If you workout 2x a day -- hair washing?

Options
hillview2
hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
If you work out more than once a day -- and you sweat :) do you wash your hair 2x? If not what do you do? If so what shampoo do you use? I have longish thick hair.
Thanks!

Replies

• ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    My sweat on my head doesn't have BO that goes with it so I don't wash 2x a day. I have thick long hair and it doesn't get greasy looking as quickly as those with thin hair so I can go longer between washes. Sometimes I will just rinse it or just use conditioner if it needs a pick me up.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough that I don't have to wash my hair for 2 to 3 days...when I exercise, I pony it...then, when I shower the steam freshens it up...washing your hair a lot is very, very bad
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    well i only work out once a day but i only wash my hair like every 3 or 4 days haha, i just use a shower cap. my hair doesn't get greasy looking too easily so i guess thats why i works for me :)
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You could also use a dry shampoo between regular shampoos...Or a hair refresher...I like the one by Marc Anthony, it's lightly scented and not heavy. I tried one by Avon and it was awful...really perfumy and gunky-feeling. I think Tresemme makes a dry shampoo, if you don't want to break the bank. Hope this helps!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Add me to the only washing it every 3 to 4 days. My hair is very long and there's no way I could wash it everyday without majorly damaging it. If I've had a very sweaty workout, I just hold the bulk of my hair (usually in a braided bun) out of the way and let the shower run over my head to rinse the scalp.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair pretty much every day. I have straight fine hair so after a day my scalp gets oily. I WISH I could go without washing my hair every day. But yes there are dry shampoos you get use.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Suave also now has a dry shampoo that I really like. My hair gets greasy pretty fast, but I hate to have to wash it everyday. I feel like this dry shampoo is pretty light, does the job, and it's only $3 at Target and Walmart!
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I only wash every 2-3 days. My stylist has told me FOREVER that all I need is water and friction. I agrued about it for a long time.... "I work out, I need to wash my hair, etc.....: But she was right. Most of the time on my in between days I just scrub my scalp with water and add a little conditioner to the ends to keep the tangles out.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Washing your hair once a day is bad enough, 2x is just crazy. If you don't mind having to dry and style twice a day, I'd recommend just rinsing. Or, try dry shampoo or refresher. Actually the dry shampoo or refresher would be better than rinsing.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Suave also now has a dry shampoo that I really like. My hair gets greasy pretty fast, but I hate to have to wash it everyday. I feel like this dry shampoo is pretty light, does the job, and it's only $3 at Target and Walmart!

Agreed! I, too, have really oily hair, and I've tested 10 dry shampoos. The Suave won me over in all categories. Works really well, smells nice, leaves no white residue and is very affordable. I shampoo/condition only on run days, so 3x/wk, and dry shampoo in between as needed. A bottle lasts me about a month (I have longer hair).
  • cecrossley
    cecrossley Posts: 46
    Options
    As a hair stylist and a sweat-er, I still recommend washing it as very little as possible. A minimum of every other day.. There is no better conditioner for your scalp and hair then it's own natural oils. If you have any sort of dry scalp or hair, this is an absolute MUST. It does take time for your scalp to adjust. You can't go from 2x a day to 4 days in between without a grease factory, but you can make big changes right away. If you can, try switching up your styles. When I worked full time, this was my schedule:

day 1.) start with clean hair...maybe wear it straight. Shower and don't get it wet after your workout.
    day 2.) try curling or waving it. Curls benefit from the "texture" ;) ... it actually looks better than fresh washed. After workout, shower and rinse. Put conditioner on ONLY on the ends. Putting it on the roots can make it greasy.
    day 3.) curly/wavy or even beachy scrunched... Don't get it wet after workout.
    day 4.) best pony tail of your life. A little natural oil, a little left over product, it will look thick, and awsome in a messy pony or braid. You can wash after workout or wait until AM and repeat. :tongue:

Very curly or dry hair can go a week or so without needing to be washed. It sounds gross, but it's sooo much better for you!!
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i can see going a couple of days without washing *if* you don't sweat. odds are, if you're working out, you're sweating and getting gross. i say wash your hair both times. smell someone's head after a couple of hours of running around & sweating. trust me, you'll *want* to wash it after each time you work out. lol. i'd rather have clean hair/scalp than worry about damaging my hair. they make great conditioners/reparative products for that.
  • cecrossley
    cecrossley Posts: 46
    Options
    i'd rather have clean hair/scalp than worry about damaging my hair. they make great conditioners/reparative products for that.

Unfortunately, it's not just your hair you have to worry about. The over washing will have a more detrimental effect on your scalp. Dry, itching, red is just the start. Then people think they have dandruff and will dump Head and Shoulders or something else as causticly chemical on it to "remedy." People develop problems like eczema and psoriasis on their scalps, and it can be caused simply from over washing.

**many factors CAN play into skin problems. It is not the ONLY way to develop those, but in my experience, after initial treatment, future outbreaks can all but be eliminated by finding the best shampoo for you and cutting back on the actual act.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair every 2 or 3 days - it styles better when it's dirty.
  • horizonsp
    horizonsp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair in 2-3 days. My hair gets oily but still I don't wash it every day. I will try the dry shampoos. Thanks for the info.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This might sound super gross, but there was a period where I would only rinse thoroughly. No shampoo, no soap, no conditioner, no treatment, nothing. I did this for over a year.

The worst bit was the first 2 weeks, after that your hairs natural oils take over and keep your hair clean and healthy (and not smelly at all).
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    i'd rather have clean hair/scalp than worry about damaging my hair. they make great conditioners/reparative products for that.

Unfortunately, it's not just your hair you have to worry about. The over washing will have a more detrimental effect on your scalp. Dry, itching, red is just the start. Then people think they have dandruff and will dump Head and Shoulders or something else as causticly chemical on it to "remedy." People develop problems like eczema and psoriasis on their scalps, and it can be caused simply from over washing.

**many factors CAN play into skin problems. It is not the ONLY way to develop those, but in my experience, after initial treatment, future outbreaks can all but be eliminated by finding the best shampoo for you and cutting back on the actual act.

i understand this *could* happen, but odds are it won't unless you have an existing skin condition, in which case you would need to take precautions and use special products. however, washing your hair every day, or even a couple of times a day, with the correct shampoo/conditioner, will not necessarily lead to these things. proper diet & hydration help aid in healthy hair/scalp, as well.

ps. i used to work in a salon/spa, too:)
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    and for the record, you can't smell your own head (unless you're an elephant). take a good whiff of someone's head after a day of not washing and tell me it doesn't smell, *especially* after sweating/working out.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options

i understand this *could* happen, but odds are it won't unless you have an existing skin condition, in which case you would need to take precautions and use special products. however, washing your hair every day, or even a couple of times a day, with the correct shampoo/conditioner, will not necessarily lead to these things. proper diet & hydration help aid in healthy hair/scalp, as well.

ps. i used to work in a salon/spa, too:)

It doesn't matter if you have a current skin condition. Washing is drying, period. I worked in a salon and spa to. I'm also a medical esthetician and I have a pretty good education in the anatomy of the skin. Our integumentary system is designed to protect itself, thats what sebum is, a protectant. Washing it away causes the skin to produce more because it wants to be there. The only place on the body you can get away with washing twice per day is the face, and that is because products are designed specifically for twice per day cleansing. Even daily showering can be damaging. Like attracts like, so even rinsing can "pull" moisture out of the skin and leve it dry. Alot of people claim to be oily when they are actually severely dry because of what they are doing. Smelling someones head won't tell you anything. Looking under a mag lamp will show you.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Sauve dry shampoo! I'm gonna look for that on my next Target trip!