Carbs Grams Don't Matter, True?

Options
Hi

I read here the majority of people saying just stick to your calories and don't worry about carb grams, is that true? I mean tomorrow I am going to be at around 60% carbs, I normally always ignore the macros and just tick to my calories, am I doing it right?

Danni

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Well, you want a reasonable allocation to protein and fat with carbs filling the rest but, no, they don't matter in the abstract as long as you don't have a related medical condition.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Purely from a weight loss perspective, that's true.

But from an overall health perspective, if you're going over significantly on carbs and sticking to your calorie goal, that also (and more importantly) means you're UNDER eating either protein or fat (or both).

One day here or there being off won't substantially impact you, but if you're consistently overeating carbs to the detriment of fats and/or protein (which are both very important), then yeah, I'd take a look at my food choices and re-evaluate a bit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch carbs, no. But you should make sure you're getting enough fat and protein in your diet as well.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yep, doesn't matter. Get your protein, your healthy amount of fats and let carbs fall at an amount that gives you the optimal amount of energy.

Some people have better energy on low carb. Most and me included, do well on a sizable amount of carbs (around 50-60% is the common norm)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is purely taking in less calories than you are burning.

However for over all nutrition its a little more than that. OP, pending a medical condition, you don't really have to worry about being high carb. What do your other macros look like? How do you feel when your carbs at around 60%?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    it might matter...it might not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss...health as long as you are hitting the mins of protein and fat all is good.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    it might matter...it might not.

This. For me, the weight loss comes much easier with less carbs and I just feel so much better. For others, it may not have an impact.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Not for weight loss...health as long as you are hitting the mins of protein and fat all is good.

This^
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find if I restrict carbs, eat a moderate amount of protein, and eat as much fat as I want, then I don't need to worry about calories at all. Read Gary Taubes book for more info
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I read here the majority of people saying just stick to your calories and don't worry about carb grams, is that true?

Many people have trouble sticking to their calories if too many calories are from carbs.

But it depends on person and context - you'll have to figure out what works best for you.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    TomfromNY wrote: »
    I find if I restrict carbs, eat a moderate amount of protein, and eat as much fat as I want, then I don't need to worry about calories at all. Read Gary Taubes book for more info

That was a great book!
  • Dannilee2013
    Dannilee2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sticking to my calories even with 60% carbs is not a problem for me. I have 3 meals a day and a treat at night. I have never really been one for snacking. I have increased my protein over the last few weeks and the weight loss has kicked in again after months of not moving.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I make sure I hit my protein minimum, watch my fat minimum and carbs fall wherever

Generally 50-60% of diet at around 250-350g