Karate (Shotokan, Wado-Ryu, WKF type stuff)

Options
Hi Guys!

Haven't seen anything of this ilk on here before, so thought I would start a thread about Karate. Does anyone on here regularly practice Karate? If so...

What Style?:
How long have you trained for?:
Where do you train? (e.g. club, city, country):
How often do you train?:
What grade are you?:
Do you compete?:

One of the main reasons for hitting my weight loss/fitness goals is so that I can start Karate again, I was superfit and a half-decent competitor when I was a kid, and I really miss it :smile:

Replies

• PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I've been training Wado Ryu/Kai Karate for many years on and off. Been back at it for the last 14months and just trying to play catchup with my grades. Going for 4th kyu this Saturday, so looking forward to that.
    I'm not overly concerned with competition anymore, at 44 it becomes less a priority, rather learning more about why techniques are applied in Kata, Kihons etc.
    I'm not a big fan of where the WKF is taking karate, it's overly flamboyant, theatrical and non-traditional. Is karate in the Olympics a good thing? I don't think so, TKD was destroyed in its attempts to gain Olympic status and now is nothing more than theatrics in pads with only kicking and unrecognized from its original form. Were Karate to stay truer to its traditional roots, both in terms of kumite and kata, it wouldn't fit in with the Olympics watery expectations as too many people would get injured. So, while I like that Karate would get great coverage, it's just that it wouldn't be a true representation of traditional karate and that is a shame. Just my thoughts
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That's an inter
    I've been training Wado Ryu/Kai Karate for many years on and off. Been back at it for the last 14months and just trying to play catchup with my grades. Going for 4th kyu this Saturday, so looking forward to that.
    I'm not overly concerned with competition anymore, at 44 it becomes less a priority, rather learning more about why techniques are applied in Kata, Kihons etc.
    I'm not a big fan of where the WKF is taking karate, it's overly flamboyant, theatrical and non-traditional. Is karate in the Olympics a good thing? I don't think so, TKD was destroyed in its attempts to gain Olympic status and now is nothing more than theatrics in pads with only kicking and unrecognized from its original form. Were Karate to stay truer to its traditional roots, both in terms of kumite and kata, it wouldn't fit in with the Olympics watery expectations as too many people would get injured. So, while I like that Karate would get great coverage, it's just that it wouldn't be a true representation of traditional karate and that is a shame. Just my thoughts

I think you make some really interesting points regarding Karate in the Olympics. I would love to see it in there, if it wasn't watered down from WKF. Karate has evolved over many, many years and I think it'll be tough to stem the tide.

Although I sympathise with a lot of your viewpoints, I think anything that gets more and more people involved is a good thing.
  • whatyouwill
    Options

And good luck for Saturday!

• greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Why wait until you reach your goal weight? I was 230 pounds when I signed up for taekwondo. It was pretty rough initially, but my desire to improve my performance helped motivate my other workouts and helped me focus on keeping my eating under control.

I train twice (sometimes 3 times) per week. The school I attend is a more traditional WTF school. I know it's a lot different from karate, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about getting started right away and not waiting until you're in better shape. Worked for me.

:)
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There is a group you can check out, Martial Arts and Sport Fighting. While you can't search groups at this time, it's not too far down the list.

Also, another vote for not waiting. Nothing motivates you to get into better shape than getting beat on a couple times a week.

I practice Tang Soo Do. Just earned my red belt 2 weeks ago.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I practiced Shotokan karaté for 4 years, I was 3rd kyu. After I had my first son, I tried to continue but my dojo was 30 minutes away from my home (I lived close by when I started, then moved in with my husband whom I had met there and we continued practicing at that dojo). After the baby, it was hard to continue to go because I had to drive 1h for 1h of practice and one of us had to stay with baby so I didn't have my favorite partner anymore.

I miss it like crazy, but haven't found a dojo closer to my place that has the same traditional philosophy.

I hope to start again someday.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Guys!

Haven't seen anything of this ilk on here before, so thought I would start a thread about Karate. Does anyone on here regularly practice Karate? If so...

