Eat what I want?

Options
Hello, lost a stone with slimming world but put it all back on and more so now I'm trying calorie counting. Slimming world is good but I love avocados for example but there higher syns on slimming world than most chocolate!
Can I eat what I like on here as long as it's in my calories? Sometimes I just want a sandwich for lunch not have to keep making salads if I'm short on time. I'm now trying to slowly reduce sugar from my diet and I don't really eat crisps. I've binged for weeks enough is enough I want to lose 4 stone and hopefully 2 or more by October, any advice or friends would be appreciated please so I can get an idea of what others are eating

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The short answer is yes. You don't have to eat salads all the time or ever for that matter unless you want to. It's about calories in vs calories out. All you are required to do to lose weight is eat at a deficit. For example, yesterday I had lasagna, garlic bread, and some chocolate creme pie for supper and still came out under my calories for the day. I also eat pizza, cheeseburgers, fries, etc. still. I've lost 90 pounds. I mean for overall health you'd do well fitting some fruits and veggies in there to help meet nutrient needs. But for straight weight loss, eat at a deficit. There was actually a study posted on here a while back where a professor ate nothing but Twinkies every day for a certain amount of time, and he still lost weight. Now, is that a good diet for overall health? Not really, lol. But it proves the point that you can eat whatever you want if it fits in your calories and still lose weight. One other poster on here did the same thing with Snickers bars, lol.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly75 pounds, and I eat whatever I want - including the occasional individual pound cake (as the only item I have for lunch, but that's a different matter!). I don't eat sandwiches very often; I eat wraps instead of sandwiches occasionally, and sandwiches rarely, but for me, the calories in bread often just aren't worth it.

In the end, it's about fewer calories in, and more calories out. Some days I juggle my available calories to allow for a small portion of pasta, or a piece of bread; other days I don't. As long as you can manage your portions, your calories, and to the extent you care, your macros, there don't necessarily have to be any forbidden foods.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as it fits into your calorie allotment, you can eat anything you like. As far as I know, there's no need to worry about sugar intake unless there are medical reasons. A couple of pieces of fruit will put you over your limit and fruit is good for you. I don't track sugar anymore because it was always in the red.
    You need to find a balance for eating nutritionally and otherwise that fits into your new lifestyle......something that will work for you for your entire life.
  • decotterell
    decotterell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds, 20 more than my original goal just counting my calories. I ate what I wanted and quit when I reached my limit. Of course, I love to eat, so I think I made better choices so I could consume more. I've been maintaining a weight of about 160 since February. Still just counting calories.
  • leaosullmfp
    leaosullmfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I eat healthily just a massive binger when I'm restricting myself. I want to reduce sugar I eat way to much so I'm tired and anxious all the time. If I can eat whatever it won't feel like a diet at least!
  • iopasdbnm
    iopasdbnm Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You can. I lost more than 50 lbs while eating some of my favorite local foods. I usually pick lunchtime to gorge on them. You won't feel too hungry for dinner too
  • leaosullmfp
    leaosullmfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh wicked. I'm going back to the gym tomorrow now really determined I don't have to restrict myself so much! Thanks for the advice