What should I get at dinner??

Options
tonight I'm going to a Mexican restraunt and I'm honestly not trying to go all out- so please no one say " just eat what you want and make up for it later." Just curious of what yall usually order at Mexican restraunts or what some lighter options are? Or how I can try to keep it as healthy as possible ? The place we are eating has no nutritional information on anything so any help or ideas would be great. Thanks!!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd go for a chicken enchilada.. I love those.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I actually just ate Mexican food for lunch. I had fajitas and allowed myself only one tortilla. I ate the meat and veggies and took the rice home for another meal. Instead of refried beans, I had their black beans. I avoided the chips too.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Get something grilled, and use corn tortillas instead of flour. Avoid sour cream and deep fried food. Just some suggestions. I'm always shocked at how many calories there are in a thin flour tortilla.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Taco salad? Fajitas?

If I were looking to eat light Mexican I would avoid: Sour cream, refried beans, burritos, anything wet/smothered in sauce and cheese, etc.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Our local Mexican restaurants give you HUGE platters of food... I'm not sure what the place is like that you are going to, but if it is the same, I would ask for a box at the beginning of the meal, and portion out half of it to take home so you aren't tempted to eat the whole thing.
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Taco salad? Fajitas?

If I were looking to eat light Mexican I would avoid: Sour cream, refried beans, burritos, anything wet/smothered in sauce and cheese, etc.

^ I second that. And avoid the chips. I would try fish if they have it. I love fish though.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I love getting chicken fajitas. Generally I just eat the chicken, rice, a small bit of tortilla, and add a moderate amount of pico, guacamole, sour cream, ect to everything. Definitely seconding getting a box; you can enjoy some now and late.r
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Cheese enchiladas with chile con carne, rice, beans, and every spare corn chip and drop of salsa I can get.

fkms0n8cllcx.jpg
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I usually get two street tacos (chicken or beef), chips, salsa, two beers, and steal a bit of my husband's rice and beans.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Our local Mexican restaurants give you HUGE platters of food... I'm not sure what the place is like that you are going to, but if it is the same, I would ask for a box at the beginning of the meal, and portion out half of it to take home so you aren't tempted to eat the whole thing.

Cosigned.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »

This is allowed by you? A lot of places by me won't do this, and if they do, they charge you if you ask for a box at the beginning of the meal.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I get chicken fajitas without tortillas. My fork is just as good at getting all of the yum to my face as the tortillas and I'd rather have 400 calories of sour cream and guacamole.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ideally, a taco salad with no dressing and no sour cream.

The sides are killer, count 200-250 calories for rice or beans. Fajitas without the tortillas are a decent option unless they drown the meat and veggies in oil... I mean, looking at Chevy's nutrition, chicken fajitas are 900 calories without counting the tortillas... lol. But yes it's the best option (after the veggies fajitas).

I'll be honest, if I want Mexican, I usually do it myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Steak, portion of the rice with salsa. Or two tacos.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how about you do the following:

sit down to dinner
    order a drink
    review menu
    find an item you like
    order said item
    eat said item

the end …

I mean that is what I do when I go to a mexican restaurant...
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Don't go hungry, because then it's super hard to resist the chips. I'm not speaking from experience or anything....
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I go, I get something with a corn tortilla. Everyone's right, most flour tortillas have a ton of calories. I'll eat the beans, but not the rice. At least the beans have fiber and nutrients in them.

Rice has nutrients.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how about you do the following:

sit down to dinner
    order a drink
    review menu
    find an item you like
    order said item
    eat said item

the end …

I mean that is what I do when I go to a mexican restaurant...

^^This.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    When I go, I get something with a corn tortilla. Everyone's right, most flour tortillas have a ton of calories. I'll eat the beans, but not the rice. At least the beans have fiber and nutrients in them.

rice has no nutrients, really?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I actually just ate Mexican food for lunch. I had fajitas and allowed myself only one tortilla. I ate the meat and veggies and took the rice home for another meal. Instead of refried beans, I had their black beans. I avoided the chips too.

This is what I'd do, except I'd get the refried beans. :smile: but that's just preference.