Help Cutting

Options
I haven't worked out in a deficit in a couple months. I'm coming off of a bulk and suddenly struggling without all of that extra carb energy.

Tips? Advice? Is the answer just, "Yes, strength training is much more difficult in a deficit?"

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Perhaps consider dropping some volume but maintaining the intensity?

Getting enough rest/recovery time? I find recovery is impacted first which then impacts on performance.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How are you defining volume vs. intensity?

Like, fewer reps or sets but the same weight?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting as heavy/intensely as you can (even if this is less than when in a bulk). Don't bother using higher volume to burn more cals etc. Try to keep it as heavy as possible in a decent rep range (6-12). Keep your protein as high as when you were on the bulk. Maybe consider light cardio (walking) to give you extra cals to eat more carbs. Consider cheat days to keep spirits up and refuel the body. I have been slow bulking for about a year and a half (200lbs/15% body fat currently) and have never tried to cut. However, this is roughly what I plan to do as well as Intermitent Fasting (which I currently do).
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    I've heard a few people mention the slow bulk/permabulk thing. What's that look like for you, personally? What kind of surplus are you running and what kind of gain per week are you shooting for? Quarter pound? Less?

I've actually upped my protein just a bit, maybe from .8 to .9 grams/lb. I go for a quick walk at lunch most days and I've increased that to make room for more calories.

I'm definitely going to need to work in carb refeeds, especially after seeing how critically important they were during the bulk. Carbs I mean; there was no reason for a refeed since they were plentiful.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few people mention the slow bulk/permabulk thing. What's that look like for you, personally? What kind of surplus are you running and what kind of gain per week are you shooting for? Quarter pound? Less?
    [/b]
    I've actually upped my protein just a bit, maybe from .8 to .9 grams/lb. I go for a quick walk at lunch most days and I've increased that to make room for more calories.

I'm definitely going to need to work in carb refeeds, especially after seeing how critically important they were during the bulk. Carbs I mean; there was no reason for a refeed since they were plentiful.

For me personally, In a year and a half I have gone from 165lbs to 200lbs (6Ft tall) and have maintained 15% bodyfat. I have been consciously eating about 250-500 cals a day surplus (roughly 3200 cals a day) whilst lifting 4-5 times a week. From what I can tell, I have just put on muscle (I actually look like I lift now lol), and still have reasonable abs (don't look fat). I've pretty much gone from skinny fat to something I'm fairly happy with and find easy to maintain. I'm happy to sit at maintenance and continue to lift, but I am definitely considering doing a slow cut at some stage.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Effectively yes - less sets but same intensity. It's more the intensity that gives the muscle stimulus and the volume that just adds to the fatigue. If you do accessory lifts they would be my first choice ones to drop IMO.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Effectively yes - less sets but same intensity. It's more the intensity that gives the muscle stimulus and the volume that just adds to the fatigue. If you do accessory lifts they would be my first choice ones to drop IMO.

That happened kind of as a matter of course. I like to do 100 pushups in as few sets as possible when I can't make it to the gym as part of a bodyweight routine. Usually I finish it with some token curls. Yesterday the curls just weren't going to happen.