Fitness/Workout Buddy. Helpful or?

Options
Ebznohere
Ebznohere Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone (1st post lol)
I started my fitness journey in January 2014 with my housemate at uni in a bid to lose weight. It was fun having a gym buddy/partner. We pushed and motivated each which was Good as we lost loads of weight. I left uni in May last year and fell off the fitness wagon

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you have someone you have to meet with everyday that can help make you feel obligated to go. That could be a good thing.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It really depends. If you are strong willed enough to go without them and not be emotionally attached to wether or not they go, then it is all good. Its nice to have someone to work out with from time to time, but most times though they just drag you down. It's like looking forward to going to the movies with a friend and they flake out at the last second, being bummed out can really negatively effect your workout.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    For me I don't find workout buddies helpful, its too distracting.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I dont like it--I want to work out at my pace not someone else's.
  • Ebznohere
    Options
    jmoneycgt wrote: »
    It really depends. If you are strong willed enough to go without them and not be emotionally attached to wether or not they go, then it is all good. Its nice to have someone to work out with from time to time, but most times though they just drag you down. It's like looking forward to going to the movies with a friend and they flake out at the last second, being bummed out can really negatively effect your workout.

Yeah I've heard a lot of people say when your gym partner is as motivated as you are to workout. It can really drag you down
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    I dont like it--I want to work out at my pace not someone else's.

Yep. I've found it difficult to go with a partner. In a group fitness class, I would be fine with it. But if I want to go for a walk, or do the elliptical, I don't want to do a slower pace if someone doesn't want to keep up, or a faster pace if I'm unable to do it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    It has it's pluses and minuses - I am usually the motivating factor as opposed to being motivated.

I try and be as supportive as I can but for me it is just easier for me to just do it without much thought and working out with someone else sometimes requires schedule adjustments, etc. Also, you may have to hear their opinions about everything solicited or not. My workout partner and I part ways at the door with a time to meet back up - this works well for us!

I think if you are seeking a workout buddy you have to really have a plan in mind with 1 or 2 backup plans.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout by myself...that way I am on my schedule...when I want...what I want.

My fitness is my thing and I am selfish about it...only person I will consider working out with is my husband and that's cause he's so cute and sexy
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What I found is that it's good to join someone that already has their own gym routine. That way, you know they're less likely to flake out on you because they were doing it before you came along. Plus, if you're at the gym, pace isn't too much of an issue- hop on treadmills next to each other and let them run three miles while you walk. But if you keep doing it, you'll likely want to push yourself when you see their strides. At least I do. I get competitive and jealous haha
  • Ebznohere
    Options
    Yeah this is helpful. I'll take this into account. I think I get into my competitive nature sometimes when running on the treadmill next to a stranger doing the same. Thinking "I won't stop"
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's why I do classes. I like the accountability for showing up and being there, but I'm not held to being there if work gets busy. I know if I miss more than one or two classes, I'll be getting text messages and FB messages wondering where I am!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to the gym with someone, she wanted to stay there for 2.5 hours! What am I made of, TIME!? 1:15 tops with changing for me please. And it wasn't even that good a workout because all she wanted to do was chat.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Social thing, so it depends who it is, but tbh im focused on me an I prefer to do what I want, so a buddy would slow me down as you have to wait/ share/ consider them. Not anti social, but its so much more efficient doing it on my own as well as meaning I have choice. My MP3 player is my buddy. For anyone who is at all nervous, then they cna be a great means of support, maybe doing classes is an alternative. If it works for you then go for it.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Ebznohere wrote: »
    Yeah this is helpful. I'll take this into account. I think I get into my competitive nature sometimes when running on the treadmill next to a stranger doing the same. Thinking "I won't stop"

Yeah, that's different. I love racing strangers.

I've never had a workout buddy beyond the first week. Even had a friend get mad because I worked out without her . . .like I hadn't texted her twice that day! People hold me back. And then there was the woman who was too eager and who wanted me to work out immediately after my workday ended (she had been off for a couple hours).

I'll happily go to a class with somebody--I would prefer it, in fact. But I don't want to have a buddy every workout.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise alone most of the time. Sometimes dd joins me and that is okay but no more motivating than exercising alone.
    The issue I see with a workout buddy is if you rely on them for motivation and they stop showing up... Maybe their schedule changes or they just don't have the sustained interest. So I would say occasionally it can be helpful and nice but don't rely on someone else.
  • beccaod
    beccaod Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are an Obliger (like me). You do great when you have someone to push you, but have a hard time holding yourself accountable. I found having someone who tracked my workouts was just as good as having an exercise partner going to the gym with me . I used something called stickk.com and actually put money on the line for tracking my exercises with my best friend who doesn't even live in town, but is serious about exercising.

If you really think that that is how you operate, do whatever you can to make yourself feel "obligated" to exercise. When I run out of motivation, I feel like my obligation to exercise keeps me going!

(Sorry for the links but both of these have been really helpful for me)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    i like having a diet buddy a lot, or diet buddies plural. people i can talk about nutrition with and go to restaurants knowing we will both order light and maybe walk and such. fitness though... i like having people to talk to but when it comes to doing, unless it i fitness disguised as fun like biking hiking walking adventure tennis etc, i prefer solo. i personally work harder on my own, and tend to listen to my own body more. especially when it comes to running and gym stuff. if i am following a friend around i am listening to their body and vice versa.

but then in all my life i tend to be more comfortable alone, or with casual online friends. so it could be that. also when i have counted on one diet buddy in the past i became a bit reliant on that and as soon as she stopped so did i. so strength in numbers works for me. a nice mfp friends list.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I used to run with a guy in the Guard that I met on here, knowing someone was waiting for me at the track made me get up and go. We were comfortable enough with eachother that we didn't feel we needed to be "polite" and run side by side the whole time. Sometimes we raced, sometimes we jogged side by side and talked, sometimes we went at our own pace and didn't talk the whole time, sometimes we randomly did burpees and pushups on the lawn. I enjoyed having another person at the track with me at 5am when it's still dark and someone that would text me at 505 if I wasn't there. If you're comfortable enough with your buddy then feeling obligated to go at their pace in their time-frame, etc doesn't really happen.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    For weights, I like having a partner/built in spotter/someone to be lifting while I rest between sets. For cardio, I like being the master of my own pace, and I like the quiet reflection time without the expectation that I will be social with the other person. So... It really depends on the activity. I schedule multiple types of activity with a variety of people which I increase or decrease in frequency as my body allows. :)

I have one friend who motivates me by always showing up and being super reliable. I have to hold my pace back a bit to accommodate her disability, but even held back, I'm getting more steps or laps in than I would be just sitting around if she didn't show up to walk or swim with me at lunch time. I am inspired by how consistently she pushes herself, despite her pain level and disadvantages. I have one friend who motivates me, because he lifts with me and can spot me, but wants me to plan our workouts, because he doesn't really understand how yet. I have to explain more exercises and work-out logic to him than my average lift partner, and that pushes me to increase my understanding of fitness. And after dealing with the two of them, I am motivated to spend time alone, pushing myself without holding back for anyone else.
  • Ebznohere
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Last time I went to the gym with someone, she wanted to stay there for 2.5 hours! What am I made of, TIME!? 1:15 tops with changing for me please. And it wasn't even that good a workout because all she wanted to do was chat.

Lool "What am I made of, TIME!?"