What happens if I don't eat all my calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    No i am logging them...sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm logging every single thing that passes my lips! :)

whoops, sorry I read that wrong.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi all thanks for the replies!

Height: 5 foot 3 inches
    Weight:248 pounds
    Goal weight: 160
    Rate of loss per week: 1lb over three weeks
    Activity level:low
    Exercise habits:pretty minimal, just walking
    Do you log your food (with a scale): yes
    Do you eat back exercise calories:no

I'm not going to open my diary if that's okay but I'm very low carb, having spoken to a dietician, and the carbs I am eating are small portions of brown rice, quinoa, wholegrain bread, no more than 120g per day. I haven't eaten any pasta, white bread or rice and I've greatly increased my vegetable and protein intake. Im in the region of 1200 calories every day, give or take 50 calories or so. I've been found to be glucose intolerant so it's really important to me that I lose weight.

Thanks again

if there a reason why your activity level is low? try going to a walk or the gym. you can always put the treadmill on an incline burn some extra calories. Get that heart rate up! Also try some strength training. You wont bulk up but you will build muscle and muscle helps burn more calories at rest and speed up your metabolism :)

*edit* i just reread your post and saw that you dont have time to exercise. i hope you find time in the future or find a 24 hour gym
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    ReidTate wrote: »
    what are you eating? you need to eat healthy or you wont see as much change as you like you cant keep the same foods and expect to see change junk it out. eat healthy candy is dandy but fruit helps you poop

Not necessary to cut out "junk" food. Calorie deficit and moderation can get results.

I never said that you cant eat junk. I said you cant eat junk and get the results as quick.but there problem was that they are not losing as much as they would like.therefore if your in your limit but all your calories are empty its not as fine. so how do you help increase weight lose you increase good habits.

Weight loss is about eating at a deficit. Type of food does not matter in terms of losing weight as long as it fits within your calories. No one type of food will make you lose weight faster either. You can eat donuts all day, and as long as you are at a deficit you will lose at the same rate as you would if you ate those same calories in fruit.

• Eninad
    Eninad Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I started at 250 and I tried to eat 1200 right away. I was very committed, I was great at it, but... it eventually stalled out and I was grumpy, hungry, deprived and miserable all the time. When I stalled out I assumed I just had broken my body metabolism and I wasn't going to be one of the success stories. I gained it all back.

The next time I started paying mind to my health (because let's face it: being 45 years old, 250 pounds, only 5' 2" with high triglycerides and blood pressure isn't a recipe for living much longer) I used 1400 as my starting calorie goal. I dropped to 230, after 20 pounds lost, I changed my number to 1300. At 1300 I lost slower but got to 210. I've dropped my calories to 1200 again and I've hit 205, but it is hard. I lose on average 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. On super weeks where I get my exercise in I can lose 2 pounds!

I want to go back to 1300 or 1400 or more calories. I love food! Exercising more is the only way to earn that level of food back. I eat back only half of my exercise calories, so I am stuck at this rate unless I move more.

Eat for your activity. Log with an honest scale. I am going to be one of the success stories. You can too!
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - weight is coming off very slowly, BUT my doctor recommended losing about 1/2 to 1 pound per week. He said this is healthiest and sustainable. So, while I'm not happy about the very slow loss and the scale staying the same, sometimes for weeks at a time, at least I know in the end the numbers are slowly making their way down. I use a digital scale and weigh my food, look up nutritional values for everything, have cut out soda and increased water intake. I eat much healthier food than I did in the past - more chicken, fish and salads - less red meat, fat and dairy. Have switched to low-fat or no-fat dairy and if I am going out to a restaurant to eat a meal I look up their nutritional info BEFORE I go and decide what I'm going to order (and make sure it fits in my daily calorie goal). I have also now started incorporating some walking for exercise, but haven't seen much in the way of weight loss due to it yet. However, I know it is something I need to do. Most days I am 400-500 calories under my goal. Some days, like today, I was over by 30. That is rare though - at least 5 days out of 7 I am under my calorie goal. I guess we just have to stick with it and it will eventually come off. This is a life-long journey and not a 'quick fix diet'. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. I can always use friends to help motivate me and encourage me when I get down due to the slow loss.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Eninad wrote: »
    I started at 250 and I tried to eat 1200 right away. I was very committed, I was great at it, but... it eventually stalled out and I was grumpy, hungry, deprived and miserable all the time. When I stalled out I assumed I just had broken my body metabolism and I wasn't going to be one of the success stories. I gained it all back.