What Style?:
    How often do you train?:
    What grade are you?:
    Do you compete?:

One of the main reasons for hitting my weight loss/fitness goals is so that I can start Karate again, I was superfit and a half-decent competitor when I was a kid, and I really miss it :smile:

What Style?: Okinawan Goju-Ryu 剛柔流 空手道

How long have you trained for?: 21 years

Where do you train? (e.g. club, city, country): I train independently now. My original dojo closed down several years ago, so I bounced around to different dojos and continued my training with friends that I had made over the years. All of those schools have since went out of business and most of my friends have moved away. I just train for me and for the art now. I may pass it on to my children some day, but as of now, this is the path that I have chosen to follow.

How often do you train?: Daily

What grade are you?: Godan 五段

Do you compete?: Not for a long time. I was a big competitor when I was a teenager. I did enjoy it, but as I matured in the art - the need to "show off" completely went away and I have no desire to ever get back into competitive martial arts. The only thing I miss about it is the people. I really enjoyed being in a room full of other martial artists and I made a lot of friends through the competitions.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

What Style?: As a kid: Shotokan Karate, Wrestling As an adult: Muay Thai, Judo, Jiu Jitsu
    How long have you trained for?: As a kid: 9 years As an adult: a few months
    Where do you train? (e.g. club, city, country): SFS MMA in Mesquite, TX
    How often do you train?: I train in some fashion every day.
    What grade are you?: I have a 2nd dan black belt in Shotokan karate and a white belt in Jiu Jitsu. There are no belts in wrestling or Muay Thai
    Do you compete?: I am training for competition but haven't competed since I was 14

I switched from training traditional arts because I realized that they aren't anywhere as effective as Muay Thai and BJJ which is why we don't see more of them in MMA. I have also found that training for MMA is a better workout than what a lot of traditional karate studios offer (not all of them of course, but most). I also was so sick of practicing katas. I'll be happy if I never have to practice another kata!

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My father is a Shotokan and Jiu-jitsu instructor. I've trained on and off in his dojo for the last 40+ years, since I was 5. I actually haven't been in a few years since it's a 45 minute drive from home and I'm both working and going to school. I did compete nationally in Shotokan when I was in my 20s, but not since then.

I have to agree with the others who said "Why wait?" I was in the best shape of my life when I was training several hours a day, 5 days each week.
  • whatyouwill
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the support guys - I am tempted to start again immediately but I guess just concerned psychologically, from a self-conscious point of view. I will do my best to gee myself up for joining as soon as I can though!
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to stop you from training at home. In the case of Karate its like getting back on the bike, it all comes back to you. Just practice the moves as best you recall them, working on the stances, punches, kicks etc until you get to a dojo and take proper classes and instruction. There are plenty of resources on the internet to assist you with your chosen art.
    MMA is definitely good for fitness and an interesting sport to watch over 15 - 25 minutes. It's not for me though as I don't see the point in getting hit repeatedly and unnecessarily until one of us falls over or is submitted. To each their own however and I have the utmost respect for anyone who puts themselves through the mill for the sport.
  • billyhig
    billyhig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!

What Style?:
    How often do you train?:
    What grade are you?:
    Do you compete?:

• billyhig
    billyhig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Style - shotokan
    Training for 38 years
    Teach 2/3 classes per week
    6th dan
    I used to compete, I now referee

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm just here wondering what a guy in England is doing drinking a Brooklyn Lager and wearing a Mets cap??
  • whatyouwill
    Options
    i'm just here wondering what a guy in England is doing drinking a Brooklyn Lager and wearing a Mets cap??

Haha fair point. My brother lives in the States, so I visited last year.
  • PaulStead2
    PaulStead2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I train in Hapkido but I used to do Taekwondo many years ago. I am a yellow belt and have been training for nearly 2 years but I have an injury and it has restricted me a bit. I train at Kinetic Martial Arts in Sydney Australia 2-3 day a week and I have never competed.