Sushi!

Options
I'm going to my local all you can eat sushi (don't take that into bad context, it's worth it)
What are the best health conscious choices for sushi that you like?
Just keep in mind I have an allergy to avocado, and the sushi master will be aware of this so no california rolls :P

Replies

• Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    I really like crab meat rolls, sweet potato tempura rolls (even though the sweet potato is deep fried), pan fried dumplings, bbq eel nigiri and yeah that's about it haha.
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! Although most sushi has avacado...can you ask them to leave it out or sustitute it?
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you get nigiri or sashimi, you get full faster and the calories are not so high! I also enjoy philadelphia rolls, yellowtail rolls, and escolar rolls :)
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi! Any of the sashimi and nigiri would probably be your best bet. It's the rice that usually packs the most calories. Edamame are another good choice. The tempura isn't bad and neither is miso soup. However, miso is usually very high in salt.

Speaking of which I am going for sushi tomorrow night :bigsmile:
  • steffae
    steffae Posts: 47
    Options
    Yeah I usually have them sub it with cucumber or zucchini....I;m anaphylaxis to tropical fruit, avocado will make me feel like **** but it won't kill me. I just prefer not to get sick from it haha
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the dragon roll (unagi) and you can remove the avocado... but the smarter choice would be to get sashimi
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Hand rolls! A salmon skin hand roll is only around 160. They tend to have a higher fish to rice ratio which is good while still giving you e feeling of regular sushi with the seaweed yumminess.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that your avatar is ridiculously cute. But since I'm here: I could eat albacore nigiri all day long.
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    avacado is great for you. but rice has a lot of carbs.
    I would avoid anything with rice and fried
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus and cucumber rolls (super light!) Salmon nigiri or other white fish, quite good.

Spicy tuna and such generally has mayo in it (I think, maybe) so maybe avoid those? Avoid Eel sauce, it's sugary.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Your avatar is amazingly cute!!!!!!

Sushi is generally very healthy. Just be cautious of the huge amounts of sodium in the soy sauce, use only a tiny bit, if any. Also try to avoid tempura, because its fried.

Other than that, just enjoy yourself! I looooove sushi and try to eat it at least once a month. Its an amazing source of protein and as long as you watch the sodium, it is a very healthy meal
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Radish roll! It's tasty! Also - prolly any sashimi will be low fat/lower carb choice (spicy tuna roll may have mayo though not too much)
    Either way, sushi is very filling after the first 4 pieces. Have some miso beforehand and you'll be all good.
    And enjoy!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Tuna tataki - No rice and super yummmm :)
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I swear if I ever win the lottery I will employ my own live in sushi chef!! I love sushi, it is soooo fresh and extremely healthy my favorite would be tuna, followed by salmon, oh yummmm, I'm getting hungry thinking about it, good choice
  • Tvstarbabe
    Tvstarbabe Posts: 101
    Options
    Spicy crunchy tuna rolls :)
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I personally am a sashimi lover, salmon is my favorite. If you're more into maki then stick with the simple rolls that only involve fish (and maybe veg like cucumber). The fancy rolls with the spicy sauces and tempura tend to be way higher calorie.

Check this link for calorie details:
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • cicadagirl
    cicadagirl Posts: 51
    Options
    I only eat vegetarian sushi ('cause I hate fish, not 'cause I'm a vegetarian!) so my choices tend to be particularly simple, ha. I love kappa maki (just cucumber, rice, and the nori wrapper!), tamago (sweetened egg), inari (rice wrapped in sweet tofu), ume maki (not common...sour plum paste with rice and the nori wrapper), natto maki (an acquired taste and also not common--fermented soybean paste), and any maki containing pickled veggies. I will also admit to occasionally getting asparagus tempura rolls. Yes, I know tempura means it's fried, but it's an occasional treat for me, ha!

My husband's favorites are spicy tuna and ikura rolls. I can't stomach them, but he seems to love them!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Curses! I just read this thread and I really want sushi and sashimi now. Some tacozashimi would be nice.... mmmmm.... taco......