The next time I started paying mind to my health (because let's face it: being 45 years old, 250 pounds, only 5' 2" with high triglycerides and blood pressure isn't a recipe for living much longer) I used 1400 as my starting calorie goal. I dropped to 230, after 20 pounds lost, I changed my number to 1300. At 1300 I lost slower but got to 210. I've dropped my calories to 1200 again and I've hit 205, but it is hard. I lose on average 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. On super weeks where I get my exercise in I can lose 2 pounds!

I want to go back to 1300 or 1400 or more calories. I love food! Exercising more is the only way to earn that level of food back. I eat back only half of my exercise calories, so I am stuck at this rate unless I move more.

Eat for your activity. Log with an honest scale. I am going to be one of the success stories. You can too!

I've been saying this a lot on everyones post but strength training will help speed up your metabolism. muscle burns calories at rest. if you gain some muscle you will beable to increase your caloric intake and still lose weight.
  • cousinmurgatroyd
    cousinmurgatroyd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I'm going to start some strength training combined with cardio and see how that goes.it'so definitely a long journey but I'm determined, you all have helped a lot :-)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Do you really weigh EVERYTHING and dont use cups and spoons or serving sizes at all?

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    what are you eating? you need to eat healthy or you wont see as much change as you like you cant keep the same foods and expect to see change junk it out. eat healthy candy is dandy but fruit helps you poop

Not necessary to cut out "junk" food. Calorie deficit and moderation can get results.

I never said that you cant eat junk. I said you cant eat junk and get the results as quick.but there problem was that they are not losing as much as they would like.therefore if your in your limit but all your calories are empty its not as fine. so how do you help increase weight lose you increase good habits.

Weird. I, along with many others on these forums, have eaten "junk" and gotten results quickly and hit our goals. Moderation is key. There are no "empty" or "full" calories, nor are there "good" or "bad" ones. Bodies can't distinguish the calories from carrots to the calories from Big Macs. You just need a deficit.

Please do not spread misinformation like this. Implying that there are "good" and "bad" calories, and that choosing one over the other can hinder progress is problematic.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I feel like I'm making more of a lifestyle change this time because of the glucose Intolerance but it's still pretty demotivating to not lose anything.

Metformin would make it much easier for you. Start at the tiniest dose possible because of the potential nausea side effects. You need to see your doctor.

Also, MEASURE your foods and EXERCISE more.

You DO have time. Download SWORKIT--phone app. Do 1 min of cardio 3x per week and 1 min of strength 2x per week, with :30 on and :30 rest. Up it by 1 min each week for the next 10 weeks. Then lower your rests by :05 a week and up your exercise time by 1 min each week for another 3 weeks. Then add one more minute each week until you hit 20 min total every day 5 days a week. You only need your body and enough clear floor space for your body.

• Looser47
    Looser47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in a similar situation I've been on a vlcd for 3 weeks. I lost 3 kilos in that time and was really happy. Now I've come to the stage where I'm struggling to loose half a pound in 1 week? I'm on optislim vlcd and have 2 shakes a day and 1 bar. I have an apple, bananna and some blueberries for snacks. My calorie intake per day is less than 1000 so I don't understand why I'm not loosing more considering im not eating much at all. Im starting to get frustrated now and not sure what else I can do? Any advice would be great. Thank you.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Looser47 wrote: »
    Hi I'm in a similar situation I've been on a vlcd for 3 weeks. I lost 3 kilos in that time and was really happy. Now I've come to the stage where I'm struggling to loose half a pound in 1 week? I'm on optislim vlcd and have 2 shakes a day and 1 bar. I have an apple, bananna and some blueberries for snacks. My calorie intake per day is less than 1000 so I don't understand why I'm not loosing more considering im not eating much at all. Im starting to get frustrated now and not sure what else I can do? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Why are you doing this?
    How much do you have to lose?
    Is this doctor supported?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I'm going to start some strength training combined with cardio and see how that goes.it'so definitely a long journey but I'm determined, you all have helped a lot :-)

I added strength work last year and am very happy with the results. The same clothes fit me at 10 pounds heavier and I haven't had to deprive myself to get here. I haven't lost as many pounds this time around but I'm firmer and smaller and in my mind that's what really counts, not some number on the scale that no one else sees.