Sugar-free foods that taste good? Suggestions welcome

Options
Ramberta
Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
Hi,

I am new to this site and community and have only been logging my food for a few days, but watching my totals go into the red every day on sugar, I'm realizing that my sweet tooth is much worse than I thought. I've always loved chocolate, but pretty much anything sugary will satisfy me. Ice cream, donuts, cake, cookies, candy bars, even sweetened Chex Mix or other types of things-- and that is the problem, of course. It is my sweet tooth that is pushing me over on calories, sugar, fat, and even sodium in some cases, and if I keep up like this I'm not going to get very far. However, cutting sweet things out of my diet isn't really an option for the long-term, because then I'm just going to binge when the cravings get too bad. I know myself and I know my habits, and while I can do moderation, I can't do "none" of a certain food, any food. I won't do well with that kind of limitation, so I'm looking for a substitution rather than taking it out entirely.

So, all you sweet-lovers out there, what suggestions of low- or no-sugar foods do you have that actually taste good and fulfill your cravings? I've been trying to eat more fresh fruit and that's helping a little, but I work in a grocery store and it gets really hard to resist fifty-cent candy bars and cheap chocolate. Chewing gum works for a while but just makes my jaw hurt after a couple days, I'm a very hard chewer. Really, what I'm looking for is things that still TASTE good, and that I can have a good portion of without feeling terribly guilty, but won't overload me on sugar and fat. (Too good to be true, right...? :< but at least it's worth a try!)

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions! :)

Replies

• Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    klondike 100 calorie ice cream sandwich

Taste just like the real thing. I don't know if its sugar free but it taste good and its a good size portion.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    These are the main ones I go with. These aren't necessarily low in sugar, but they are low in calories.

Tootsie Pops - Only 60 calories & they last a long time.
    Jello Pudding, sugar free - Tastes great. Also only 60 calories.
    Kettle Corn, Orville Reddenbacker's - Sweet, salty, & only 100 calories per bag.
    Quaker Mini Rice Cakes, Chocolate, Carmel - Sweet, & filling. 13=110 calories.
    Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream Bar - Tastes great, 100 Calories
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Jello Temptations with reddi whip!
    Sugar free fudgecicles!
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm in love with chocolate. This being said sugar free pudding doesn't have that "off" taste and is super yummy. I also like the Breyer's sugar free popsicles.
  • Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I feel like a fizzy drink, instead of getting a glass of cola. I get glass of soda water/carbonated water and add a low calorie cordial. You get the fizzy drink fix without the calories.
  • melissameans
    Options
    *skinny cow ice cream
    *definitely sugar-free chocolate pudding (just had some!)
    *and this sounds kind of weird...but when I am craving something sweet, I have started drinking a hot, flavored green tea. Right now I dig a mangosteen green tea. It seems to take the edge off, and the warmth of the tea is comforting. Might be worth a try... :drinker:

Cheers and good luck to you!
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    KaironAndTaviansMommy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with the sweet tooth, but I buy the 80 Calorie Dark Chocolate Raspberry Weight Watchers ice cream bars, or the 110 Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Weight Watchers Ice cream bars. I also like to get fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries only a serving size of each, put it into the zip lock bags and squish until nice and mushed up and pour it over a shortcake which is only 110 calories.. that is an awesome snack. You can also look at www.allrecipes.com and they have a healthy recipe section, try and find your favorites (brownies, cookies whatever) and make them healthies.

Good luck, and just keep trying it will get easier and better! I promise.

BreannaRush
  • laleata1299
    laleata1299 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley Granola Crisps - Dark Chocolate
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Fiber One chocolate bars are really good!

Lately I've been on a Cool Whip kick, I get the sugar free kind (or maybe it's the fat free kind, whichever one has the lower calories) and I eat it with fruit or cocoa powder mixed in. A few tablespoons is really satisfying, it's not like ice cream where I just want to eat a ton. One night I needed more protein and actually mixed in some walnuts and chocolate protein powder. It was kinda lumpy but strangely delicious!
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    *skinny cow ice cream
    *definitely sugar-free chocolate pudding (just had some!)
    *and this sounds kind of weird...but when I am craving something sweet, I have started drinking a hot, flavored green tea. Right now I dig a mangosteen green tea. It seems to take the edge off, and the warmth of the tea is comforting. Might be worth a try... :drinker:

Cheers and good luck to you!

This is sooo true for me too. Hot tea really cuts my cravings. I really like drinking it best around 5PM. I'm all over the skinny cow and pudding too!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    - sugar-free jello pudding (60 cal)
    - fiber one peanut butter bars (90 cal)
    - animal crackers!
    - pretzels
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions ^_^ I'll definitely be trying many of them!
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    I used to find that Ben and Jerry's frozen yoghurt was pretty good. I bought some of the Cherry Garcia one by mistake one week (thinking I was picking up the ice cream), and it was only when the pot was finished did I realise it had been the yoghurt... it's lovely, and a lot fewer calories.

I miss Ben and Jerry's since moving to New Zealand - haven't found it here...