Bagels for breakfast...

Options
Good or bad choice?

Replies

• LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you put on it and also if carbs affect you or not!!

I have PCOS so if I had a bagel I might as well be eating a bowl of ice cream with syrup as both the ice cream and the bagel will play hell with my insulin and affect my weight loss.....
    If you don't have an issue with carbs and you count the calories for the bagel and the toppings then I'm sure it would be fine if that's what you fancy and it fills you up!
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like them but note the word like, not read as 'need'. My Cardiologist who is my Dr. of Weights, says they are so dense they have a lot of calories and the carbs may make you hungry. She says an english muffin is a better choice. I think the bagel is ok, just not every day like I was doing. I try to have it only a few days a week. You might compromise and just have a half a bagel instead of the whole thing. Any help? Hope so.

Dan
  • KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am off to see my Doctor tomorrow as I want to lose this weight the right way... I thoroughly enjoyed the bagel but it was potentially a pretty awful choice :embarassed:
  • thisishowwepray
    Options
    No food is really "bad" as long as you count the calories and stick to your goals for the day most days. But I know that, for me, a regular bagel will not fill me up as much as the same 300-ish calories of a mix of fruit, whole grains, and protein. I do eat whole grain bagels sometimes, with a protein-rich topping.
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    There are far better options. Bagels have a lot of simple carbs and not highly nutritional calories. One of my favorite easy breakfasts is a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with 3/4 of a cup of frozen blueberries mixed in and a couple of tablespoons of ground flax seed. Less than 300 calories and it's delicious, healthy and quick to throw together.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    How is a bagel a bad choice? depends on who you are and what you're goals are, it's a bad choice for "some people." A dr is just going to put you on a low carb diet... What you mean you want to lose weight the "right way" is there a wrong way? Whatever anyone says about any diet, I can promise you 100% i can find something completely unhealthy about it.
  • KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    I give up!
  • beeruin
    beeruin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love me some bagel, but i find it's just not worth the calorie deficit when dieting. Another option to help your bagel fix is the Western Alternatve bagel (found at most grocery stores). High fiber, has more protein and less calories than a regular bagel. toast it up and you are good to go without giving up your morning bagel.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I think they have way too many calories and carbs. You can get whole wheat, high fiber english muffins that are much healthier. Most people hear "bagel" and assume they are healthy.
  • Bardot86
    Bardot86 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yeah i reckon there is a wrong way, like meal replacement shakes.. people who just try and starve themselves.

As long as you have a balanced diet and work out regular you'll see your weight decrease. And dont feel guilty about the occasional treat. If you ban treats alltogether you'll go nuts and fail.

The above advice from a qualified fitness coach and nutrionalist. Not just some randomer with an opinion.

Hope this helps x
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yummy as they are, they're rather carb and cal heavy :mad:

What about, if it's the taste and texture that you want, have half a bagel with a poached egg or something else that will keep you going, and either have the other half later in the day or for breakfast the next day?

I was shocked when I saw how many cals are in them when I looked a little while ago! Mind you, what is your daily allowance? If it's quite high and it leaves you enough to eat properly the rest of the day I'd say go for it, just not every single day! :smile:
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You could use bagel thins. They are around 100 calories so you could still add some protein and have a reasonable breakfast.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    You could use bagel thins. They are around 100 calories so you could still add some protein and have a reasonable breakfast.
    These work great if you are Diabetic and watching your carbs. They would be 1.5 starch exchanges. I eat this with scrambled egg whites and salsa and two slice of center cut bacon. It's actually a very low fat and calorie breakfast and quite filling to keep you going. I eat it before I hit the gym.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Contrary to a lot of opinions here, there is nothing wrong with a bagel for breakfast, provided you pick the right type of bagel and accompaniments. Even if you're insulin resistant (like me), you could still have a bagel, as long as it's a high fibre, wholegrain, preferably seeded bagel, and if you match it with something low in carbs, like low fat cream cheese and salmon, you'll lower the overall GI index of the meal, which means the sugars from the bagel will be released slowly into your bloodstream. Also, as it's high in fibre, you'd be fuller for longer. Avoid the white, doughy, shiny super processed bagels though (even if they claim to be "diet bagels' like the Weight Watchers ones), they're not good for you, and their carbs will take a direct hit on your blood sugar levels, leaving you in a post-carb slump. However, I wouldn't advise eating any type of bagel if your cal allowance is very low, as, regardless of how nutritionally sound it may be, a wholewheat bagel, with accompaniments, is probably going to be around a third of your daily allowance.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    I have some Thomas 100% whole wheat bagel thins..they are 110 cals, 1 gr fat, 24 carbs and 3 gr sugar. Not to bad!!! I like to use Brummel and Brown spread with them!! I just plan the rest of my meals around it when I have them.

Good Luck!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I have some Thomas 100% whole wheat bagel thins..they are 110 cals, 1 gr fat, 24 carbs and 3 gr sugar. Not to bad!!! I like to use Brummel and Brown spread with them!! I just plan the rest of my meals around it when I have them.

Good Luck!
    oh I like those ones. Lots of seeds in the everything bagels. And I have sugar free boysenberry jam to put over on them. yum yum.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I would say half a bagel, or one of those mini bagels (and make it mutli grain or whole wheat) wouldn't be too bad of an option if you ate it with some eggs and fruit to make a complete meal. Just a giant bagel and cream cheese, not such a well rounded or nutritious meal, imo.
  • k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love bagels especially covered in a bit of peanut butter after a morning run. Helps repair muscles to after exercise. WIN-WIN :-)
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I give up!

I absolutly LOVE bagels!! Blueberry, or cinnamon raisin swirl... OMG, they're some of my favorites! (I even love the savory ones with jalapeno cheddar cheese!)

BUT... I do not endulge on them... because of their high calorie & carb count, unless I'm going to be running long distance. So I do enjoy them on occasion, but it's only when I NEED the calories, and my body will benefit from them. :)

So, don't give up, simply enjoy responsibly! :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have an Asiago Cheese Bagel just about every morning. :heart: