Spinach Salad

Options
mamabear0222
mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
So I have this newfound love for spinach on burgers/wraps/sandwiches etc ...

Any ideas for a low fat/low sodium spinach salad?

I've heard people put strawberries and/or mandarin oranges with some nuts in the salad but I cant find any good recipes online.
Help please!

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i know my grandma does spinach leaves with walnuts and dresses it with a raspberry vinaigrette. YUM

EDIT: i also think she puts cucumbers and carrots in there too.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    add bean sprouts and chopped egg...tasty!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I do like mandarin oranges AND strawberries with my spinach. My mom made the salad with nuts and a raspberry vinaigrette for church, but she took some out for me before the dressing went on, and I used a little of the juice (not sugar water, but juice packed oranges) and just had the spinach, oranges, and strawberries. It was really good.

No recipe though.

Something else yummy is quinoa cooked in low sodium broth mixed with a can of rinsed and drained garbanzo beans, with 1/4 c. lemon juice and 1/4 c. olive oil whisked with 1 tsp cumin poured on. Then stir in some nuts (the last ones I used were way delish-a pecan and almond blend) and some chopped dates. Then mix the quinoa blend with the spinach.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do the spinach w sliced strawberries and basalmic vinaigrette. I also use it in just a regular salad too.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach
    One or multiple of the following fruits: diced apples, fresh chopped cherries, fresh chopped strawberries, fresh or dried cranberries, fresh chopped grapes
    One of the following nuts, chopped: almonds, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, macademia nuts.
    Fresh grilled/broiled/baked chicken, diced (seasoned to taste during cooking). For seasoning chicken, I like to use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, pepper, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder. Also, Jerk Sauce or rub is really good. There is a brand made with no high fructose corn syrup, but I can't think of it right now.
    Other veggies: green onion, celery, fresh mushrooms, black olives, tomatos, really anything you like. I prefer green onion and celery.
    Serve with dressing of choice: oil, vinaigrette, lemon poppyseed, raspberry viaigrette.
    Salad can also be topped with cheese of choice: blue cheese, gargonzola, feta, fresh mozzarella, etc.

Good luck! =)
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I make a hot bacon dressing for spinach salad

Mix 1/4 c of splenda with 3 tsp of cornstarch add 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of water and blend

then take about 1/4 cup of hormel bacon bits (real bacon with less fat...find it at BJS wholesale) put it in a skillet,

pour the wet mixture over it and cook it over high heat until it is thick .

pour it over salad.

I like to put grilled shrimp on top of spinach leaves .

It make s a really nice dinner
  • cicadagirl
    cicadagirl Posts: 51
    Options
    A restaurant near me does a great spinach salad which is really easy to recreate at home. Basically, baby spinach as the base, with mandarin orange slices, dried cranberries, chopped pecans, chopped up bacon (this can be omitted for sodium reduction!), crumbled feta, diced red bell pepper, and a honey-mustard dressing. Though I think a sweet flavored balsamic dressing would go nicely as well!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    So I have this newfound love for spinach on burgers/wraps/sandwiches etc ...

Any ideas for a low fat/low sodium spinach salad?

I've heard people put strawberries and/or mandarin oranges with some nuts in the salad but I cant find any good recipes online.
    Help please!

You just made one! Just add a little vinegarette and you are done.
  • AshHerch
    AshHerch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I recently made a strawberry spinach salad.. soooo yummy!
    It was strawberries, slivered almonds, low fat feta cheese, and a homemade dressing- (1/3 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of poppy seeds, and a pinch of paprika)
    DELISH!
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Here is a different one.. put beets in it.. Yumm Yumm.. Publix just came out with a spinach beet salad...add a viniagrette and a little bit of feta...mmm mmm mmm.. Oooh I also added some walnuts and craisins... :D