant to develop low iron levels so try to eat foods rich in iron I had to take supplements during my last because of this.
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i would talk to your doctor and see how you should adjust your calories for the day but after modifying your goals i think it should be fine :)
  • asaralee3
    asaralee3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this, lol...here ya go:

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I am using MFP to track my food. I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes just this week. I have since set my Goals to Maintain weight, so I would be getting the right amount of calories for me and the baby. I met with a dietician yesterday. My goal on Calories is 2200. I am also using the food tracking to watch my carb intake. I am currently doing macronutrients of 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. This allows me 120 carbs a day (not counting the minimal carbs from veggies). It works out to 30 Carbs at breakfast, 60 Carbs and Lunch and Dinner and 30 Carbs each for 3 snacks throughout the day. This will help keep me and the baby at optimal nutrition :)
  • halsandmr
    halsandmr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 weeks pregnant and just got to the point where I'm not sleeping all day so I haven't worked out for almost 2 months. I asked my doctor about calories because my BMI was 25.1, just barely overweight when I got pregnant and I don't want to gain 70 lbs like I did with my first. I was told you don't need any extra calories in the first trimester, but you need about 300 extra per day in the second and third. I'm tracking on here, too, and set it to maintain weight. As long as I'm within a few hundred calories of what it recommends to maintain my weight then I'm going to be happy. Add me if you want to and we'll do this together. I just rejoined today.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely use it. Don't need to gain anything the first trimester. For the others, subtract out the estimated additional fluid volume to find out how much extra calories to eat per day!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Also, look carefully at 2nd versus 3rd trimester weight gain. Most women gain a TON of fat in the second trimester by eating lots extra when really you should be gaining about half of what you do in the 3rd. By the last few weeks, you'll be gaining a pound a week. It's NOT a steady gain.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am 11 weeks pregnant, so essentially right where you are at (is your due date new years too??) I am currently using MFP to track my calories, I have set my goal to maintain weight. Up until week 9 i suffered from horrible all day morning sickness and fatigue, although is till worked out because it was the only thing that made the horrible nausea and fatigue better (albeit only for a short while, but that reprieve was worth it). So the first 9 weeks i essentially ate whatever didn't complete disgust me which was very little. I think I subsisted on bread, pizza, potatoes and i put mustard and pickles on all of it because for some reason it made it appetizing. Well last week my nausea finally ended and my appetite kicked in (ten fold) it felt like i was consuming 4000 calories a day so I started logging just to monitor my intake. In actuality it was right on target for maintenance with my activity level, around 2000 calories per day. At 11 weeks I haven't gained any weight yet, I'm 5'6 and vary between 113-115 lbs. I think now that my appetite has kicked in I should start gaining the 0.5 lb per week. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, natural peanut butter, yogurt, lean meats and breads. The only meat I eat is chicken breast, otherwise I get protein from egg whites, nuts, greek yogurt and shrimp. I pretty much just listen to what my body wants and eat that. My eating habits have changed dramatically now, I eat much more earlier on in the day and less at night. I take folic acid, omega 3 and Vit D supplements. If you want to friend me we can go through this pregnancy journey together. All the best.
  • rayyesnk
    Options
    fernt 21, yes my due date is 12/31! I will friend you.
    thanks everyone. I just re-started using MFP. Turns out I'm anemic so I do need to try and eat meat - and I'm taking an iron supplement on days when I don't eat meat. My appetite is back and I'm feeling better, and getting bigger! (gained 9 pounds since my first dr. appt.) I'm 16 weeks now. I set MFP goals to gain 1 lb. per week. I'm trying to keep my calories around 1700 per day because I don't exercise very much. My dr. said to only eat about 300 extra calories per day than I would if I weren't pregnant. If I can start exercising more, I'll up the cal's.

• Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 18 weeks pregnant, third baby. I am using MFP to ensure I don't gain too much weight this pregnancy like I did before. my first trimester I had my calorie goal set to maintain my weight. I am now in my second trimester and changed it to .5 pounds a week but was still hungry at this setting and I would tend to go over just a tad anyways so I changed it to the recommended one pound a week for the second and third trimester. I used another website to calculate what calorie intake was best for my pre-pregnancy weight and height and workout schedule, both MFP and the other site recommended 2520 Calories a day and that is what I'm going to stick to for now. I have a doctors appointment today and plan on discussing it with her. I sent friend request, we can do this together. Interested in other pregnant MFP friends too. A lot of MFP members Who are not pregnant or have never had kids don't seem to understand The concerns of pregnant women And are quick to judge so having the support of other pregnant MFP members would be great.