Why am I gaining weight?

Options
Every morning I weigh myself, I see an increase by 0.2-0.4 pounds. I've gradually gained one pound this week and the number keeps increasing. I eat 1600 calories a day and do at least 30 min of exercise daily. I use a food scale for everything that enters my mouth, so I can't be eating more than I think. It's making me crazy thinking about it and it's quite discouraging. A year ago, I was easily losing weight eating this much, and I ended up below my goal weight. Now, it's a struggle just to maintain my weight. Help?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If this has only been going on for a week, I wouldn't worry about it. It is more than likely water weight that will come back off. A lot of things can cause this: TOM, increased sodium intake, a change in your workout routine, a dip or increase in your water intake. Just be patient and keep doing what you're doing. :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss isn't linear. Sodium intake, new exercise, TOM/ovulation, they can all cause us to retain water that masks loss, as well as extra food in our system that hasn't been fully digested yet. If it's something that truly bothers you, then you may be better off weighing only once a week, because fluctuations will always happen.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Water weight changes are going to make the scale fluctuate all over the place. The numbers you are going to see are going to be a downward trend, made up of lots of little up and down spikes. Best to just weigh yourself once per week if it is going to make you too upset. The only time you should get really worried is if you see it stall for 2 weeks or more. At that point, you want to adjust your calories by -100 per week until the number finally starts to drop again. Once it starts to drop again, stay at that calorie level until it stalls again, then repeat the -100 calorie calibration.

Patience is key!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Step off the scale and use a measuring tape. See if your are losing any inches/cm. As malibu926 has said sodium, which is high in a lot of foods processed foods are a killer, sauces, cheese and the list goes on. These ask cause you to retain water, and yes even a good work out your body will want to hold onto water. Remember water weights 10 lbs/ gal there are 4 litres in a US gal.