Making your food diary public - does it help?

helenr32
helenr32 Posts: 15
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
I'm kind of having a difficult week - lots of social events involving food and, even worse, nibbles. Once I start - don't seem to stop!!! However, I'm wondering whether making my food diary public will help - maybe - wouldn't have consumed quite so many crisps yesterday if I knew people could see?! What works for other people - should I take the plunge?

Replies

• purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    I share my diary with friends and I think it does help. It gives you ideas on what to have and what not to have. I don't lie, if I've had 2 chocolate bars I put it down! There's not point doing this if you're going to cheat because the only person you're really cheating is yourself! :wink:
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    I feel having a public diary makes you more accountable and may help you not eat as much bad stuff. Depends how many heckler type friends you may have on your MFP list :D
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    I share it with my friends. They are honest to take a look at it and tell me when I stray off. I also learn alot from what others eat. And I know I see other friends starting to eat what I eat. It's a great resource for one another if used properly.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    My diary is public and although I am not sure anyone is looking - it does make me a bit more accountable.
    I always look at other people's diaries though! I like to get some ideas!
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    I love looking at other people's diaries for meal ideas so it'd be rude not to share my own!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Try it and see! You can always make it private again if it doesn't work, or makes you feel uncomfortable etc

I made mine totally public and it doesn't bother me - I don't do it for accountability, although I appreciate comments made by my mfp friends, I do it in case I need to ask a question on the forums and someone might be able to answer it better if they can see what I've eaten.

But I know and appreciate that some people prefer to keep theirs public just to their friends or even totally private. Whatever works!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    My diary is public and I do keep in the back of my mind that if I eat a big bunch of rubbish that someone else might see it.
    I think this works for me because I've always been someone to binge in private, so this feels like I'm coming out in the open. I haven't had any problems with unsolicited nasty comments on my diary, but if you are concerned about this you could make it open to friends only.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    My diary is friends only. I've never had anybody outrightedly criticise what I eat, partially because keeping my diary open means that I rarely eat rubbish, it helps me stay accountable and I'd like to think it gives my friends ideas - I take my food very seriously XD However, I would not keep it fully open, I don't want unsolicited advice from people who do not know my diet / medical conditions / what works for me. I love that some of my friends have open diaries, so I can see what they're doing and how it corresponds with their great losses! I also find that those with the best losses often have open diaries anyway :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I think it's weird letting strangers see every little thing you eat, but that's just me. I've been doing just fine keeping myself accountable. If you think it'd help you stay accountable with a public diary, though, I say go for it.
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    My diary is shared with my friends, and I think it definitely helps keep me accountable.
  • pdxscarlett
    pdxscarlett Posts: 30 Member
    I share with my friends but I have had a few haters when I had it public. When I first started MFP especially. I slipped up a lot and it got to the point where I would not log everything because I was embarrassed and eventually quit using it all together. I like having it open to friends though. It helps me stay on track and if they know what I'm eating they can answer questions easier when I have them. If I get a friend who is "disgusted" by that fact that I ate a piece of chocolate cake etc, I can delete them. Making more room for encouraging words. ;0)

~s
  • mrssparkle
    mrssparkle Posts: 47
    Friends can access mine. It helps all round; you get constructive comments and I also thinks it stops you going overboard. You have to be truthful with yourself though. No good having a binge day and not logging it because you are worried what others think.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    I wonder about this too. I currently keep my diary private. I don't know why I am so apprehensive about releasing it, I don't eat rubbish and am under my calorie goals most days. It's a weird feeling, kind of like letting a stranger come into your kitchen and rummage around in your fridge and cabinets!
  • helenr32
    helenr32 Posts: 15
    Yup - you've all helped me make a decision! I'm going to make it public to friends on here. I usually eat really healthily and so I don't have anything to hide, but I think the embarrassment of putting on the details of overeating might just be the final nudge I need to keep my hands out of that crisp bowl!
    Thanks everyone!
    :happy:
This discussion has been closed.