SO FRUSTRATED!

Options

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Perhaps not eating back your exercise calories could be the problem? Dunno, just throwing ideas out there.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I drink the Ideal shake too I love it. I have mine for breakfast and then I eat 4-5 small meals after that. Like some said before your calorie count may not be accurate so you may be eating over the calories you think you are. Sometimes I have my shake twice a day like have it at breakfast and lunch and I would eat a mid morning snack and afternoon snack then dinner and maybe an evening snack. I try to stick between 1200-1400 cal. I have a lot more weight to lose than you and I measure and weigh everything even if its prepackaged like yogurt.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    krickie3 wrote: »
    Well I'm fretting because I've just started something new and cut out a significant amount of calories. I am pretty meticulous with my counting so I'm fairly certain that I am not overestimating my intake and it doesn't matter what I burn because I never eat those extra calories anyway. I am just so done with the weight LOSS process and want it to be done already! But I'm afraid that I won't ever be able to eat what an average person my size can in order to maintain their weight. I'm afraid that I will have to eat 1200 a day for the rest of my life and that STINKS!

I understand the being done thing, but as its a lifesyle change then you are going to have to be mindful from now on anyway.

If you pass the not eating more than you think, fine.

I would say again just be patient and see. Maybe even go to maintenance for a few weeks to give yourself an rest. Ten days still isnt enough and fretting doesnt get you anywhere , it just eats away from you hence I try and avoid it. Youve come this far, you know how it works, other people have lost and unless you are some sort of scientific curiosity then the same principles apply to you. The last bit of weight is just stubborn as many people will attest to.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Great loss. But you are not fat anymore. And you're not a midget. There is no reason, in my mind, that you should be consuming 1000 cals a day MINUS exercise cals.

That is way too low. Dangerously low.

How much more do you need to lose?

If you are on your last few pounds, you should be eating MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to maintenance and learning what eating normally is like.

I think your doctor is an idiot.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Open your diary

This and maybe those who look can see things that you cannot.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm having the same issues! I just started a thread pretty similar to yours, yesterday. IDK if you can search for it but its under "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" it's called: "I Think I Need to Eat More...Expert Advice Needed."
    The sad part is although I learned a lot from that thread, I actually concluded I may actually need to eat less, to get to my goal weight but I'm still trying to figure that out!
    I too am afraid I will never get to eat like a normal human being again! :'(
    Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Doesnt look like you are using scales though. If you arent losing but you arent controlling your deficit accurately then its much easier to believe you are in deficit, when in fact you are at maintenabce= avoidable frustration
  • katkorab
    katkorab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Way too few calories. I always plateau when I am burning a significant more than my intake. Weekends for me are the worst because I am running around and forget to eat. Losing weight is not as simple as calories in and calories out. Your metabolism is in shock and your body is going into "reserve mode". Throw away the shakes. You have to EAT MORE.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So, if you're eating so low and you're not losing weight, what could it hurt to up your calories a little? The worst thing, the absolutely worst thing that could happen is you gain a little weight. That happens go back to what you're doing now. I'm wondering if your body isn't just compensating for that dramatic 8 lb loss you had. The Eat more to weigh less thing actually works, seriously. But, you're experienced in this, you know it takes time. Just my opinion. Don't be hard on yourself; you've done awesome!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post. In the last 2 years I have lost 75 pounds and am too at 150 with a goal of 135. I have been at 150 since January however in January I was a size 8 and now I'm a size 6. I also log daily and weigh my foods. My MFP is set at .5 per week and I go up a few pounds and then down. I eat back half my exercise calories and don't really feel like I'm dieting though.

I'm trying my best to get out of the goal weight mindset. Maybe 150 is my ideal weight. Others have said no one but you sees the scale number and that's true and hits home for me. I have never seen a person and thought, wow, she looks great, she must weight 135. It doesn't happen. I see someone fit and happy and I think, wow, she worked hard and it shows.

