Long Car Ride

Options
allison_moushey
allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone,
I am leaving at 5am tomorrow morning and will be in a car for 18 hours. I bought a lot of just crap food because it's easy for the car, but do you guys have ideas of healthier snacks that are good in the car for that long?
I've got bananas and tangerines, and am making a turkey sandwich and will put it in our cooler.
Any ideas will be appreciated!
I'm loosening up food-wise for this long trip but don't want to feel like I've COMPLETELY let go of it.

Thanks!

Replies

• imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I recently did a 21hr trip and ate completely healthy the whole time. I focused on fresh foods such as apples, bananas, celery/dip. I also had some chips and snack bars. The hardest part is making sure you eat out of hunger and not boredom. I made sure to drink lots of water to help with that.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies work well. Things like snap peas, green beans, carrot sticks. Nuts are good (but pre-weigh them carefully). Apple slices, chickpeas (garbanzos) - just plain or roasted with spices, berries like strawberries or blueberries are also great. I find pre-weighing and packaging food is the most helpful, since at least that way you know how much you're consuming.

Also, take more water than you think you'll need.
  • adoud1
    adoud1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about the same thing when we travel 25 hrs upcoming in July. I'm planning on bringing lots of water, fresh whole fruits, celery sticks, carrots, Bumble Bee tuna or chicken salad snack packs, granola bars, almonds, trail mix, dry cereal, and anything else I can think of that will help keep me on track!! It's so hard to travel and eat healthy, you need to bring things for yourself to help through the humps when there is nothing good to eat. Plan ahead so you don't make bad decisions when you're starving! Good luck!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    In addition to healthy food, bring things that will help keep you from getting bored/eating out of boredom. Audiobook, phone or iPad (if you will have service), music, play "car games," etc.
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ah these are awesome thank you guys!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am leaving at 5am tomorrow morning and will be in a car for 18 hours. I bought a lot of just crap food because it's easy for the car, but do you guys have ideas of healthier snacks that are good in the car for that long?
    I've got bananas and tangerines, and am making a turkey sandwich and will put it in our cooler.
    I'm loosening up food-wise for this long trip but don't want to feel like I've COMPLETELY let go of it.

Thanks!

I drove from NY to Texas once. I bought sandwiches and water. Also bought the big bag of trail mix, one with candy and one without. Bananas are good but they gave me cramps for some reason. I tried those breakfast shakes and all it did was give me some unscheduled bathroom breaks. I did eat out a couple of times though, but nothing crazy. Went to Taco Bell and KFC, that's about it. For coffee, because I definitely needed that, I had those good thermals....that way I didn't have to keep stopping at McDonald's every three hours to get some hot coffee.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you have room, bring popped corn :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I recently did a 3.5 hour ride each way somewhere (I know, not as bad!)
    I packed a sandwich, a Nutrigrain bar, and a cheese stick for my lunch. You may be able to get away with string cheese for part of the journey, as long as the cooler stays cold. If it can go in the fridge, you can probably make it work in the cooler!
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Something we take along on the long drives to TKD tournaments is dry oatmeal with whatever additions we like ( cinnamon, nuts, fruit) in a thermos/travel mug. When we need to stop for gas we just fill it with hot water and have a hot fresh breakfast in just a couple mins. Other than that its mostly what others have suggested.
  • angiechristi
    angiechristi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To keep from snacking too much, I chew gum on long trips. I usually have a couple of different flavors so I don't get bored with it. For me, it had the added bonus of keeping me focused and awake!