Swimming

Have recently signed up to a membership with my local leisure centre which include pool, gym and classes. Started swimming, done the gym stuff before and never stuck to it, just looking for some tips for swimming? I'm not a fantastic swimmer but I can swim and know some techniques, usually front crawl or breast stroke I use. Any advice is welcomed and friends :) Thank you x

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's not a great fat burner.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

Please elaborate.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member

250 to 280 calories for me in an hour
    With less afford and chances for injuries.

Plus very relaxing i must say.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Swimming is a great full-body workout. Swim. Add some intensity to your workouts.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    I love swimming! Try different ways to swim. Try swimming farther...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015

Well, considering it burns more calories per hour than running and works more muscles than any individual exercise it is definitely a fat burner, and a strengthening exercise at the same time.

char_rahc wrote: »
    Have recently signed up to a membership with my local leisure centre which include pool, gym and classes. Started swimming, done the gym stuff before and never stuck to it, just looking for some tips for swimming? I'm not a fantastic swimmer but I can swim and know some techniques, usually front crawl or breast stroke I use. Any advice is welcomed and friends :) Thank you x

Set a goal and work towards it so you can keep improving your speed. I started by setting a time (in my case an hour) and tried to get more and more laps in that hour. When I was close to being able to get a mile in that hour, I started working towards getting my mile in faster and faster.

If it has been a long time since you swam, you might want to purchase a session or two with a swimming instructor to have your technique analyzed and possibly improved.

• kshama2001
    char - I love to swim but unfortunately cannot tolerate chlorine and there are no saline pools around me. My first swim of the year could be this weekend and I am very excited about that. I lose weight faster with regular swimming than with any other exercise.

I alternate strokes - crawl, which I can't do for very long, backstroke, which is medium, and breast stroke, which I can do forever. I'm essentially doing some interval training this way.

If you get bored there are probably kick boards or flippers you can use to add some variety. The kickboard is also good if you need to rest your arms. When I have a gym membership, I lift weights to strengthen my arms for swimming (and yoga.)

I have goggles and ear plugs. To protect your hair from the chlorine, my hair dresser recommends showering first and putting on leave-in conditioner.
  • rachelecosse
    rachelecosse Posts: 19 Member
    If you plan to swim lengths regularly, it gets old reaaaaallllll fast, so maybe treat yourself to an underwater MP3 player. Mine was £50 from Sony, and is the only reason I have managed to go swimming four times a week all year without dying of boredom.
  • earlnabby
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have goggles and ear plugs. To protect your hair from the chlorine, my hair dresser recommends showering first and putting on leave-in conditioner.

Make sure you do this under your swim cap. Most pools will not allow you in the pool with stuff on your hair.

• TeresaMarie2015
    TeresaMarie2015 Posts: 61 Member
    I was recently restricted to either swimming, biking, or elliptical by my dr - because of foot problems. I have never liked swimming - but I probably should admit that I don't like being seen in a swimsuit so that's probably most of the issue :( Well I've dropped almost 55 pounds this year - and I bought a swimsuit. Let's see if I take the plunge!
  • earlnabby
    If you plan to swim lengths regularly, it gets old reaaaaallllll fast, so maybe treat yourself to an underwater MP3 player. Mine was £50 from Sony, and is the only reason I have managed to go swimming four times a week all year without dying of boredom.

I have a waterproof IPod shuffle that I use. I finally figured out how to set it so it doesn't shuffle and now I will listen to audiobooks while swimming.

• deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Actually swimming can be a great fat-burning, interval workout. The principles are no different than any other HIIT. Swim as fast and hard as you can for a minute or two, rest for 30 seconds (if you really need to catch your breath, 60 seconds). Repeat.
  • earlnabby
    I was recently restricted to either swimming, biking, or elliptical by my dr - because of foot problems. I have never liked swimming - but I probably should admit that I don't like being seen in a swimsuit so that's probably most of the issue :( Well I've dropped almost 55 pounds this year - and I bought a swimsuit. Let's see if I take the plunge!

YAY! Good job. The hardest thing I ever had to do was stuff my fat body into a swimsuit to go to a water aerobics class (the only exercise I could do at the time). Just remember that, when you go to a lap pool, everyone there is running around in shiny lycra wearing condoms on their heads. They are not going there to look cool and you will not stand out.

• kshama2001

Ya, if I plan to swim longer than 30 minutes I use one. The ones I've tried are a little fussy. What brand do you use?

I have this now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043CUQU0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Got this for a lot less than current list price but it died after a year or two, which may not be a bad lifecycle for these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T8H582?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • earlnabby
    This is the one I have: http://smile.amazon.com/Generation-Waterproof-AudioFlood-Headphones-Included/dp/B009QSK6PQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434056281&sr=1-4&keywords=audioflood+waterproof+ipod+shuffle It is a little pricier but so worth it. I especially like the really short cord for the earphones. I clip the IPod on the back of my swim cap and the cords are completely out of the way.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    There's been some pretty good advice so far but I'll add try to go with someone else, that way you can encourage each other to do one more lap than before.

I'd alao suggest going for an aquafit class if it's include in your membership, they are quite fun of you get a good instructor and not just for old people.
  • kshama2001

I lost 40# at the pool at my YMCA wearing a hideous bathing suit from Walmart. I wanted straps that crossed my back and that was the only thing I could find in 6 stores.

• kshama2001
    edited June 2015
    [double post]

• earlnabby
    edited June 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I lost 40# at the pool at my YMCA wearing a hideous bathing suit from Walmart. I wanted straps that crossed my back and that was the only thing I could find in 6 stores.

I have been buying chlorine resistant swimwear from Swimsuits For All.com or Swim and Sweat.com