Anyone feeling guilty about gardening?

Options
I haven't been to the gym in over a week and a half. It started with a stomach bug but out here in the PNW we only get sun from 4pm to 7pm in the evening (at least until after the ides of June) So, after I started feeling better - instead of hitting the gym - I've been hitting my garden pretty bad.

Or good, if you are a gardener.

I am having a great time! My house is looking pretty great. My kids are having a wonderful time just playing in the dirt and we've got a small garden started now.

My problem? I am feeling guilty for not actually going to the gym. I feel like I'm not really doing "actual exercise" because I'm having too much fun. I feel like all those calories that I'm burning aren't actually being burned off because I'm "only gardening."

Anyone else having gardeners guilt? Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Replies

• ivorythorns
    ivorythorns Posts: 33
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty! You're getting up and doing something -- and, besides, beginning a garden is actually quite a bit of work!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Actually gardening burns calories. I think it is even in the database. I have seen people record it many times. I know I sweat up a storm gardening.

Is PNW the Pacific Northwest? I am geographically challenged...big time!
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    I have a small garden as well :) Don't feel guilty about getting out and the durt and digging around. The sun gives you vitamin d
    (please where sunscreen) Also there is chemicals in the dirt that make you happy.

You could always try to go to the gym for 30 min
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sorry - PNW = Pacific NorthWest. We have lots of rain here this year. It's making my tomato plants have sad faces.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have been gardening. Running the rototiller made a sweat. Also, I figure I am growing healthy food to put in my body this summer. As the garden starts growing, the time in it is less, and I will get back on the bike. I figure as long as I am off the couch I am doing well.

And, yes, when the rain stops in the Northwest, I like to get in the garden. Don't get enough of that.

Enjoy the garden.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is what getting healthy is all about! You've got the energy to hang out with your kids and garden and be active! This is what living an "active lifestyle" means. I know a lot of super-fit people who don't have gym memberships. They get OUT! Great job, and keep up the good work!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Gardening is hard work! I think it's fine to count it as exercise. The best way to stick with getting out and moving is to do something you enjoy.
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just track your calories burned for gardening and if you feel like you are not getting much of a burn, there are many exercise videos you can do at night in your pretty home (or even in your pretty garden). :wink: :blushing:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooo don't feel guitly! I have a few very large gardens and the only reason I'd feel guilty was if I didn't plant myself silly this time of year! I'm also in the PNW and it's definitely time to do it. Enjoy yourself out there, dig until you sweat, hoe the soil and haul some hay for mulch. You'll burn and burn and burn. And log your gardening calories! :wink:
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    My mother had stomach surgery seven years ago and she garden the whole two years and lost 220lbs. So don't feel bad about it you can garden to your hearts content and it will help you loss weight.
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty!! I have been pulling weeds for hours some days...and the last thing I want to do is walk---but when I start feeling bad, I remember all the calories I've just burned, and can feel my body humming from all the muscles used and burning.... So, I would say, NEVER feel bad about gardening.... I have lots of plants with sad faces cuz of the stupid rain---it is starting to wear on all of us. The other day it was 68:bigsmile: ! Then-BAM- back to 47-55 and rain for t:ohwell: he next 7-9 days. :sad: blah-I want 68 back :flowerforyou:
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. I injured my foot last week from pushing myself too hard with gardening and trying to keep up my workouts. I was continuing my hard workouts plus 4-5 hours a day of gardening and my foot just said "NO". Now the past few days I've been set back and had to rest setting me back more than if I had just slowed down a little when I had the first signs of being overworked.

Enjoy your gardening!