workout clothes

Options
ok i'm in the market to get some new clothes, geared toward not looking like the frump in old holey tshirts at the gym...

so what are the best brands u guys have tried for making sure u don't have sweat soaked cotton sticking to ya all totally uncomfortable & stuff?

also ...LADIES... favorite underwear brands... cuz cotton breifs SUX for a hard workout... and also... best sports bra? cuz i'm tired of the bounce during zumba... LOL!!

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I honestly get everything at Wal-Mart. Cheap. I sweat A LOT when I work out so I don't want to pay a bunch just to have it all smelly and gross (and I have to wash it a lot). They have a pretty good selection of sports-bras, and I like a good amount of support (even though I'm quite small there), and I usually go with cotton briefs or bikini cut, they breathe more than anything synthetic. I just want something that will allow a good amount of movement and breathe (and not look horrible either, lol). A pocket is nice, too, to put my ipod in when I'm not doing a class.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My favorite workout shirts are Puma Women's Performance Cat Tank. I like Soffee running shorts for bottoms. I don't have too much up top, so I just wear cotton Hanes sports bras for working out mostly.
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I finally had to go ahead and pay for an expensive sports bra from Macy's. I cant remember the brand name but they dont have a great variety of sports bras at Macy's so it would be easy to find. Mine latches in the back like a regular bra. I have not found a good pullover bra yet, they all have to much "give," resulting in the additional unwanted bouncing. The sports bras at WalMart are no good for me, but their other athletic wear can be cute and affordable. Best wishes to you.
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    I right now don't have alot of active wear but when I get money I will be going to Walmart to get them since I don't want to pay much since the clothes aren't for me to look good in, they are just from me to get through my workout. Until you hit your goal weight would I suggest buying more expensive active wear.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I bought an Underarmor sports bra that has pretty much changed my life! Before I'd just had those pull over things that only successfully make you look like you're sporting a speed bump but don't actually keep anything from bouncing!

The one I bought zips up the front and has the racer back styling. It was on sale so I got if for about $40 but it was so worth it! When shopping for them just make sure you take note of the tags. They should tell you whether they're low, medium, high or very high impact. Some of them will even say what sport they're good for. I also highly recommend trying them on and jumping around in the dressing room just to make sure things are going to stay put. I went to a local Sports Authority store for mine and they had a much bigger selection to choose from! Find an actual sporting goods store that has a large fitness clothing section and try a few styles on.

For clothing I prefer the quick drying materials. Cotton tanks just leave me all wet and sweaty but then when you cool off they're icy cold! The quick dry materials actually do dry very quickly and there is not shock when your cold wet shirt touches your skin! I do taekwondo at a studio and don't change until I get home so you can see why this would be important to me. :) I've picked up quick dry tank tops for as low as $6 on clearance (again at Sports Authority) but I know that Target sells some for $10 regular pricing. They aren't the super fancy brands but they work well and I can buy more of them at that price so I don't have to wear the same stinky shirt over and over again.

I also like working out in quick dry yoga pants. I tend to sweat a lot (especially in the crotch!) so a nice dark color that dries quickly is perfect. Don't want to walk around looking like I've wet my pants!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Love love love the yoga pants from Target...Champion brand I believe. They're great for working out in and not ugly to wear in public!!!
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice so far.. def got a few ideas going now...
  • MeaggyTheGreaty
    MeaggyTheGreaty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Neither are cheap but I love Lululemon and Lucy. Lululemon in particular has built in bras in their workout tops that actually WORK.
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a big bust, so a friend recommended the Enell sports bra. She said she read that that's what they use on the Biggest Loser for those with big busts, and what she personally uses.

I'm also looking for workout clothes, but find it daunting that there's nothing in my size! Granted, I'm on the larger end of plus sized stuff, but seriously, if you want bigger people to be more active, manufacturers and clothing retailers should make and carry those bigger sizes. For now I've been using the Walmart danskin pants and these other pants I found at Target, and just whatever tshirts I have. But I'd love to buy something pretty, functional, and designed for fitness. Oh well...
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have an odd bra size (small band, big cup) so my favorite Sports Bra is Freya. Surprisingly, I have VS sports bra I like (usually they don't make my size there - but I was desperate so I bought a cup size down and it works). Enell is great I hear - but they don't make my band size (at least not that I've found).

For general workout clothes, I really like Target and the Champion brand (especially their yoga pant style capris - straight leg). I also like the bigger tanks they have at Gap Body - they are more flowy so I don't feel as constricted and don't feel like it's sticking to me when I sweat. Underarmour also has a fantastic summer line Coolmax that I would suggest for tops (never tried their bottoms). When I'm walking/jogging, I like the jogging skirts from Sportskirts.com.