can anyone tell me what bike riding will do for me?

Options
rosehips60
rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
I know that I'm working my legs but what else (if anything) will firm up as a result of my new habit of riding my bike to and from work? I have about a 4 mile round trip with pretty steep hills at each end.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's good for your heart...it's primarily cardio so it's going to strengthen your heart. muscle wise you are primarily working your legs and glutes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Your core might get a little stronger, too, but the primary benefits are going to be stronger legs, increased cardiovascular health and a greater calorie burn.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well I don't usually ride a bike outdoors, but I do spin classes. If your gears and resistance is up high (fairly steep hills), then you'll work your glutes and thighs a lot. If you're out of the saddle, then your core will get a workout too. If you're doing a flat road ride then it's pretty much pure cardio.
  • rosehips60
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm just one of those people who wants to know the details :)
  • Mmd1929
    Mmd1929 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think they're called Endorphins. It is what makes you feel good, happy, optimistic. The more I ride, the better I feel. Sometimes, when I get 10 miles into my ride and I want to go home instead of riding another 10 miles, that is my chant, "The more I ride, the better I feel." Then I push just one more mile, then one more, then one more. I'm 63 years old. Bike Riding makes me happy.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    love jumping on the BMX

Legs for sure, cardio and your *kitten* gets a good thrashing too depending how you ride

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    You mentioned hills

Probably firm and build your thighs and booty.

Cardio for sure.

Endurance.

Maybe you will enjoy riding and do fun rides.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Mmd1929 wrote: »
    I think they're called Endorphins. It is what makes you feel good, happy, optimistic. The more I ride, the better I feel. Sometimes, when I get 10 miles into my ride and I want to go home instead of riding another 10 miles, that is my chant, "The more I ride, the better I feel." Then I push just one more mile, then one more, then one more. I'm 63 years old. Bike Riding makes me happy.

Cosigned.
    This is why I ride, y'all.

My quads look pretty great, too, and my resting HR dropped about 35 bpm, but mostly, cycling makes me really happy.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Also, you get to brag about riding your bike to work. :)

And you save on gas money and car pollution!

In my case, it was also a gateway drug into road cycling. So that "gas money" business kind of went by the wayside when I started buying bike things. But it is soooo worth it.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It will get you from point A to point B, faster than walking.
  • Noogsofthenorth
    Noogsofthenorth Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can arrive at many destinations
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1)Save on gas $$ if you are taking it to work (instead of driving). Oh yeah environmental stuff too.
    2) Cardio exercise
    3) fun
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Primary muscle groups are obviously your legs and glutes. Secondary muscles are core, shoulders, back and arms. How much those things get worked will somewhat depend on how you ride.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll get good at riding a bike.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's cardio but easier on your knees than running.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My family just went to the Kiwanis bike shop last week and we all got bikes ("new" ones that are not too small for the kids). My oldest daughter and I have been out twice this week riding. Today we did nearly 6.5 miles out on the roads near our house. It's something we can all do together, which is a big thing for us.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every muscle group but it will not necessary "bulk" muscle groups that is not the primary actor in performing the work.
    Well I don't usually ride a bike outdoors... If you're doing a flat road ride then it's pretty much pure cardio.

Not really. Availability of oxygen is the primary determination and there is no such thing as pure aerobic (cardio) during exercise; anaerobic pathway usage is always part of the equation. You cannot trigger type I without trigger type II muscles, and vise versa. Sitting upright tends to be the default position on climbs. On flats, Cd is your biggest enemy and to go faster one need a more aerodynamic stance which place greater stress on the core with lesser stress to shoulders and arms (depending on your flexibility and how you are fitted to the bike). Even sitting upright, you are still relaying on your core for balance.
  • rosehips60
    Options
    Mmd1929 wrote: »

I'm 54 and bike riding makes me happy too! I think it brings back memories of all the fun I had riding as a kid, it is still fun
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It gives me a great excuse to wear bright lycra.