New Runner suffering from stitches

Options
Dit84
Dit84 Posts: 18 Member
Good afternoon all
I'm a new runner and have been doing the Runtastic pro training for beginners however my stitches keep stopping me from doing my best.
I have tried everything I couldn't find on the Internet and have stopped running in a field and gone to the pavement but nothing is helping.
If there's any advise from someone else in my shoe (excuse the pun)
Any advise is appreciated
Many Thanks

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are referring to side stitches? Usually this is a case of running too fast. Information on how long you are running for, how fast and when they occur might be helpful.
  • alisonmarie85
    alisonmarie85 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Could also be dehydrated.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
    Breathe
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Side stitches? I'll get those if I'm running too fast and/or not breathing properly. When I get them I slow down and focus on breathing more deeply and usually they'll go away.

Edit - I also get them much less often than I used too when I first started. I've read that they can also be caused by a weak core.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Side stitches are diaphragm spasms. The solution is slow rhythmic breathing. Breathe in on every second right foot strike or whatever works for you to get your breathing under control.
  • actinica
    actinica Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you just started, chances are you haven't fully learned how to breathe in a controlled way.

Side stitches can happen when you're chest breathing vs belly breathing while running. As @beemerphile1 said, your diaphragm is spasming.

Look up belly breathing and how to strengthen your diaphragm.

Here's a decent article from a google search: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I make sure to concentrate on breathing out properly.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Focus on how you're breathing during your runs.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My husband suffered terrible with this when he first started running. Some-one on the runners world forum told him to breathe out on his left foot.
    We thought the advice was stupid but it worked! He has never had it again. Apparently it is due to the liver hitting the diaphragm.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Slow down. We all try to run too fast when starting a new running program but I promise you the speed comes later. I try to sing a song that I'm listening too while I'm running and while it sounds odd it sorts my breathing out because they say you should never run too fast to not be able to hold a brief convo with your running partner. Since I run alone the singing is the equivalent for me.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i get it if i run too close to eating .. i have to leave around 2-3hrs after food.. could be that
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »
    Slow down. We all try to run too fast when starting a new running program but I promise you the speed comes later. I try to sing a song that I'm listening too while I'm running and while it sounds odd it sorts my breathing out because they say you should never run too fast to not be able to hold a brief convo with your running partner. Since I run alone the singing is the equivalent for me.

Bloody brilliant, thank you.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The best cure I have found for these stitches during running is to sing. It encourages diaphragm relaxation and focus breathing. Only takes a few minutes to relax the diaphragm and your off