Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I await those said studies....
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Tania212 wrote: »
    @ Snow3y: please open a biology book. It is physically impossible to spot reduce without liposuction. Hormones that trigger the reaction in our bodies to turn stored fat into energy are dispersed to every fat cell simultaneously, regardless of it's location in the body. The girls you know have only appeared to stop reduce because the muscle in their legs have grown and become "toned" due to their continuous use, and their fat cells are distributed in such a way where they are more concentrated in the upper portions of their bodies.

Snow3y wrote: »
    I'm kind of against people who say spot reduction can't take place.. Simply because I know of 3 girls personally, who haven't necessarily followed diets, but go on the bicycle for many hours in a week. This has made them retain their 'muffin top' stomachs, and somewhat 'flab' on arms, but have beautifully worked legs which look as if they're meant to be on a skinny girl...

Anecdotal 'evidence' doesn't carry much weight around here. Actual scientific studies have shown targeted fat loss to be a myth, It's entirely possible that all three of those women are genetically built to carry less weight in their legs causing weight to come off that area first. Meanwhile the cycling may well have resulted in a small muscle gain in the legs resulting in a more 'toned' look.

@Snow3y 's observations were also seen in this study among cyclists doing HIIT
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18197184

The effects of high-intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss and fasting insulin levels of young women.
    Trapp EG1, Chisholm DJ, Freund J, Boutcher SH.
    Author information
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:

To determine the effects of a 15-week high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) program on subcutaneous and trunk fat and insulin resistance of young women.
    DESIGN AND PROCEDURES:

Subjects were randomly assigned to one of the three groups: HIIE (n=15), steady-state exercise (SSE; n=15) or control (CONT; n=15). HIIE and SSE groups underwent a 15-week exercise intervention.
    SUBJECTS:

Forty-five women with a mean BMI of 23.2+/-2.0 kg m(-2) and age of 20.2+/-2.0 years.
    RESULTS:

Both exercise groups demonstrated a significant improvement (P<0.05) in cardiovascular fitness. However, only the HIIE group had a significant reduction in total body mass (TBM), fat mass (FM), trunk fat and fasting plasma insulin levels. There was significant fat loss (P<0.05) in legs compared to arms in the HIIE group only. Lean compared to overweight women lost less fat after HIIE. Decreases in leptin concentrations were negatively correlated with increases in VO(2peak) (r=-0.57, P<0.05) and positively correlated with decreases in TBM (r=0.47; P<0.0001). There was no significant change in adiponectin levels after training.
    CONCLUSIONS:

HIIE three times per week for 15 weeks compared to the same frequency of SSE exercise was associated with significant reductions in total body fat, subcutaneous leg and trunk fat, and insulin resistance in young women.

I'm not sure if this was lost on everyone here, but the OP is actually a 19-year-old male.

• Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats actually make your thighs bigger, but more toned. If you want smaller thighs and care nothing about how toned you are, either lose more weight or get lipo!

Can somebody please tell me, is this true?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    Lunges and squats actually make your thighs bigger, but more toned. If you want smaller thighs and care nothing about how toned you are, either lose more weight or get lipo!

nope
  • bigbootycutey
    bigbootycutey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that you may have lost more inches from your thighs than you think. Areas which retain more fat -- like thighs, bellies etc -- can continue to shrink after you lose weight as the stretched skin shrinks back into place.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

nope

Thank you, rabbitjb - I was hoping a seasoned "vet" on their successful fitness journey, such as you, would answer! I needed "real" verification. Gotta admit, that post freaked me out, because these types of exercises are basic to every fitness program I've heard of.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

nope

Thank you, rabbitjb - I was hoping a seasoned "vet" on their successful fitness journey, such as you, would answer! I needed "real" verification. Gotta admit, that post freaked me out, because these types of exercises are basic to every fitness program I've heard of.

