I think my body hates me!!

Options
Ok so I joined mfp and been watching my calories and starting to slowly get in the groove of exercising and now my good knee is messed up.:mad:
Going to ortho on Thursday. MRI show torn meniscus, moderate sized bakers cyst among other things, My left knee has basically the same thing was suppose to have surgery in Feburary but put it off.:frown:
What are some exercises I can do???

Replies

• beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    eliptical, bicycle, bicycle situps(rotate your legs as if you were on a bicycle) anything that doesn't have any hard down force, like running/jogging/walking, on your knees... Mine are going as well. I hate it...I hope it works out for you. Otherwise, you're doing great! Keep up the good work with your counting! :)
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    Check with your doctor first, but swimming is a great exercise! As is yoga, I think, and you can still weight train. Get well soon! Make sure to let yourself heal properly!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ok so I joined mfp and been watching my calories and starting to slowly get in the groove of exercising and now my good knee is messed up.:mad:
    Going to ortho on Thursday. MRI show torn meniscus, moderate sized bakers cyst among other things, My left knee has basically the same thing was suppose to have surgery in Feburary but put it off.:frown:
    Water aerobics. If it's the menicus pushing it won't help, in fact it may make it worse. So all the walking and biking in the world may only serve to irritate it. I had a menicus repair back in 2004. It was pretty painless procedure and was done as same day surgery.
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? That's great low impact. Also, try the bike. Sorry to hear about your injuries. The good news is you are taking care of yourself. Funny thing BTW, I was just saying to another MFP friend that when I'm heavy my knees are the first thing to act up.
  • kaseydtv
    kaseydtv Posts: 4
    Options
    Good luck to you.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    lots of upper body exercises...weight training (especially your core and back)

look up online for exercises for people in wheelchairs...you know those will be safe because they do not use your legs!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems as well, which means no running, biking, etc. If you have access to a pool, you could try swimming or water-running or a whole bunch of other stuff. My ortho doctor recommended that for me....I just haven't done it yet because I'm too embarrassed to wear a bathing suit in public!

Other stuff you could try - arm weights (I use 5lb free weights), modified crunches and ab exercises that don't put pressure on your knee, and maybe you could try to go to physical therapy if your insurance covers it? They could probably give you some good exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around your knee. I go every week - they have me doing a bunch of exercises with those rubbery exercise bands, pelvic-thrusty type things, "clams" (where you lie on your side and bend your knees at 45 deg, keep your feet together, and just open your knees as far as you can without moving your hip), "fire hydrants" (lying on your side, knees bent at 90 deg, lifting top leg up like a doggie peeing on a fire hydrant), and side kicks (lie on your side, knees bent at 90deg, lift upper knee to touch ground nearish your chest, then kick back keeping your foot parallel to the floor). I usually do 3 sets of 10 of each on both sides. I don't know if my descriptions were superhelpful.....
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't hate you. In fact, you're doing the right thing for it. You probably were just getting into it, and your knee was having some trouble. A time of not exercising and then hitting it full force is a shock to the body. I wanted to run a marathon, and I went out everyday for days in a row to run. After two weeks, I was in the doctor's office with a severely twisted ankle that kept me from running for another 2 weeks.

I would recommend swimming for sure. I don't know how biking might go for you, but ask your doctor. I have some knee pain once in awhile, so I don't do running or other really high-impact things those days and the bike works for me.