How effective is an AM workout?

ladougg
ladougg Posts: 13 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I've read that the best time of day to do cardio is in the morning. As I understand it, your metabolism gets revved up and your metabolism is running at a higher level than no AM workout. Further it is my understanding that PM workouts are less effective because you don't get your metabolism really revved up until the evening. And within a few hours of that, you go to sleep which brings metabolism back down. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, are there any quantifiable numbers to support this? (Meaning is it 2% more effective or 80% more effective?)

Replies

• ladougg
    ladougg Posts: 13 Member
    I've read that the best time of day to do cardio is in the morning. As I understand it, your metabolism gets revved up and your metabolism is running at a higher level than no AM workout. Further it is my understanding that PM workouts are less effective because you don't get your metabolism really revved up until the evening. And within a few hours of that, you go to sleep which brings metabolism back down. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, are there any quantifiable numbers to support this? (Meaning is it 2% more effective or 80% more effective?)
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    I'm not sure which is better. I work out in the mornings, generally, because I know I'll get it done rather than have excuses at the end of the day. I have noticed, though, that in the mornings I'm much less flexible and don't work out as hard as I do in the evenings. I do notice that I have energy all day, however.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I love early a.m workouts! My most favorite of all for the reasons you mentioned!:wink: I can get incredible energy after my morning work out...it does keep my metabolism revved up all day...great way to begin any day with lots of energy. It's also great for keeping everyone's blood sugars leveled out so you don't get dips in low energy/hunger. You continue to burn fat when doing strength training early as well...thought I don't know if that changes if you do it at night?

I myself have taken evening classes but I'm unable to settle down to go to bed before like 3-4 am. :laugh: :blushing: :bigsmile: But my house is pretty darn clean! :drinker:

I find I have far to much energy to do an evening class even before the class..then after working out the energy is astounding.

I know some folks don't have a choice in what workout times they can do....and I myself do like to jump around and try out new varieties of things which I've been doing lately but it's back to early mornings for me Tues. bright and early at 5a.m.:yawn:

FC:heart:
  • I usually work out it the evenings. I think of it as burning off most of the calories I ate that day.
  • Quick question: How many calories to do you have burn to loose a pound and keep it off?
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    3500 calories = 1 pound
  • The research I've seen has to do more with how high sugar meals impact glucose, thus preventing rapid increases in blood glucose levels. A study done at Syracuse University showed weight training (in the morning) reduced the effect of a high-sugar meal on blood glucose by 15 percent (the only figure I can present you...sorry). The effect lasts for more than 12 hours. Aerobic exercise can have the same effect. The theory is by preventing blood glucose levels from rising too quickily, you reduce the amount of insulin released (insulin triggers fat storage).

Not sure if this helps, but somewhat interesting material.
  • 3500 calories = 1 pound
    That is a LOT to burn off.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    I think the most effective time is the time you are going to commit to and keep doing it. Mornings aren't going to be effective if you aren't going to get up every morning and do it. Find the time that works for you and then stick with it.
    That said, I like mornings. If I don't get my exercise in first thing then it does not happen. Life has a way of getting in the way of it.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I don't think it really matters. A calorie burned is a calorie burned regardless of the time of day and whatever increased metabolism continues after your workout will be there rather you're working or sitting at home watching tv. The more important thing is: when do you want to work out. and what works for you and your life? If you're forcing yourself into a routine that isn't a fit, you're more likely to quit. I personally am not a morning person and I find it just too complicated to work out and then get ready for work at the gym in the mornings. I prefer to head to the gym right after work. One of my best friends is exactly the opposite. She loves the mornings but hates going to the gym in the evenings. We've given up trying to be gym buddies. It just doesn't work.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    I agree with the response above mine. A calorie is a calorie and people need to workout when its best for them. I don't think there's any scientific data out there that suggests you burn more calories or rev your metabolism more by working out in the morning.

For me, I really hate working out first thing in the morning. I had to this morning because of my schedule, and I felt so dehydrated, hungry, and did not have as much energy to do my workout. When I do this workout in the afternoon, I'm way more hydrated and can really put in an intense workout - and I sweat a whole lot more.

For others, morning works great and that's awesome for them.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    3500 calories = 1 pound
    That is a LOT to burn off.

I know what you mean.

I prefer to look at it from the point of view that a 3500 calorie DEFICIT equals a loss of 1 lb of fat.

Exercise for fitness: eat less to lose weight.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I've just recently started working out in the am (Power 90) and so far I love the idea that my workout is done. I used to be a lunch time worker outer (?) and it was pretty easy let other things get in the way.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Any time is effective if you ask me. I think it is good to change it up too. Our bodies get use to what we do everyday switching it up can sometimes show better results. In my opinion....:wink:

Alisha
  • I feel dumb for asking this question, but I didn't realize it until I looked at my exercise data.
    Can you only loose weight if you do cardio (like walking)? And strength training just tones you up?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    no. if you stick with your calorie deficit then you will lose weight. I exercise to feel strong and powerful! I love the feeling of a good sweat.....and then someone asking me if I 'work out'

When you build muscle it is good for your bones, it helps to burn MORE calories and just makes you feel HOT!:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    La Douuuug! HI!!!

I can only tell you my own research.

I went to the gym 6 mornings in a row. Burned 350 cals, used weights 2 days, cardio the rest for 45 minutes. I lost 2 pounds that week.

I then worked out in the evening doing the exact same workout and lost 1 pound.

Now there are many variables in this I am sure. But I ate the same food, calories and fats and lost 1 less pound.

I tend to agree with the morning workout lighting the fires and keeping them stoked for the daytime.

Of course....ask me when I work out! I just cant workout in the morning. So it is night time, or no time for me!!

:flowerforyou:
  • I have another problem. I'm working out right now. I have to walk 20 more mins on the tredmill and do 4 more types of exercises. I haven't ate dinner but I'm thinking about peanut butter & banana sandwich. Do I go ahead and eat it or will it ruin the workouts/walking I just did?
  • gis35
    gis35 Posts: 54
    when i restarted my excercise program, i did 1hr/day: 1/2hr in the morning &1/2hr in the evening. It was really hard to motivate myself to do the pm workout. Now i just do my entire workout in the AM, so i don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day. Judging by some of the other replies, i guess it depends on the person and how you feel after your workout:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I have another problem. I'm working out right now. I have to walk 20 more mins on the tredmill and do 4 more types of exercises. I haven't ate dinner but I'm thinking about peanut butter & banana sandwich. Do I go ahead and eat it or will it ruin the workouts/walking I just did?
    You most DEFINITELy want to refuel your body after a workout! Sounds like a perfect combo...protein/carb:drinker: :bigsmile:

I eat something light before I workout...also a protein carb...but some people don't chose to eat before a workout as they say they feel sick. I think it's something your body gets used to. I feel it's VERY important for myself to fuel up a bit before I throw my body into a workout mode...though I try and do it an hour and some before I hit the gym... Same with after the workout...you really want to be eating something within 45 minutes or so after...to refuel you body after all the hits it took draining the carbs.. the protein gives you the boost you need to keep your body heathly.

Also you definitely want to be drinking plenty of water before during and after your workouts...our bodies lose a lot of water during that time... in fact, drink plenty all day and it will become such a habit it won't be any big deal anymore... but I do drink much more during my workouts!

Hth...
    FC:heart:
This discussion has been closed.