Because they're a great exercise. I personally can't have a decent leg day without them.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Heavy progressive compound lifting ...squats, lunges and walking more

funny all I do is lift weights and I've lost 5+ inches off each thigh in 2.5 years going from a size 14/16 to currently a size 2 but whatever. lol

Fat loss will happen over time and sometimes the stomach hips thighs and butt are the last to go. Just keep going. Lift heavy...you would hate to have skinny but wobbly cellulite filled thighs right? Because that is what is going to happen if you do not strength train.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    abductor, adductor and donkey kicks.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of against people who say spot reduction can't take place.. Simply because I know of 3 girls personally, who haven't necessarily followed diets, but go on the bicycle for many hours in a week. This has made them retain their 'muffin top' stomachs, and somewhat 'flab' on arms, but have beautifully worked legs which look as if they're meant to be on a skinny girl...

I agree,...'Outdoor' Cycling (not Gym Bikes) does seem to improve muscle tone in the Legs.
    I've been hearing this for Years!
    I better go buy a Bike. Lol

Why would only "real" bikes train your legs?
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Photographic evidence in my photos here that says this is FALSE. I am not a special snowflake. My legs got smaller with only weights no cardio and a caloric deficit. My whole body got smaller.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    abductor, adductor and donkey kicks.

These were part of my workout routine this morning before work, urloved!
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, but losing weight from your entire body and doing exercises that isolate your quads/glutes/hamstrings may help. also, if you're focused on your thighs, it's unlikely that you'll be able to see the progress you're making because you have such a negative view of your legs
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    Photographic evidence in my photos here that says this is FALSE. I am not a special snowflake. My legs got smaller with only weights no cardio and a caloric deficit. My whole body got smaller.

WOW, just wow, sarahlifts! Those pics are amazing - you have an absolutely beautiful body. That really does prove that what that person said is definitely not true.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Yeah, surgery/ Liposuction is the only way to remove fat cells permanently. So if you plan on staying at your new found weight forever maybe that's an option. BUT, if you start gaining again for any reason, your genetics will likely replace those removed fat cells right back on those same places.
    I think I'd rather tone and not worry about size. I have big legs and tighs too and I love them! Be proud of your body, a woman's body is so beautiful.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yeah, surgery/ Liposuction is the only way to remove fat cells permanently. So if you plan on staying at your new found weight forever maybe that's an option. BUT, if you start gaining again for any reason, your genetics will likely replace those removed fat cells right back on those same places.
    I think I'd rather tone and not worry about size. I have big legs and tighs too and I love them! Be proud of your body, a woman's body is so beautiful.

But I will also say, that even when my weight had stalled after bigger losses, I've continued to lose inches through strength training. Muscle weight is about a 3rd the size of fat weight, so it makes sense that it's visually smaller.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I agree,...'Outdoor' Cycling (not Gym Bikes) does seem to improve muscle tone in the Legs.
    I've been hearing this for Years!
    I better go buy a Bike. Lol

Why would only "real" bikes train your legs?

Because the varying ground surfaces a cyclist is exposed to when outdoors, can provide a much more intense workout than being on a Stationary Bike.
    Outside, the bike isn’t rigid -- it moves slightly from side to side, helping you synchronize the rhythm between your lower and upper body.
    You develop balance while biking outdoors, especially when transitioning in and out of the saddle, climbing hills, cornering and riding technical off-road terrain.
    So basically, you're Legs are doing more work when cycling outside.
    When i used to go on the Stationary Bike at the Gym, i saw no improvement to my Legs (after many months). :/
    It wasn't bad for burning calories, but the Rowing Machine was a better option for burning calories (for me, at that time).
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maybe someone like @cwolfman13 can offer some input (Re: Outdoor Biking).
    I believe he does a lot of Cycling.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    @Snow3y 's observations were also seen in this study among cyclists doing HIIT
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18197184

Both exercise groups demonstrated a significant improvement (P<0.05) in cardiovascular fitness. However, only the HIIE group had a significant reduction in total body mass (TBM), fat mass (FM), trunk fat and fasting plasma insulin levels. There was significant fat loss (P<0.05) in legs compared to arms in the HIIE group only. Lean compared to overweight women lost less fat after HIIE.

That could be explained by the higher overall fat lost in the HIIE group, not by the type of exercise. To prove spot reduction, a study would have to compare 2 groups in an equal calorie deficit. ;)