Clothes size too big for what you weigh?

Options
I've got down to 8stone (112lbs) and I am still a UK size 12.....To me, that is pretty big. I know everyone is different but surely most 8stone women would wear a much smaller clothes size? I'm 5ft 4 and flat chested also! :/

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    depends on

1) where you shop
    2) what your body frame is
    3) what your musculature is and where you hold your weight

why does it matter? Sizing is ridiculous

I'm 5'8 and 160lbs and am a UK 10-12 (possibly an 8 in places like White Stuff and Gap who size big) .. but even then it's not big .. it's the equivalent of a US 6-8

I also have size 14 clothes that fit beautifully

Please do not be fooled by media

If it bothers you cut out the size label and just rock it
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on where you're buying your clothes. A size 12 from River Island or Miss Selfridge is probably comparable with an 8-10 in Dorothy Perkins or Next.
  • alleolala
    alleolala Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Incidentally - some clothing companies deliberately make larger clothes with a smaller size on the label, because it makes more people choose to buy there because they 'feel better' about 'being smaller'. So who knows what a clothing size is any more?!
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sizes are so skewed, I don't personally go by my clothes sizes.

When I was lighter, I was a 10 up top and a 12 down bottom in Primark, but in other places I was a 10, 12, 14, depending on the brand and the fit.

I'll be happy when I hit my goal and I fit into my old clothes, regardless of what size the label claims they are.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sizes vary. I can wear anything from a US 8-16 according to where I shop. I purchase things that fit and pay no attention to size. I just know I no longer have to shop in the Plus Size section.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Eh, I currently wear a U.S. Size 12-16...maybe even some 18s. It's all pretty arbitrary.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your body build makes a big difference with this. I had a friend in college who had a very low weight and body fat (she was around my height and weight so probably 5'6" 115ish lbs.) but her hip structure was wide and she needed size 9/11 pants because of it. I (at the same height/weight) wore size 5/6 but I have narrower hips.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whether the label says size 12 or size 3.1415, it either fits or it doesn't. Why does it matter what the label says?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How large your measurements are depends on your frame size, where you carry your extra fat and your overall body fat percentage. Two people at the same height and weight can look very different in the same article of clothing if one has larger hips and a smaller waist then the other.

I have everything in my closet from a US size 2 to a size 8 and they all fit to one degree or another. Sizes are completely arbitrary. Why is it men get their pants sizes in inches and women don't?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    alleolala wrote: »
    Incidentally - some clothing companies deliberately make larger clothes with a smaller size on the label, because it makes more people choose to buy there because they 'feel better' about 'being smaller'. So who knows what a clothing size is any more?!

Absolutely this.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    fatfox13 wrote: »
    I've got down to 8stone (112lbs) and I am still a UK size 12.....To me, that is pretty big. I know everyone is different but surely most 8stone women would wear a much smaller clothes size? I'm 5ft 4 and flat chested also! :/

I'm the same height as you and at 9st 7lbs I was a comfortable UK size 10 pretty much everywhere except Primark. My friend at the same height/weight was a 12-14. I think it depends on your body shape/type. I wouldn't stress about it. :)
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My mom was 99 pounds on her wedding day 45 years ago and she tells me she wore a normal size 12 back then. Today (she is 65) she is about 15 pounds heavier and wears a size 4. That shows you how sizes have changed over the years and how they don't really matter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are just a stupid number. They are not consistent even in the same brand. I read online reviews and people will often buy several of the exact same item and report that some are bigger or smaller than the others labeled the same size and bought at the same time.
    Does it fit you? Do you like the way it looks? The number doesn't matter.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The only reliable way to figure out if clothes will fit is empirical testing of individual cases.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Whether the label says size 12 or size 3.1415, it either fits or it doesn't. Why does it matter what the label says?

You must be male. :)

Because it makes shopping a heck of a lot of work!

I have the opposite issues from the OP--I seem to be wearing a much smaller size than anyone else at my weight. Eh, oh well.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options

I have the opposite issues from the OP--I seem to be wearing a much smaller size than anyone else at my weight. Eh, oh well.

Yep I have that same "issue", too. I like it, but it confuses me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Tell me you wouldn't still try on the clothes even if you thought you could believe the sizes were uniform. I dare you.
  • alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hate trying to shop of pants. I'm 5'0 and currently 155. I wear anything form a size 4-14 depending on brand and cut. I wish I could just go by my hip measurement like men do.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's all about your frame. I've dropped down a dress size in the past week but the scale has only budged by 1 lb. It is what it is. As long as I feel good and look good, that's what matters most. I know the weight will come off eventually.