I'm not giving up, I'm changing my mindset. My goals are fitness related not so much scale related.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been losing and gaining those same 5-8 lbs. since the end of 2014. I was only 2.5lbs. from goal when this started, and it became really obvious to me that I could not (probably ever) consume more than 1400 calories a day, even if I burned a lot of them with walking/jogging, and still lose weight. My advice is to stick with the plan, and give it another couple of weeks. If you're really only consuming 10k calories, you *will* eventually see the pounds come off. Also - keep your sodium intake in mind. It can pack on 2-3 lbs. of water overnight. At least, it can for me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I've been losing and gaining those same 5-8 lbs. since the end of 2014. I was only 2.5lbs. from goal when this started, and it became really obvious to me that I could not (probably ever) consume more than 1400 calories a day, even if I burned a lot of them with walking/jogging, and still lose weight. My advice is to stick with the plan, and give it another couple of weeks. If you're really only consuming 10k calories, you *will* eventually see the pounds come off. Also - keep your sodium intake in mind. It can pack on 2-3 lbs. of water overnight. At least, it can for me.

This is maintenance! :smile:

My "goal" weight is 165 pounds (I'm 6'1").

On Tuesday morning I was 167.2; on Wednesday morning, I was 171.4; this morning I was 164.4 (stomach flu).

Goal weight has to be an acceptable range.
    Overall I'm happy with my body - whether it's 171 or 165. It doesn't look that different - and certainly not to anyone else around me.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Open your diary

Using measuring cups and or serving sizes can give you hundreds of not logged calories.
    When you start off you dont notice this....you have lots to lose your deficit is big enough

But when your deficit get smaller and smaller ( because you lose weight) and you get closer to your goal/healthy weight range..it slows down.
    you lose less and you have to be very accurate with weighing your food on a scale to maintain that deficit.

So measuring cups and serving sizes can throw off your accuracy

Here a short video about how much difference it can be for only 2 kind of foods we all use ( almost daily) and make hundreds of difference between using a cup or a food scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I think that maybe in your case you eat more than you think because you said you are using measuring cups....your deficit is too small without you knowing it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing you are not in a deficit, use a food scale on ALL solid foods and ONLY use measuring cups/spoons for liquids!! Make sure you are accurate with diary, you know those secret little bites they add up. Watch the video, it will open your eyes!!

• krickie3
    krickie3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I PROMISE you I am NOT miscalculating my calories. And just for the sake of argument, even if I was, it couldn't possibly be by more than a couple hundred calories which would still put me at consuming around 1200 calories plus burning calories during exercise that I don't consume. So even if I was wrong (I'm not!) I still should be in a deficit. I should have several hundred calories to play with and still be in a deficit.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you're absolutely confident you are in a deficit, and still not losing over an extended period (I would say 8 weeks or more), I would suggest visiting your doctor for a blood workup, including TSH as well as Free T3 and Free T4 to check that your thyroid is functioning well.

Note in this chart that the lab will only indicate low or high ranges as abnormal, but that doesn't mean that your levels are optimal..

trtquhfhhtbq.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    krickie3 wrote: »
    Oh my gosh. I PROMISE you I am NOT miscalculating my calories. And just for the sake of argument, even if I was, it couldn't possibly be by more than a couple hundred calories which would still put me at consuming around 1200 calories plus burning calories during exercise that I don't consume. So even if I was wrong (I'm not!) I still should be in a deficit. I should have several hundred calories to play with and still be in a deficit.

But you wont open your diary?
  • krickie3
    Options
    I do appreciate all the advice. To answer a few questions, I have 15 pounds to lose still. It was my Obgyn who recommended the shakes. She did say that she would do blood work when I go back in three months if I'm still not losing. Someone mentioned not worrying so much about the number on the scale but more about how I look and feel, and I understand that. It might be a mindset that I'm going to have to change. I've been fluctuating between 150-158 for about 8 months now and it just seems like no matter what I do my body just doesn't want to be any lower than that. I just don't want to accept it. I also don't want to accept that 1400 calories is going to be my maintenance intake. I can do whatever it takes in the short term in order to get the weight off, but I cannot imagine staying that low forever. MFP gives me like 1700 for maintenance. That sounds a lot better, but I know from experience that I will gain weight if I eat that much.
  • krickie3
    Options
    :'(