low carb ??? anyone try this before

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    marcosdt10 wrote: »
    Hello , has anyone tried low carbing ?? If so how long have you done it for and does this method burn fat a lot faster ? I'm trying to get abs but don't want to lose my muscle gains too I might consider trying this but I then again I don't want to risk it.... Please someone share their experience in this post thank you
    I tried it for a month and didn't like it. I had no energy and found it quite hard to stay on. There were exercises that I couldn't do because I was so worn down and tired. I'm sure it affects everyone differently, but it definitely didn't work for me. Best of luck to you!

Were you eating all the vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds as you should?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hello , has anyone tried low carbing ?? If so how long have you done it for and does this method burn fat a lot faster ? I'm trying to get abs but don't want to lose my muscle gains too I might consider trying this but I then again I don't want to risk it.... Please someone share their experience in this post thank you
    I tried it for a month and didn't like it. I had no energy and found it quite hard to stay on. There were exercises that I couldn't do because I was so worn down and tired. I'm sure it affects everyone differently, but it definitely didn't work for me. Best of luck to you!

The same can be said for me that I tried and was lethargic etc...Yes I was eating a crap tonne of food. Veggies, fruits and lots of protein and fats...still lethargic, tired, almost fainted while doing zumba...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

The same can be said for me that I tried and was lethargic etc...Yes I was eating a crap tonne of food. Veggies, fruits and lots of protein and fats...still lethargic, tired, almost fainted while doing zumba...

Wow. I didn't have that experience AT ALL. I felt a tad "off" for a few days, then settled in fine. Fainting during zumba is no bueno.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like it and do well on it, but I'm Insulin Resistant and have a lot of dietary restrictions, so higher carb or even SAD recommendations don't work for me.

I don't usually go totally crazy, though- I vary carb counts a lot but my net can be anywhere from 30-70 g, depending on the day or exercise. I've done as high as 100 g and those are usually heavy exercise days. It's been lower lately because I've scaled down on exercise.

I'm also lucky in that I don't even LIKE foods like pizza, pasta, rice (etc.) because it causes bloating and stomach pain and did even when I was severely overweight. I do like desserts, but I've been able to find creative ways to cut the carb count on those, so it's not so bad. You just have to find what works for you. I've lost a total of about 139 lbs on it and have 21 left to get to my goal.
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up
  • marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm a try this low carving for 2 weeks to experiment and see what happens... I hate the feeling of being sluggish but if it helps reach my goal then why not lol thank you

All 2 weeks will do is let you feel the symptoms of transitioning to lc, especially if you're not going to be vigilant about the steps to counter act those symptoms, with none of the benefits of it. It takes most people up to a month to be adapted. That FAQ I suggested at the beginning will tell you the best ways to use LC for a cut, but no matter how you plan to do it, a 2 week cut isn't really going to help you, regardless of the method.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Damn really so we talking months here ?

One month for a younger active bloke to get you aligned to a different balance of fuels.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am eating a reduced carb diet in order to treat T2Dm. I am eating a max of 180 g of carbs per day per my doctor's orders which averages out to about 35% of my calories. I get enough carbs for energy but I am rarely hungry. I also get to treat myself on occasion to things like beer, cookies, cake, donuts, bread, etc. and still stay within my macros. I was able to get my a1c into a normal range and get off the meds within 10 months of diagnosis by doing this.

If you are not sure about low carb and assuming you have no medical issues, why not try reducing your carbs a little and see how you feel? Many people find that higher fat and protein keeps them satisfied longer so switching out a few carbs for those may help. Play around with different macro percentages to find what is best for you. I found my sweet spot at 35% carb, 35% protein, and 30% fat.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy

Your body doesn't need carbs eh?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I tried no carbs and couldn't stand it. The sweets cravings were over the top! I was never a sweets person before no carb. I went to low carb and that was just "ok", it helped with weight loss but I still had some sweets cravings just not as bad. These days I am very low carb and get almost all carbs from veggies. I eat over 50% protein on most days... that works for me. No cravings and feeling full/satisfied. Still able to lose/maintain weight and gain muscle.
  • marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Didn't expect this much feedback , thank you all again, I decided not to stick to low carbing... I'm a stick to the calorie deficit technique .... Its been working very well.so far ! If lost 26 pounds and counting..... Hope to get the chizzled body I have always wanted !! Again thank you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just be prepared that to get abs its all about body composition. And for many it can take years of hard training to get them. I would read the sticky or a few of them to give you some knowledge of how to get them.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Snow3y wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

You liver will make glucose from non carb food. It is called gluconeogenesis. Therefore, you do not need to eat carbohydrates. Human physiology. Great book by Guyton--he goes into it all.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

You liver will make glucose from non carb food. It is called gluconeogenesis. Therefore, you do not need to eat carbohydrates. Human physiology. Great book by Guyton--he goes into it all.

Yup, that is why the Inuit evolved larger livers and a gene mutation to never enter ketosis
  • Kyla_Nicole
    Kyla_Nicole Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have cut out only bread and have seen a big difference in the way I feel as well as finally starting to see some pounds come off. I don't cut out fruit, I just don't eat fruit all day - generally just at breakfast or preworkout :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    pedidiva wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Yup, that is why the Inuit evolved larger livers and a gene mutation to never enter ketosis

And a lifespan 12-15 years shorter than the average Canadian supposedly

Although source was wiki and I didn't dig further so I wouldn't bet my firstborn on it
This discussion has been closed.