Ending my Addiction To refined Sugar

Options
Hello Everyone,

My name is Nellita, and I am 30 years old, I live in the state of Texas. I am here to log my foods and my workouts, because I have an addiction to refined sugar! Today is day 3 no refined sugar. i am allowed fruits tho :smiley:

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that added sugars are addicting and detrimental to our health in many ways. I try to limit my added sugars to about 3 or 4 teaspoons a day, but just yesterday one of my new MFP buddies challenged me to a no added sugar diet for 48 hours. I of course accepted, a good way to remind us of what we put in our bodies. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Another sugar-is-the devil thread, I am so in!!!

ppklkk.gif
  • Yvi84
    Yvi84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Nellita! I hear you!! I'm right there with you...Sugar is the hardest thing to give up. I am a certified junk food vegetarian :neutral: I'm here to track my food and exercise as well. Good luck to you!
  • Yvi84
    Yvi84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! My name is Yvonne, I'm from Arizona. Add me if you like!! I'm new to this too :smiley:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

ppklkk.gif

53215969_zps5221f7e3.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Sigh.
  • moledew
    moledew Posts: 71 Member
    Options

ppklkk.gif

YES! Im gonna sit back with my bland *kitten* popcorn and wait for the festivities!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Nellita, and I am 30 years old, I live in the state of Texas. I am here to log my foods and my workouts, because I have an addiction to refined sugar! Today is day 3 no refined sugar. i am allowed fruits tho :smiley:

Good for you! Anytime you feel out of control with food, it's a wise move to take back control. Best of luck to you.

I hope you won't be put off by the inevitable onslot of negative replies you'll get. Not everyone on the site is like that.
  • rosanneenriquez
    rosanneenriquez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Coca cola was my addiction..... Drink it all the time! Ever since I left the coke, it has made a huge difference with losing weight. I really read the labels for the sugar contents. Down from XL to a medium and 2 pant sizes! It can be done!!!
  • mommy2boysaz
    mommy2boysaz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You are also welcomed to check in at the low carb board. Lowering your sugar will automatically lower your carb intake quite a bit. Decreasing grains as well can really be beneficial! Good Luck!
  • rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You will feel so much better! In a week or two, you will have so much found energy - sugar really weighs you down - fun experiment to try - put a can of coke in a bucket of water - it sinks to the bottom - try it with a diet coke - it floats to the top (I am not advocating artificial sweetner, as I think it is bad as well) - but that's what it does to your body - water, water, and more water is my motto! Your are off to a great start!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    man, what's going on this week?

I'm not going to say there aren't legit reasons to decrease your consumption of sugar, 'cuz there are, and most people who eat the SAD could stand to reduce their intake of refined sugars and increase their consumption of fruits and veg...but if you're truly addicted to sugar, you are addicted to sugar...on a molecular level, there is no difference between naturally occurring sugars in fruit and veg vs. added sugars...on a molecular level, they are the same...saying you're addicted to one but not the other is like saying, "I'm an alcoholic...but I'm only addicted to booze, not beer and wine.

my guess is that you likely have an affinity for "junk"...I have a wee bit of a sweet tooth myself and I have benefited from substantially moderating my intake of that kind of stuff...but, it's not an addiction.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    rensife wrote: »
    You will feel so much better! In a week or two, you will have so much found energy - sugar really weighs you down - fun experiment to try - put a can of coke in a bucket of water - it sinks to the bottom - try it with a diet coke - it floats to the top (I am not advocating artificial sweetner, as I think it is bad as well) - but that's what it does to your body - water, water, and more water is my motto! Your are off to a great start!

Lol.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How's that??

I go over my sugar every day with fruits and sugary goodness, I walk 6 miles a day 6-7 days a week and heavy lift 5 days a week, I wonder how I do that. ;)
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

ROFL! Are you serious here or are just trolling? :smiley:

Anyways, I think it's a good idea to eat a bit less sugar, but I don't like to call it "sugar addiction". In my dictionary "addiction" is a strong term, reserved for behavior that really makes you a slave; your life is hell if you have to live without the stimulant. Actual addictions in are alcohol addiction and drug addiction. Sugar "addiction" is not extreme enough (and neither is coffee "addiction"), I guess you can call it whatever you want, but to me it makes no sense to use the word addiction for both sugar addiction and cocaine addiction (that other sugar)?

I would call eating too much sugar a bad habit, not an addiction.
  • Alluminati
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How's that??

I go over my sugar every day with fruits and sugary goodness, I walk 6 miles a day 6-7 days a week and heavy lift 5 days a week, I wonder how I do that. ;)

YES but ...do you sink or float?