Shin splints

Options
toriraeh
toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
So, I have an issue with shin splints. I've had them since I did Insanity in 2013. They didn't bother me much until this year when I started running (embarrassingly short distances very slowly).

When they really started becoming an issue, I went to my doctor and she basically said to take ibuprofen before I run and to ice my legs after. I did that for several weeks and it actually got worse.

Then, I took about four weeks off from running and recently started up again, following her advice of ibuprofen and ice. Shin splints are back and still having a pretty big impact.

I have good shoes, I'm about 25lbs overweight currently, and I had my husband (who is military, an avid runner, and well trained to spot stuff like this) look at my form and he says that it's pretty good. I also make it a point to either run on a treadmill with a slight incline or on a soft track. None of these things seem to matter.

Is it time to go back to my doc or is there something I'm missing? It seems like everyone can run just fine but me.

Replies

• tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They subside with time and conditioning. Take it slow and stop when the pain starts. You will be able to go a little longer each time. Training past the pain is counter productive.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion.

The one thing that helps me if I feel a tinge is short and quick strides. It may feel awkward at first.

You can march heel to toe or walk on your heels to build strength in front. Simple calf lifts can help build strength in gastrocnemius too. Take it slow--build your strength--over time.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    See this video on shin splints by a doctor/runner:
    runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away
    If you suspect a stress fracture, you might need an orthopedist or sports doctor.
    toriraeh wrote: »
    I had my husband (who is military, an avid runner, and well trained to spot stuff like this) look at my form and he says that it's pretty good.

I'm sure your husband is a very smart person, but unless he's studied kinesiology extensively, he's likely to miss things on a gait analysis. A sports medicine clinic or sports physical therapist are better choices. :+1:
  • toriraeh
    Options
    That's a great video! Thanks! I appreciate all the advice. Hopefully I can fix this. Running has been something I've wanted to do for a long time. I don't want to give up now.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had issues when I was going too fast or too far. You have to increase very very gradually. If I do a long run, I have to take at least two days off or I will start to get shin splints. I only increase my runs by 10% per week.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also, if it hurts don't run on it!! You can get a stress fracture and you will be in serious trouble. Cross train more instead of running super often. I love to run but our bodies have to take time to get used to it. Also, losing more weight helped a lot, but then it seems to help everything a lot.
  • toriraeh
    Options
    Yeah. I've taken it very slow. I started out going a mile a day. Jogging for as long as I could and walking the rest. Then a little longer as the weeks progressed. Now I CAN run 5k but it just depends on my legs whether I can or not. I'm still not running the whole time, just a few minutes at a time with walking breaks but I have definitely not pushed too hard... Except maybe pushing through the pain. I just figured that it would get easier I guess.
  • rez2012
    rez2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How's your dorsiflexion? A lack of dorsiflexion in your ankles will throw off your biomechanics and cause your legs to endure more stress. Look into dorsiflexion stretches and strengthening.
  • priscillabecho
    priscillabecho Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As long as they're not training shoes youre running in ...or Nike Shox. I learned the hard way. :|
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have had a life long battle with shin splints. What has worked for me is good calf stretches, toes up on the wall heel on the ground, before and after runs.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Having "good shoes" might not be "right shoes". Were you properly fitted and did you have your stride evaluated? I had shin splints for years and years. Once I was properly assessed and fitted, I never had them again. Any good quality running store should be able to offer you this service.

Good luck!
  • toriraeh
    Options
    I did get fitted and have my gait analyzed at a shoe store specifically for runners. I liked my last pair a whole lot more but I've had shin splints since before I got those. The shin pain didn't worsen when I changed shoes. It also didn't improve.

I probably need to stretch more. Not that I don't, just probably not enough. I do dynamic stretching before but I should probably extend that into a couple minutes instead of just maybe one minute and I do five minute cool down walk with some stretching after. I really need to buy a foam roller, I think.

Thanks everyone!
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I get them bad as well, I have been staying hydrated and stretch my shins/ankles and calfs for 30 mins before running and it helps a ton.
  • MsMojo_13
    MsMojo_13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Warming up will also help. I'm a long time runner and I've learned through trial and error also. Getting good shoes was an awesome start. Runner's World has a lot of really good information about this common problem, so good job looking there. I didn't look at the video, but ice is also helpful. Ice your shins after a run (ice reduces inflammation). Lastly, be careful that you're not running too fast. That's a common issue for new runners because they are ALL gunners. They want to take off because it just feels SO good. I lead a community group of new runners. We do 9 weeks of C25K (Couch Potato to 5K) and I give them tips and information to help them prepare for their first race. One of the things that I always remind them is to start slow to go fast. Even the more fit newbies (like you sound to be). Your speed will increase, but you have to build it up slowly. When we start out, I tell them to run at a pace that they would to cross the street at the store when someone is allowing you to cross. One last piece of advice. Jeff Galloway's Beginning Running books helped me tremendously. He's a big proponent of the walk/run method. I don't follow that part (although I walk without guilt if my body tells me to), but he gives great advice on posture, pacing, breathing, etc. Good Luck! Please feel free to inbox me if you have other questions. If I don't know the answer, I'll help you find one.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You might have "good shoes" but they may not be the right shoes for you. I had MASSIVE shin issues when I was running a year or so ago. I stopped running because the pain was so bad. This year I decided to re-start running again doing C25K with a different shoe and I have not had any issues yet (knock on wood). I have now completed the C25K program and am running 30 min, 3x per week. I also take ibuprofen about 10-30 min before running and I find that is really helpful for me. You can also try to invest in some calf sleeves either to run in or to put on after your run for recovery. It also helps to work on the flexibility of your calves. I like down-dog for that. It's a really good stretch!

Good luck with your running. I hope it becomes less painful for you!