Cheap high protein/fat foods

Options
2»

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Watch your local ads and buy on sale. I get a whole chicken when it drops to $.79/lb. Eggs are usually a good option, but the egg shortage is causing prices to increase. I've found tofu to be pretty inexpensive, and if you fry it you get lots of protein+fat. Ground turkey and pork are usually cheaper than beef.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Watch your local ads and buy on sale. I get a whole chicken when it drops to $.79/lb. Eggs are usually a good option, but the egg shortage is causing prices to increase. I've found tofu to be pretty inexpensive, and if you fry it you get lots of protein+fat. Ground turkey and pork are usually cheaper than beef.

egg shortage?!

noooooo
  • DancingMoosie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, something about the avian/bird flu killing lots of chickens. HEB is rationing eggs, and Whataburger is cutting its breakfast hours on meals that contain eggs.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Texas is in dire straits
  • ksrandall777
    ksrandall777 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Almond butter and Cashew butter are a good no-sodium alternative to peanut butter. Both are full of monounsaturated fats and protein just like peanut butter.

Soy milk and almond milk are reasonably cheap at $3 per half gallon. You can also pick up the two pack of soymilk or almond milk for about $5-6 dollars
  • breezybree511
    breezybree511 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Nuts, Cheese, Full Fat Dairy

These are a few of my favorite things
    sonytomtp wrote: »
    Protein powder can be found at a cheap rate per kilo.
    Eggs, meat offal (if you don't mind it), peanut butter and full fat milk (fresh is usually cheaper than long life).
    Cheap meats are great too if you can find a decent supplier. Turkey and beef mince are a couple of good value for money examples.

What is offal? And I believe I mentioned it, but I'm not supposed to drink full fat milk because I have a small stomach ulcer. It's getting better but I don't want to upset it again so I stay away from most dairy except for eggs because I love them
  • breezybree511
    breezybree511 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, something about the avian/bird flu killing lots of chickens. HEB is rationing eggs, and Whataburger is cutting its breakfast hours on meals that contain eggs.

Oh God no someone please just kill me before all the chickens die. I don't want to live in a world without chicken legs and eggs *cries hysterically*
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    How are eggs dairy?
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    How are eggs dairy?

lol

uhhh cow...eggs..?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Costco rotisserie chicken. . . still $4.99 for a three pound bird. I get all the meat off, chunk it up and use it in a variety of protein-filled meals.
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    eggs & nut butters of any variety, full fat dairy (milk, yogurt and cheeses), frozen meats are typically cheaper and you can get them precooked as well (I like the tyson pregrilled chicken breasts, or frozen fish filets) or fresh chicken and turkey are both relatively inexpensive. protein bars and powders.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Costco rotisserie chicken. . . still $4.99 for a three pound bird. I get all the meat off, chunk it up and use it in a variety of protein-filled meals.

I do the same

I get maybe 1.5 lb of meat pulled per carcass

too bad they don't make a bird that is all thighs, though
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes are cheap if you live in an area with a grocery store that specifically caters to the Latino community. I can sometimes get a 3-pack of very ripe avocadoes for $1.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    How are eggs dairy?
    Because eggs are next to the real dairy aisle?

Go to Costco/Sam's Club/BJs, get the bigger packages of meat.
    The meat with a higher fat contest is cheaper as well - 80/20 beef is at least 2$/lb cheaper than 93/7 beef.
    Find the meat with the "managers special" sticker and cook it or freeze it that day.

Whole chicken, cut it yourself, real easy.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    How are eggs dairy?
    Because eggs are next to the real dairy aisle?

Go to Costco/Sam's Club/BJs, get the bigger packages of meat.
    The meat with a higher fat contest is cheaper as well - 80/20 beef is at least 2$/lb cheaper than 93/7 beef.
    Find the meat with the "managers special" sticker and cook it or freeze it that day.

Whole chicken, cut it yourself, real easy.

80/20 is better anyway :mrgreen:
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    8kpez4q3bkqe.png

cheap? yup
    high protein? yup
    high fat? yup
    delicious? yup
    1.png 197.4K
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Tins of mackerel in tomato sauce, bulk buy tuna in oil, Fage full fat greek yoghurt 3 x portions of 16g protein = £2.39 (not cheap really but very filling and full of nutrients) chicken thighs, fish fingers, sausages
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have been eating soybeans from freezer section to get enough protein since I am not big on meat and eggs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    beans and lentils are decent sources of protein (particularly lentils) as well as good carbohydrate sources and they're dirt cheap.

fattier cuts of meat are also cheap. also, sausage and whatnot...