tips to avoid gorging

Options
I'm a nurse I work 12 hours a day usually I don't eat in this time. But when I get home I am ravenous and I want to eat everything And all the time I overeat. Usually I eat three days worth of calories in one night. does anyone have any tips to avoid gorging like this?

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    As hungry as you are, eat slow! As slow as possible. Try to set aside the food you will eat BEFOREHAND, so you don't grab random things from the fridge/cabinet when grabbing something forgotten, etc.

Try to get some low-cal or 'no' cal snacks, too. Celery, broccoli - there are 0 cal dressings you can buy, too.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would suggest pre-logging. That way you already know what you are going to eat and when you get to eat it. Takes the thought process out of it. Also, bring some easy snacks to work in your bag. Don't let yourself get that hungry in the first place!
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to bring your food in with you so you can eat while you work?
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would prep what you'll have ahead of time. Portion out the meat you'll cook, etc.. I'd bring some high-protein snacks to work to help curb your appetite at work and avoid sugary things. I'd invest in perhaps a crock pot, that wha you can have a warm meal when you get home, just remember to portion it. Hopefully with protein throughout the 12 hours you'll be able portion out better the crockpot food when you get home if you decide to go that route too :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Going 12 hours without eating? I'd eat everything in the fridge too. At least take some snacks to work with you. Fruit, meal replacement bars, SOMETHING.

Edited to add: don't you eat during your meal break? I know this is sometimes only 30 minutes, but if you bring your lunch with you it only takes like 10 minutes to eat a sandwich and a piece of fruit.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating filling foods and having them prepared in advance, and maybe doing some exercise in your spare time so you have less time to eat. That's what I try anyway. The third suggestion will probably help more on your days off.