Trying to get my girl into fitness help please

Options
I'm trying so hard to convince my girl to get back into fitness , I'm worried about her health.... She is also worried but she can't seem to find that motivation to continue .or start... Any suggestions on what I should tell her or do ? She has tried many times but given up , ... She wants to lose weight so bad and I want her to be happy with her body once again

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    There's really nothing you can do to make her start. When she's finally motivated, she will on her own.
  • kayleygrav
    kayleygrav Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Honestly she had to do it for herself. You pushing her may to my be making her avoid it more. Give her some time. I was overweight at one point and the last thing I waned was someone to tell me I need to get fit. But watch out when I was ready
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if she wants it that badly, she'll find her own motivation. you cant make her.

yes, offer to go for a walk/gym/swimming/etc with her, yes make good choices and lead by example, but you cant do it for her.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If she wants it bad enough, she'll do it on her own. There's nothing you can do or say to help get her started.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Inspire her to want to do it for herself, don't push her or try to convince her. Show by example. Focus on your own health and she will most likely follow suit.
  • ophiure
    ophiure Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said already. Invite her for walks/whatever you enjoy doing, but make it a low-pressure situation. She will only change if she wants to.

I decided to take charge of my health because I wanted to. I started running even though I absolutely hated it in elementary school. Why? I think it's because teachers made me do it. Why is it less terrible now? Simply because I'm choosing to do it.

(Yes, I realize I'm being incredibly contrary, but it's my personality ;) I don't like being told what to do)
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If she's looking for motivation, maybe direct her to the Success Stories on this site. It sure helps me when I'm in a slump! Maybe seeing how many people have done it, she'll find the confidence to get started. Motivation is usually a very personal thing though, so if and when she gets it, just support her. Leading by example is great too!
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The next time b she mentions she wants to go the gym with you, I'd ask what exactly she'd be interested in doing. If she is more interested in cardio vs weights, she's probably more likely to go if you suggest focusing on that, at least at the beginning.
    I personally think drop in classes at the gym are perfect for people who want to get into working out, but don't want to feel like they're standing out in the weight room.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    ophiure wrote: »
    What everyone else said already. Invite her for walks/whatever you enjoy doing, but make it a low-pressure situation. She will only change if she wants to.

I decided to take charge of my health because I wanted to. I started running even though I absolutely hated it in elementary school. Why? I think it's because teachers made me do it. Why is it less terrible now? Simply because I'm choosing to do it.

(Yes, I realize I'm being incredibly contrary, but it's my personality ;) I don't like being told what to do)

+1
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Like so many other posters have said, she needs to come to that decision on her own.

That being said, you can invite her for walks or to play catch and things like that.

Also be the example. Change your diet to be healthier. Go out and get active. Maybe seeing you more energetic and healthier will show her the benefits and show her that it is possible. If you're not willing to cut back on unhealthy foods and become more active than you really have no business telling her to do it.
  • marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lady's thank you all for the great advice, I really do appreciate it and will do exactly what you guys recommend

• marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    She may be worried that she can't keep up with you. I didn't walk for the longest time with my husband because he walked faster than me and I felt bad that I was holding him back. Therefore, I didn't do a lot of exercise. I had to decide myself to do something that would help improve my health, and taking walking for my physed credit made me actually do it. Now, we can walk together and I'm much more likely to go further when walking with him.

It's much easier to go on a diet/get into exercise with someone, especially if that someone is the SO. If you walk faster than her, slow your speed to hers for a while, then slowly increase. Make dinner each night that you both like, which is much easier to make healthy than just eating out. Make changes WITH her, and she'll be more likely to get into things.