Dizziness when standing quickly...

Options
Has anyone experienced dizziness when standing up too quickly? It's been happening to me a lot lately and I almost passed out today. I'm trying to figure out if it's diet related or something else.

Thanks

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Could be serious or nothing. Happens to me when I'm dehydrated or need food (preferably a carb or sugar, fruit does it!). Give that a try. If it doesn't work, to the Dr!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced dizziness when standing up too quickly? It's been happening to me a lot lately and I almost passed out today. I'm trying to figure out if it's diet related or something else.

Thanks
    See your doctor.

Most common reasons (when people call 911 for this) that I have seen: drop in blood pressure (orthostatic hypotension) and low blood sugar.

Other reason that are less common but certainly possible: cardiac arrythmias which can be really dangerous if not corrected (a-fib, svt, abnormal beats, etc).

See your doctor.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you're eating adequately for your activity level, see a doctor. It could be anything that has already been listed, and more. When I was experiencing orthostatic hypotension last year, it was due to anemia and lazy nutrition.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it happens to me due to low blood pressure if I am not hydrated enough...

Have you had your bp checked lately?
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    could be sodium deficiency, are you doing low carb?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor or call the nurse line.

I have low BP and it happens frequently, along with seeing stars.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It sounds like orthostatic hypotension since it happens when you stand up quickly.

However, it could be a number of other things… low blood sugar, dehydration, and certain cardiac conditions. You should always call your doctor when experiencing dizziness and almost fainting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Yup, happens to me when my anemia is untreated. I get my levels checked yearly and take iron supplements. Iron comes in many forms and several of them did not work for me. I take Iron Bisglycinate these days.

Do go to your doctor to see what's going on with you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When was your last physical?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I get a bit dizzy when I'm hungry and low on iron...and I'm usually low on iron.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Orthostatic Hypotension.

I've had it for years, and mine has nothing at all to do with diet / blood sugar.
  • TheAnayalator
    TheAnayalator Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So currently my blood pressure is 114/66 so I don't think that's low. I do have hypothyroidism but I just got that checked a week ago so it's normal. When I had my physical 6 months ago everything came back normal. Although I have become a new vegan last month. My carb intake is actually pretty high so I'm not sure what's wrong.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I get like this when my vertigo flares up. Blooming annoying it is too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I get this quite a bit at the gym on positional changes

I put it down to age and fluid in my ear thickening

suppose I should get it checked
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »
    So currently my blood pressure is 114/66 so I don't think that's low. I do have hypothyroidism but I just got that checked a week ago so it's normal. When I had my physical 6 months ago everything came back normal. Although I have become a new vegan last month. My carb intake is actually pretty high so I'm not sure what's wrong.

If you are vegan now, you should be on a number of supplements. You are most likely low in iron and B12.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on and off. I talked to my doctor about it and he chalked it up to either hormones or my slight anemia. Maybe if you're newly vegan you need to get more iron?