scale????

Options
I dont have a scale so cant see when iv lost weight i wanna get one but have no idea a round about cost anyone know about how much and where some cheep but lasting ones would be?????

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Amazon or Walmart will have cheap scales. I got mine for around $20 at CVS. It's a CVS brand digital glass scale.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart scales are well reviewed on Amazon. They have models between 25-100, depending on the features you want. Of course, your local Walmart or Target will have several cheap models as well.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Got mine at Walmart for I think under $20, I've had it about 2-3 yrs
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart for about $25. It even gives me body fat and body water percentages. I've had it a year or so, but I had another of the same brand that lasted several years before I decided to update.
  • jeffords
    jeffords Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lowes - $40
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I' still catching my breath reading that sentence..lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go for a cheap digital one from amazon ...salter is a decent brand ..mine was about £20 ..don't know what that is in your money but it's probably the same in dollars tbh (not exchange rate but stuff is cheaper in the states)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go for a cheap digital one from amazon ...salter is a decent brand ..mine was about £20 ..don't know what that is in your money but it's probably the same in dollars tbh (not exchange rate but stuff is cheaper in the states)

Easy to estimate pounds to USD for future reference! I often have to figure it out when reading British-based websites. Ours is around 1/2 more (technically $1.55 to each pound), so £20 is $30 USD. But yeah, most likely going to be cheaper than that, depending on the store/company you use to purchase it.
  • westchyenne
    westchyenne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. Also, if you can afford it, get one that also measures body fat. The body fat measurement on an electronic scale may not be the most accurate in the world, but SOMETHING is better than NOTHING. I had no idea what my BF% was when I started. And BF% is a much, much, MUCH more important number than weight.

If you really want to spend a little more, Fitbit has one for about $125 that measures your weight and BF%, then automatically uploads it via Wi-Fi. If you have Fitbit and MFP linked, it automatically updates MFP. Really slick.

Also, if you want accuracy, you can't beat a mechanical balance beam scale. Generally they're quite a bit more $$$, but I found one at a second-hand store for about $20. Bargain of the century!!!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I got a Homedics digital scale for about $29. It replaced one (which broke not even 12 months old) that purportedly measured BF. I found that to be completely useless since it was so variable and not even helpfull for trying to detect a "trend." I use the mechanical balance beam scale when I go to the Y -
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I got a Homedics digital scale for about $29. It replaced one (which broke not even 12 months old) that purportedly measured BF. I found that to be completely useless since it was so variable and not even helpfull for trying to detect a "trend." I use the mechanical balance beam scale when I go to the Y -

You're right about the BF measurements. Electrical impedance (the way the home scales measure BF) is not an extremely accurate (or repeatable) way to measure, and it is unlikely that a scale can help you see day-to-day or week-to-week trends (although my Fitbit Aria seems surprisingly repeatable). However, I think EVERYBODY should have some idea what their BF is; it's the only good way to know what your healthy goal weight is. Having the ability to measure at home isn't necessary, but it is more convenient than some other methods.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options

You're right about the BF measurements. Electrical impedance (the way the home scales measure BF) is not an extremely accurate (or repeatable) way to measure, and it is unlikely that a scale can help you see day-to-day or week-to-week trends (although my Fitbit Aria seems surprisingly repeatable). However, I think EVERYBODY should have some idea what their BF is; it's the only good way to know what your healthy goal weight is. Having the ability to measure at home isn't necessary, but it is more convenient than some other methods.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

The bioimpedance measurement technology can be reasonably accurate (and precise) to the point that it can be used in a clinical setting. The quality level of that tech that you're going to find in a sub $50 scale is not going to be close to that level, however.

(You can look up Tanita TBF-410GS for an idea of what a clinical grade device looks like and costs)

The good news is that the improvements in processing power (nice cheap ARM chips) is making the mid-level scales a lot better in the past few years. Aria or Withings scales for example, or the $50-$100 level scales tend to fall in this range.

The scale I am using is precise enough (consistent measurements from day-to-day) to give me an idea of how my trend is going. The accuracy (how close to the real number) is more questionable, but I'm not as concerned with that right now. At some point I'll go for a hydrostatic measurement and have a good benchmark for comparison.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

The bioimpedance measurement technology can be reasonably accurate (and precise) to the point that it can be used in a clinical setting. The quality level of that tech that you're going to find in a sub $50 scale is not going to be close to that level, however.

(You can look up Tanita TBF-410GS for an idea of what a clinical grade device looks like and costs)

The good news is that the improvements in processing power (nice cheap ARM chips) is making the mid-level scales a lot better in the past few years. Aria or Withings scales for example, or the $50-$100 level scales tend to fall in this range.

The scale I am using is precise enough (consistent measurements from day-to-day) to give me an idea of how my trend is going. The accuracy (how close to the real number) is more questionable, but I'm not as concerned with that right now. At some point I'll go for a hydrostatic measurement and have a good benchmark for comparison.

Thanks for that! I have an Aria, and I am impressed with the repeatability. I was hydrostatically weighed a few weeks before I got it, and it seems to be in line with the hydrostatic weighing, although there were a few weeks between measurements (and the Aria was a bit lower . . . as expected). I'll get hydrostatic weighing done one more time when I get closer, then I'll know about the accuracy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Surpahs-Sense--Multifunction-Digital-Bathroom/dp/B00J48YZMI/ref=sr_1_25?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434204007&sr=1-25-spons&keywords=bathroom+scale

I tested it twice when I had a doctor's appointment. I stepped on it fully clothed just before heading out the door to the doctor's office, then 30 minutes later was weighed on my doctor's scale wearing the exact same things. Both times they were within 1/2 lb of each other so I have every reason to believe it is accurate. It shows BF%, but I am not as sure about the accuracy of that.
  • bpetrosky
    Options

The Eat Smart scales are very nice and the company has a great reputation on Amazon. :)