Rowing and Running

Options
I've been running for 3-4 years and recently started rowing ..(1 week ago) --- anyone else rowing on a regular basis ... I've been through youtube and researched the sport -- just curious on times and stuff ---

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I tend to do more rowing in the winter time, when it's rather less enjoyable to be outside for workouts. I generally just do one of the preset 2000m or 5000m courses and get on with my day.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    regular rower who just started serious running too.
    conceptc2.com is a superb resource.
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks ... I'll check it out .. I actually row on the machine at the gym, i'm not sure what brand it is
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Its most likely a concept2 as they are pretty standard the other possibility is a water rower, with the comfy seat and the swishy water (like the one in House of Cards). I have a couple of nice friendly ergers on my list. Its my main from of cardio and i have gone from couch potato to not a couch potato, so can give you some decent feedback on the experience. Its a shame there arent more rowers on these forums, its a fantastic bit of all body exercise, interesting, challenging and dull at the same time.

The average time on the rower in my gym is between 2.5 - 5 minutes. Just back from the gym now and going back to row some more later. Music and sunshine makes it so much nicer. Am trying to master zoning out then opening my eyes and seeing the clock having progressed a lot.

rgeres also an elite rower knocking around somewhere, as well as an mfper who rows and posts her times and distances on the exercise for today on a regular basis.
  • faithgirlfl
    Options
    It's a "matrix" ... at least that's what it said on the side of the machine ..lol
    I'm doing 10min a day and it's so tough to get past the 6 min mark ... but I am rowing 1500 meters in that 10min ... so I am in progressing!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Most of the equipment is matrix at my gym. Concept is the dominant brand, but am sure the matrix is perfectly fine. There are 2 aspects either row for a fixed time, in which case the distance you get during that time will vary or row a fixed distance in which case your times become important. Either is fine.

Your first few weeks should be spent on technique till you are comfortable. Technique will help you row safely, lessen the chance of injury aches and pains. It will also let you row more efficiently thus you will go faster or further.

Dont compare yourself against others, its just about you finding your feet at the moment. Do record your times and please sick with it , as it can be good fun as well as helping your fitness and burning a reasonable amount of calories.

I record the following

Distance
    Time
    Pace (thats the time over 500m)
    Calories
    Watts

Please look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai64EEexI0I
  • ChubbyCyclist
    ChubbyCyclist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have only rowed a few times, but I actually enjoy it, so I'm going joining the chat to get tips, tricks and times :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Erging at the gym is to rowing what the treadmill is to running!

It's still a pretty good workout however. The video posted above is a pretty good reminder for technique--it should be smooth and purposeful and not at all spastic (though I see that at the gym all of the time). Checking in with a trainer (if your gym has good ones) wouldn't hurt.

I will use the rower for ~15 minutes when I do use it--I'll usually combine that with a 20 minute stairclimbing workout to make the trip to the gym worth my while. Our gym has televisions set up near the rowers--I try to zone out watching those to make the time go more quickly. Alternately, our rowers have a performance monitor--I'll watch that to make sure that my strokes are consistent in strength and duration and that I maintain a consistent pace.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love the row machine!
    As already said, get your stroke form right and you'll get a full body workout combining cardio and resistance.
    So no looping the handle over your knees or pulling up to the chin!
  • faithgirlfl
    Options
    thx guys ....i'm really enjoying it so far! And there are only 2 machines at my gym and i'm surprised there's not more people using them ...