Sweet potato

Options
OysterKat
OysterKat Posts: 47 Member
Hi I've never made sweet potatoes before and especially never on a grill and i want to make them tonight. What's the best way to make them and what do I add? Trying not to throw some marshmallows on them lol. Thank you!!!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like them with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. When I turn them, I sprinkle a little fresh thyme on. A smidge of goat cheese melted over isn't a bad thing either.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i just peel, dice up, put on tinfoil with a bit of spray & salt/pepper ~ 15 minutes or so? Depending on your grill
  • Tshay5
    Tshay5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will bake mine like a potato in the oven then. cut in half and sprinkle with some cinnamon
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping tonight and I'm gonna wrap mine in tinfoil and throw it in the fire to bake it. I'm so excited to try this. I love baked sweet potatoes with a little butter and brown sugar.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I dice them, roast in oven, and sprinkle with cinnamon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually bake them just like I would a Russet. I've never had marshmallows on them...that sounds...disgusting...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I usually bake them just like I would a Russet. I've never had marshmallows on them...that sounds...disgusting...

That's how we ate them growing up: with brown sugar, maple syrup and tiny marshmallows (and raisins and walnuts).

Now I bake them and add butter and salt and pepper. :smile:
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    And I thought this was a thread of affection.

Bake 'em.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like them with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. When I turn them, I sprinkle a little fresh thyme on. A smidge of goat cheese melted over isn't a bad thing either.
    That sounds lovely!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It is disgusting. Do you bake them on the grill? If so, how do you keep the ouside from burning before the inside is done?
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them up into little matchsticks, drizzle with olive oil, a ton of taco seasoning, then bake them at for 30-40 minutes. The taco seasoning makes them spicy and unbelievably yummy.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like mine roasted or mashed and made into sweet potato cakes.
  • mustikas6
    mustikas6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »

Do you have a recipe for that? I mean for the sweet potato cake?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When the oven is anyway on, I bake a bunch. You can even freeze the extas and mash with pear or applesauce if you like them sweet.

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Oh, that's what I should have done. I rarely make sweet potatoes because no one else likes them in my house. I baked one last week, scooped it out and added just a (relative) touch each of butter, brown sugar, salt, and crispy thick cut bacon, then I decided it needed something creamy so I added a dollop of plain greek yogurt. Not good. The yogurt overpowered everything and just didn't make sense, so I was trying to figure out how to improve it next time. Goat cheese...I think would have been just right. Note to self.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's how we ate them growing up: with brown sugar, maple syrup and tiny marshmallows (and raisins and walnuts).

Now I bake them and add butter and salt and pepper. :smile:

Hmmm....I actually didn't know that was a thing people really did. When I was a kid we only really ate them on Thanksgiving and my mom always mashed them...I wonder if it's because I never liked marshmallows so she never bothered to cook them that way. She brings roasted ones over now, but they're roasted with chipotle chiles and I think honey...something sweet anyway.

I've never understood marshmallows...I had one camping when I was a kid once and I just threw it into the fire...never liked it.

It is disgusting. Do you bake them on the grill? If so, how do you keep the ouside from burning before the inside is done?

I've never baked them on the grill but I would imagine you could...but you would want to do it over indirect heat (i.e. no flames touching it). Just turn one side of the grill on and get it to about 400* and put the sweet potatoes on the other side of the grill with no flame.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    mustikas6 wrote: »
    mistikal13 wrote: »

Do you have a recipe for that? I mean for the sweet potato cake?

Boil and mash two medium sweet potatoes. Add 1/2 tsp each salt and cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/3 cup all purpose flour, and 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt. Mix well and form into patties. Pan fry in 2tbsp oil of your choice. If you are not a fan of the spices I use, just sub the cinnamon and ginger for whatever you like. Enjoy!
  • StuDuza
    StuDuza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I buy a microwavable little bag. They are 5 small potatoes and take 9 minutes in the microwave. I throw a little butter one and eat. Easy & delish!
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like mine pretty simple - cube or chop into fries, spray with fry light and bake with salt, pepper and rosemary.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Oven baked and filled with turkey chili! Or topped with goat cheese indeed. Sweet potato fries are great too though I can never get mine crispy.