stationary cycling

Options
tonydixon3
tonydixon3 Posts: 10 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm confused I did 40 minutes on one of these bikes at my gym and its one that is pretty high tech, shows calories burned, speed you cycled, heart rate monitor on the grips etc. Now it said I only burned less than 200 calories, when I went to add this exercise to my diary the general effort was way higher and even the lighest effort was higher, I don't know what i should go by what the machine shows or what MFP says I would a burned.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    split the difference
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    split the difference

This
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    They are both estimates. Go with the lower one and monitor your results. Its possible to spend time on cardio equipment but just go through the motions. Things like watage measurement would give you more chance of figuring out what was going on. How far did you travel in that period?

Both MFP estimates and machine readings can sometimes overestimate, for the moment go with the lower one so you dont end up eating calories you havent burned. Standard treatment for MFP is to eat 50% of burns and adjust by reasult.
  • tonydixon3
    tonydixon3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll probably just not log it peroid, so I'll be more calorie deficit, I usually don't like to log my workouts because of them being estimates, but I was about to chow down on some high calorie grub so haha thought I'd do it this time to stay under, I'll just be disciplined and not eat over my limit.